Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 06:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking about buying a EF-S 17-55 f/2.8

Indiana25
44 posts
Joined Nov 2013

Jan 31, 2016 06:22 |  #1

Hi All --

I am thinking about buying a 17-55 for my 70D as I would benefit from a constant lower aperature. This lens has been around for a while and I wondered if anyone had heard any speculation that it would be updated, particularly with the proliferation of STM lenses which are deemed by many to be very good bang for buck.

Thoughts?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,937 posts
Gallery: 1382 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 31, 2016 06:23 |  #2

Heya,

I doubt you'll see it updated any time soon.

Get a refurb or used one.

Also it has a constant higher (maximum) aperture than other slower zooms, not lower. ;)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,561 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 31, 2016 07:02 |  #3

The 17-55IS is still a fantastic lens and worth buying. Go for it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

TerminalCity
237 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by TerminalCity.

Jan 31, 2016 20:01 |  #4

It has been my most-used lens since I got it ~3years ago. Renders contrast and colours very nicely.
No idea if it might or might not be refreshed, but as it stands it's still a very nice lens. Not quite as sharp wide open as say the 24-70 II, but the IS can be useful and although I think I should sell it as with the 24-70 and 10-22 I can otherwise cover the same range on APS-C - yet I still can't quite bring myself to do it.

Edit: I also have the 18-135 STM. Don't think it has been on my camera since I got the 17-55 f/2.8; it just doesn't have the "pop" that the 17-55 has. I hang onto it in case I want to do video some time and want both smoother focussing and softer images.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,926 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 31, 2016 20:26 |  #5

Used one on these boards right now. Do it!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 01, 2016 12:29 |  #6

I have had mine for several years. If mine broke today (beyond fixing), I would have one ordered and on the way to me. For a crop this is a fantastic lens.
It is probably my most used lens. Weddings, Senior pics, Graduations, family events, Church directory pics, parties, any group pics. I love it.

A friend of mine just bought a Sigma 17-50 f2.8. I saw some of the pics from it on his 60D. They looked very good. It is near 1/2 the price of the Canon.

For my money, I would still get the Canon.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

barsoum
142 posts
Gallery: 53 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2015

Feb 01, 2016 12:52 |  #7

This lens been attached to my T6I exclusively, worth every penny spent on it.
I bought mine second hand, didnt think twice about.
if anything was to happen to this lens, would buy another one same day.

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,042 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 01, 2016 12:55 |  #8

Can't say more than what everyone else has said. This is a top notch lens. Highly recommended.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

LastX
33 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 05, 2016 19:49 |  #9

Indiana25 wrote in post #17880062 (external link)
Hi All --

I am thinking about buying a 17-55 for my 70D as I would benefit from a constant lower aperature. This lens has been around for a while and I wondered if anyone had heard any speculation that it would be updated, particularly with the proliferation of STM lenses which are deemed by many to be very good bang for buck.

Thoughts?

It's a great lens as it is.

It's hard to say if it updated in any way.

Silver-Halide
799 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 05, 2016 19:55 |  #10

I've owned it. Its ok I guess, a little rich for my tastes though, all things considered.
'
If I were back to shooting crop sensor: Id rather have a couple of fixed, uber fast lenses and the kit zoom: say a 35mm f/2 and a 50mm f/1.8 STM all three for less money :lol:

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

feeda
94 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 06, 2016 03:13 |  #11

Silver-Halide wrote in post #17887534 (external link)
If I were back to shooting crop sensor: Id rather have a couple of fixed, uber fast lenses and the kit zoom: say a 35mm f/2 and a 50mm f/1.8 STM all three for less money :lol:

I'd definitely prefer my 17-55 over 3 affordable lenses. The 17-55 has great quality, IS, and f/2.8 (faster than the kit lens and not too much slower than the primes). Different strokes, just wish it were a bit wider, say 15mm :-)

deanedward
397 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 06, 2016 03:39 |  #12

go for it!

I had one as well when I still had my 60D and kept it for a good 2~3 years and I was extremely happy with it. Versatile, really good IQ and the IS comes in handy. People have advised to turn off the IS when not necessary to help it last longer so just follow that and you're good to go.

Make yourself heard
Canon EOS 6D Mark II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2 USM, Speedlite 430EX
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/deanmejos/ (external link)

Silver-Halide
799 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 06, 2016 13:13 |  #13

feeda wrote in post #17887784 (external link)
I'd definitely prefer my 17-55 over 3 affordable lenses. The 17-55 has great quality, IS, and f/2.8 (faster than the kit lens and not too much slower than the primes). Different strokes, just wish it were a bit wider, say 15mm :-)

Indeed. Not only does it depend on what you like to shoot, but how you like to shoot it. If you don't like to change lenses, then the 17-55mm is definitely a winner. I wound up also owning a 10-22mm for landscapes and I found a 17-55mm f/2.8 to be redundant, especially with a Fast 50 in my life.

Plus, I personally like having a shallow depth of field in my photos, and 2.8 on a crop doesn't really facilitate that. That's why I'd go with a 50mm f/1.8 STM, a 28mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2.0, and a cheap kit zoom (18-55mmish), which, stopped down, doesn't give up much to the 17-55mm.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by Kent Clark.

Feb 08, 2016 16:28 |  #14

All I can say is that my copy has now broken twice in less than 2 years. I didn't drop it, it wasn't physically damaged. 18 months ago it stopped communicating with my 30D, suggested I clean the contacts. Nothing worked. I sent it to Canon and they charged me $250 to fix the AF and IS. Last weekend I got the same error message on my 70D. I'm a little fed up with the quality of this lens right now.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,561 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 08, 2016 16:35 |  #15

Kent Clark wrote in post #17890692 (external link)
All I can say is that my copy has now broken twice in less than 2 years. I didn't drop it, it wasn't physically damaged. 18 months ago it stopped communicating with my 30D, suggested I clean the contacts. Nothing worked. I sent it to Canon and they charged me $250 to fix the AF and IS. Last weekend I got the same error message on my 70D. I'm a little fed up with the quality of this lens right now.

As with any mechanical device, most are fine, some are great, and some are bad. Sounds like you got one of the latter.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

3,064 views & 1 like for this thread
Thinking about buying a EF-S 17-55 f/2.8
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.