Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 18 Jan 2016 (Monday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon possible switch to Nikon

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 07, 2016 02:42 as a reply to  @ post 17888898 |  #31

I mean, that's great, but it still doesn't change that I've seen maybe seven copies of Nikon (D2n, D200, D300, D300s, D700) bodies and quite a few lenses between myself and my colleagues with the same rubber problem. Maybe you haven't had Nikon gear for as long as I and others have.

Regardless, they're both great platforms and systems compared to other brands. Hopefully Nikon gets restored to its former glory with the D5/D500 and ups its repair services in North America. Everyone gains in the end when that happens.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

sponsored links
power ­ shot
57 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 07, 2016 06:34 |  #32

idkdc wrote in post #17888850 (external link)
The cost of a 100-400 + 7DII and D500 + 200-500 is about the same. Try them out.

only about the same because the 7d2 has been out on the market all this time
then again, maybe the 7d2 is that much cheaper now because of threads like the 400 page long one here with complaints about its focus problems amongst other forums with same complaints

power ­ shot
57 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 07, 2016 06:44 |  #33

nqjudo wrote in post #17888851 (external link)
There are millions upon millions of fantastic wildlife and BIF images shot with both systems before the D810 and 5D3 ever existed. What does it prove?

no one is talking about past systems, what it IS proving is that it can be done with a D810 that johnf3f is making it sound like it can't be done, to me that is not a knowledgeable point of view, all it shows is he has a personal agenda against Nikon, he can't even get a proper exposure, i mean come on, that really shows the signs of a poor photographer that he has to blame the equipment for his own shortcomings.
maybe that is why photographers like that need a 1dx, shoot at 12fps, SOMETHING has to come out right out of all that, focused and properly exposed

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 07, 2016 07:04 |  #34

power shot wrote in post #17888980 (external link)
only about the same because the 7d2 has been out on the market all this time
then again, maybe the 7d2 is that much cheaper now because of threads like the 400 page long one here with complaints about its focus problems amongst other forums with same complaints

You got some axe to grind?

power ­ shot
57 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 07, 2016 07:08 |  #35

idkdc wrote in post #17888995 (external link)

yep, against misinformation

Somebloke
633 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Feb 07, 2016 07:08 |  #36

You complain about Nikon rubber=informative

He complains about 7D2= axe to grind

Lol

power ­ shot
57 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by power shot.

Feb 07, 2016 07:13 |  #37

and from reading this thread and the Nikon feeding Canon thread it would seem to me that it is you and john with the axes to grind against Somebloke

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 07, 2016 07:15 |  #38

power shot wrote in post #17888998 (external link)
yep, against misinformation

Misinformation, how? They're currently the same cost. "give both a try and see what you like" is misinformation how?

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Feb 07, 2016 07:46 |  #39

Somebloke wrote in post #17889020 (external link)
Uh huh....lol

So if I had personal experience of a 5d3 turning into a pumpkin when used after midnight then you are saying that comment would be fine, but if I based a comment on hundreds of other like minded opinions it is grinding an axe.

Gotchya....:rolleyes:

OK, out of the blue straw man aside, looking through some of your past posts seems like you've pretty much got the same hostile tone and roll your eyes a lot since day one. I worked newspaper and had access to tons of Nikon gear. Those were just my observances. Quoting other forum threads on other websites and Flickr pages (I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend) in some weird goal of tearing one company down in favor of another doesn't seem to be contributing much.

I said, I noticed my grips falling off a lot. Try both brands and see what you like!

Power shot says, I heard there are tons of autofocus issues, so buy the D500, it'll cream the 7dii. All based on hearsay and not having held the cameras in his hands.

Guess what, I've held both cameras in my hand and tried them out. They're both great cameras. So my only advice to the OP was to try them both out if and when he gets the chance.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc. (3 edits in all)

Feb 07, 2016 07:49 |  #40

power shot wrote in post #17889023 (external link)
and yet you try and discourage a potential Nikon buyer with your ex

sold my 7d and the couple lenses i had long ago and moved to the D300s and never looked back or regretted it, and same as Tim, never yet had a problem with any rubber coming off

Uh because it happened, and no I didn't discourage him if you read through my posts at all, if anything I encouraged him to try both Canon and Nikon out to see for himself.

Someone mentioned that there is no difference between the Nikon and canon 24-70, and I just pointed out a minor difference in build. I never said it was a deal breaker, just something to note. Jesus.

And I've had/used the D3s, D700, D300s, D300, D7000, D7100, 17-35, 28-70, 24-70,80-200,70-200 VR I, 300 2.8, 400 2.8, D2n, 20, 50, 60, 85, 105, 135, 200 f2 with several copies of d and g duplicates so maybe I've been through a larger sample size?

Cormac
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,025 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 07, 2016 09:22 |  #41

Ha, this has become quite the popcorn eating thread! Good reading all! lol, anyway to be honest the D810 blows my budget wide open. I'm sure its a fantastic camera. But I'm already had to cut myself off at 2k for body. As is will take a long ass time to save that much, if I were to go with the D500. For that price I can get the 7DII with 500 left over to put toward glass. The D7200 would leave me with a grand left over and possibly give me some damn nice glass.

Don't know what I want. Yet that 400 page thread about 7DII focus problems is discouraging. That coupled with the poor battery life does not bode well for that camera. IMO. I have experience with canon. Not much mind you, but I'm comfortable with the menus. Went to best buy yesterday for an SD card and stopped to play with the toys! Picked up a 7200 and was so lost trying to navigate the menus. It was far less than intuitive for me. Plus to be honest it didn't feel right in my hands. I plan to rent something when I go to Indy in september. Looking forward to shooting some drag racing! Whichever I rent will most likely be what I end up buying. Unless I find myself fighting with the camera more than enjoying the shooting experience. Since it will be an all day affair.

As for the service issue. My local camera shop is primarily nikon. Like the forums here are primarily canon. This place doesn't have one sign on the outside that says canon. They have nikon signage only. They sell canon obviously. As well as any other brand. But the people there are nikon junkies. Only one guy that works there shoots canon exclusively. So I'd assume as far as nikon service goes, I'd be taken care of at this place if I go that route.

I want to die peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming, terrified, like his passengers.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,805 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt.

Feb 07, 2016 13:42 as a reply to  @ post 17888535 |  #42

Do you have an opportunity to go to a store which carries both cameras that you are considering, so you can mount a long lens on each and handle them a bit in the store?

Cameras are a lot like cars in some ways...the stats may seem to indicate you want Car A, but the way it feels to you when driving, in
A) characteristics on the road and in
B) characteristics on your backside and in
C) characteristics of the controls
...makes Car B the better suited car for YOU!

Keep in mind your familiarity with Canon menu structure might give it some advantage for you, but also poke around a look for some controls that you seldom use, and see how intuitive (or not) the menu system is for finding that control in both cameras.
Even Ken Rockwell, who is often considered to be 'mr nikon', gives preference to Canon controls and menu...which says something about the fundamental diffference (for him).

Controls may have better 'fit' for you, better 'feel', better location on the camera on one camera vs. another. (We have seen Sony take a step backward on their newest bodies, according to dpreview.com reviews.) Take the opinions expressed on POTN with a grain of salt, make mental note of what possible issues to look for (which others have brought up) and comfirm them or cast aside as non-issue for you. And strongly keep in mind that the 'issue' can be quite context specific, so for your photography it might be a real problem or no problem at all.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 07, 2016 14:55 as a reply to  @ Cormac's post |  #43

"Don't know what I want. Yet that 400 page thread about 7DII focus problems is discouraging. That coupled with the poor battery life does not bode well for that camera. IMO."
I wouldn't worry too much about that thread as there is a lot of discussion around a very few people's problems. No mass produced item is perfect every time! If it's any help my 7D2 missed AF on about 12 of 200 images on it's first outing for birds in flight, I can't remember having any issues with static subjects, this all assumes that I do my part! I should say the the birds were Short Eared Owls so it's not like a kingfisher in flight!
I have not, yet, had to change a battery in the field so I am finding the battery life fine though more is always better! My battery grip arrived on Friday I can easily double the battery capacity now.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 07, 2016 15:31 |  #44

Bob_A wrote in post #17888852 (external link)
Wellll ... you're really exaggerating ... :)

There's not much difference between the Nikon 24-70 and the Canon 24-70 II (the Canon is marginally better), however the new Nikon 24-70 IS is marginally better than the Canon. I'll also take the Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR over the Canon, although, again, there's really not much difference between the two (both are really good lenses).

Below 200mm the one zoom lens that Canon has where Nikon has no equal is the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II. And of course Canon has no equal to the Nikon 14-24.

Also, Nikon has not had a camera that competes with the 7D segment since the D300. The D500 will be the 7DII (or future 7DIII) competitor.

You are quite right as it turns out I was exaggerating! I have just found a used Nikon 800 F5.6 for sale (I couldn't find one when I posted) so my price comparison is no longer valid - it would only cost me around £3000 ($4500?) to change my most used lens - bargain! Also I had completely forgotten about the Nikon 16-35 F4 - my bad! My reading around suggested that the Canon 24-70 f2.8 V2 edged the newer Nikon, your research has given you a different conclusion so they must be close - let's call that one a draw.
So yes my original comparison was wrong and should perhaps have read "3 equivalent lenses, 1 inferior lens". As to the camera bodies things may well change when the D5/D500 hit the shops but then the price difference goes up even more!

The point is that it can, sometimes, be hugely expensive to change systems which is why I am concerned that the OP get the best system for their needs in the first place. It doesn't matter which system it is:-)

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 07, 2016 15:40 |  #45

johnf3f wrote in post #17889413 (external link)
"Don't know what I want. Yet that 400 page thread about 7DII focus problems is discouraging. That coupled with the poor battery life does not bode well for that camera. IMO."
I wouldn't worry too much about that thread as there is a lot of discussion around a very few people's problems. No mass produced item is perfect every time! If it's any help my 7D2 missed AF on about 12 of 200 images on it's first outing for birds in flight, I can't remember having any issues with static subjects, this all assumes that I do my part! I should say the the birds were Short Eared Owls so it's not like a kingfisher in flight!
I have not, yet, had to change a battery in the field so I am finding the battery life fine though more is always better! My battery grip arrived on Friday I can easily double the battery capacity now.

I didn't read through all 400 pages, but to my knowledge with my experiences with the 7DII, 5D3, and 1DX and the pages I did read in those threads, a lot of posts had to do with user error, and there were a small percentage of those posts that were indeed manufacturer sample variation.

sponsored links

11,409 views & 40 likes for this thread
Canon possible switch to Nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.