Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 18 Jan 2016 (Monday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon possible switch to Nikon

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,258 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 08, 2016 18:15 |  #61

The 7D2 has a lot of options for modifying the AF Servo focus tracking function of the camera. It takes a while to read through and understand how to set it up for various scenarios. Coming from the 7D, that was the big difference in terms of new learning for me.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
3,949 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 08, 2016 18:35 |  #62

power shot wrote in post #17889566 (external link)
now this post is quite ironic
by what you say, its taken you "last few months!" to figure out the 7d2 is "shaping up rather better than expected in the AF department"
but on the other hand, you were handed someone else's Nikon, for what? maybe a few minutes of shooting and that was now enough for you to go around the forum here preaching on how the D4/D4s doesn't even compare to your 1dx
now THAT there is funny!!

Approximately an hour the first time and a bit longer the second (later model cameras). Unfortunately is's not funny and it did only take me a few minutes to see the differences in the AF - I thinks that is disappointing not funny, don't you? I should state that the Nikon cameras were set up by two gentlemen who are significantly better bird/wildlife photographers than I am so I have to assume that their AF settings were on or close to the mark. The purpose of the exercise was for them to try my camera and lens which had been set up by me (oh dear!). On the first occasion that was "out of the box" as far as AF was concerned and "Case 5" on the second. I was simply using their gear to have something to do whilst they tried my gear and yes I quickly found that I was not bowled over by the AF. I don't have very much experience of Nikons - however the owners did. Within a very short time they could see (and use) the AF superiority of the 1DX and were not very happy, but very polite - they are nice guys.

As to the weather! I have had the 7D2 since early December and have used it (in the field) on 3 occasions and only once in reasonable light - so no I will not give a definitive opinion on how good or bad it is! I can say that on it's first outing in absolutely appalling light and a little haze it did at least only miss focus on 12 out of just over 200 images of Short Eared Owls in flight so it has promise. Pity the images were crap but no camera would have got worthwhile images that day! AF case settings were out of the box.

You are correct though it would have been more informative if I posted the Nikon owners thoughts on the 1DX AF as they know their cameras better but were totally new to the 1DX but still found it somewhat faster, more accurate and with better tracking - their opinion not mine. I thought there was less difference than they did.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 09, 2016 13:38 |  #63

johnf3f wrote in post #17890840 (external link)
Approximately an hour the first time and a bit longer the second (later model cameras). Unfortunately is's not funny and it did only take me a few minutes to see the differences in the AF - I thinks that is disappointing not funny, don't you? I should state that the Nikon cameras were set up by two gentlemen who are significantly better bird/wildlife photographers than I am so I have to assume that their AF settings were on or close to the mark. The purpose of the exercise was for them to try my camera and lens which had been set up by me (oh dear!). On the first occasion that was "out of the box" as far as AF was concerned and "Case 5" on the second. I was simply using their gear to have something to do whilst they tried my gear and yes I quickly found that I was not bowled over by the AF. I don't have very much experience of Nikons - however the owners did. Within a very short time they could see (and use) the AF superiority of the 1DX and were not very happy, but very polite - they are nice guys.

As to the weather! I have had the 7D2 since early December and have used it (in the field) on 3 occasions and only once in reasonable light - so no I will not give a definitive opinion on how good or bad it is! I can say that on it's first outing in absolutely appalling light and a little haze it did at least only miss focus on 12 out of just over 200 images of Short Eared Owls in flight so it has promise. Pity the images were crap but no camera would have got worthwhile images that day! AF case settings were out of the box.

You are correct though it would have been more informative if I posted the Nikon owners thoughts on the 1DX AF as they know their cameras better but were totally new to the 1DX but still found it somewhat faster, more accurate and with better tracking - their opinion not mine. I thought there was less difference than they did.

Just ignore him. Don't feed him.

1DXII(2) | 5D4 | D850 | 8-800mm

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,857 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 09, 2016 16:36 |  #64

It seems some have a hard time swallowing any deficiency in AF. These all are AF issues quoted from dpreview.com comparative review of the high end interchangeable lens cameras

Sony A7R
What we don't (like):

 Slow AF in low light due to CDAF only

Sony A7S
What we don't (like):

 Slow AF in low light due to CDAF only
 Lower Raw dynamic range than a7

Sony A7SII
What we don't (like):

 Contrast Detect AF struggles in low light and with low contrast subjects

Nikon Df
What we don't (like):

 Disappointing AF performance in moderate to low light

Nikon D750
What we don't (like):

 Limited, centrally-concentrated cross-type AF points
 AF frame coverage is limitedoor live view / movie AF

Nikon D810
What we don't (like):

 Low light AF significantly worse than competition
 Limited, centrally-concentrated cross-type AF points

Canon 5DIII
What we don't:

 AF subject tracking capabilities significantly lag behind peers

The new 5DS and A7RII had no AF issues that they mentioned.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Feb 09, 2016 17:21 |  #65

Bob_A wrote in post #17889758 (external link)
The Canon 24-70 V2 only edges the new Nikon dead in the center. 1/3 from center, where most of us compose our subject, the Nikon is sharper.

Not according to real tests: http://www.the-digital-picture.com …omp=0&FLIComp=0​&APIComp=0 (external link)

andrewbarrymore
44 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Feb 10, 2016 11:09 as a reply to  @ post 17888535 |  #66

Just wait until the 5D Mk4's release!

sponsored links

10,363 views & 40 likes for this thread
Canon possible switch to Nikon
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.