Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 28 Dec 2015 (Monday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

RAW or JPEG?

sun5150
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 03, 2016 23:47 |  #16

Raw. Helps for lower light and high ISO.

sponsored links
McNeese72
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 909 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by McNeese72.

Feb 01, 2016 14:12 |  #17

When I'm shooting sports, I'm usually shooting for the SID of a local university and I'm shooting RAW + JPEG. I shoot with a 7DII and the raw goes on the CF card and the jpeg goes to the SD card. I give the photos on the SD card to the SID for his use and I use the RAW on the CF cards for my own use.

Works for my situation..

Edit: Now if I'm shooting something for me only, I'm shooting raw.

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

McGregNi
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 01, 2016 14:31 |  #18

I see in-camera JPEGs as essentially an easy form of 'Batch Processing' ..... ie they are good for situations when you will shoot a high number of images in similar lighting and conditions, and would present them in a series. Certainly when used like this they can cut down on processing time, perhaps leaving just cropping and small brightness & contrast tweaks to be adjusted.

This assumes of course that the custom image settings have been well set on the camera. Not much point if you don't get things looking right on the camera, in particular white balance, saturation, contrast, shadow / highlight corrections, lens corrections. All of these will be burned in to the jpeg at capture, arguably in an optimised manner by the camera processor. If you don't get them right on the camera before shooting, then the further work and 're-editing' needed on the computer would defeat the point of shooting jpeg in the first place, I feel.

davethejnz
245 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 01, 2016 18:19 |  #19

If i can expand on this thread a bit without being rude - The majority seem to favor RAW. What type of RAW - M Raw or S RAW or normal RAW. What is the difference ??

Novice - So novice that I can learn from anyone even beginners
David

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,217 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 01, 2016 19:30 as a reply to  @ davethejnz's post |  #20

Normal RAW. MRAW and SRAW are just lower res RAW images. No point in buying a decent DSLR and then shooting in a lower res than it is capable of.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Dan ­ Marchant
5,217 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 01, 2016 19:37 |  #21

I shoot RAW.
Storage space isn't an issue for me as it is so cheap.
Processing time isn't an issue as I developed a preset for my sports images that Lightroom automatically applies during import. All I need to do then is rate the images, then straighten/crop the ones that are top rated and export them.
If there are any problem images that need actual processing (for whatever reason) I have the flexibility to do that as they are RAW.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,344 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 01, 2016 19:42 |  #22

100% RAW, with a JPG backup on the second card (5DIII).

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

sun5150
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 07, 2016 00:08 |  #23

I shoot RAW.
Easier to process when you're in low light and you get better results.

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 09, 2016 06:40 as a reply to  @ post 17835731 |  #24

JPEGs for me. I lost my way a bit a while back and tried raw. Was fiddling too much in the pp work (because I was learning new programs, like Rawtherapee, and LR etc) and got bored.

I too shoot about 100,000 per year - last year was lower due to ill health but I'm back in the groove for this year. There's a lot able to be done with JPEGs with GIMP and layer masking if one fancies fiddling. I tend to shoot so many that the settings have become automatic nowadays. The camera screen gives me a true image with JPEGs and I cannot process (nor can my PC) a couple thousand JPEGs as quick as my camera.

A while back I got into event work where we printed onsite directly from the camera. That's a good experience and not for the faint hearted either. When you've queues of folks awaiting their images at the printer the most fastest and immediate medium is all that can cope.

There's ways and means of getting the images in JPEGs but, this is the important bit, you have to 'think' like a JPEG shooter. There has to be that acceptance that you have to work harder sometimes when lighting gets tough and varying the position to use the light better - I look up the sun position ahead of the event and plan if it's on the highway where to put myself. Cyclo-X organisers often have the finish going North and at 2pm that's a heavy shadow over the riders face and body frontal so a lap or so before the end we practise fill-flash levels and leave them dialled in for the winner. Raw would mean you just whack up the slider in post to compensate but that's no good when the printer is in the boot of the car and the winner wants his there and then.

Everyone to their own... ;-)a

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,741 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 09, 2016 09:28 |  #25

I have shot JPG on the last 8 games, and have had to go back to the raw files (I shoot raw + jpg just in case) probably about 10 times out of 250+ shots per game. I have made sure I dialed in the camera's settings so that I can work with the JPG results afterwards and get good results. For something that you shoot consistently week after week, this kind of workflow makes things much easier.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Sibil
Cream of the Crop
8,635 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 14, 2016 10:42 |  #26

I shoot JPEG only, but I am not a pro, or get paid. I shoot soccer and basketball, sometimes 100s of shots per week, if the team coach, booster club president, etc., ask me to be the team photographer. My JPEGs get 10-15 seconds post processing time max, per image. I don't have the time to spend longer per image.

Dan ­ Marchant
5,217 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 15, 2016 00:48 |  #27

Sibil wrote in post #17897834 (external link)
My JPEGs get 10-15 seconds post processing time max, per image. I don't have the time to spend longer per image.

Most of my RAW images take the same amount of time. Preset is applied automatically on import so all I do is crop and straighten.

Dan Marchant

kanecvl
34 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Apr 25, 2016 20:52 |  #28

95% of the time I shoot raw

medd63
362 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Apr 25, 2016 21:27 |  #29

RAW - I am an amateur enthusiast, not a high volume shooter. To me post is 50% of the image. Again to me, if its not worth spending time processing, its not worth shooting.

YMMV

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

PBest78
164 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 28, 2016 08:07 |  #30

Raw here too, I'm shooting ice hockey and the lighting at the rink is far from ideal, raw allows me to compensate easier than trying to edit jpg.

sponsored links

16,682 views & 32 likes for this thread
RAW or JPEG?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.