Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 17 Oct 2015 (Saturday) 22:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How close to bounds marker in football or basketball?

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 17, 2015 22:50 |  #1

How close to the sidelines, end line, out-of-bounds lines are we photographers allowed to be? Are there official regulations for football or basketball or is it up to the local field "owner" to set the distance?

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
Echo63
Goldmember
2,867 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Echo63.

Oct 18, 2015 10:45 |  #2

I haven't seen anything in the rules, but around here (Perth, Australia) it varies by event and stadium.

Basketball we typically sit on the floor in the 1.5m wide strip between the baseline and the first row of seats
normally leaning back on the barrier fence.

AFL and Rugby - with your back to the fence - basically as far back as possible

Soccer and netball - behind the signs that sit round the pitch/court

If you don't know, ask the Media Liason person (if there isn't one, check with the umpires/scorers/organi​ser)

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​com (external link)
Gear listhttps://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2463426&pos​tcount=385

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2015 02:14 |  #3

Are you talking about kids/teens playing in school or college/pro?

I do high school football and rugby for the local paper and I get as close as possible to the sideline, sometimes even a little over, but never in the way, to get the shot. Even shooting CIS University soccer in town, I still get amazing access and other than the refs needing right not he sideline, I go where I want.

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 19, 2015 16:10 as a reply to  @ the flying moose's post |  #4

Thanks for the replies.

I'm talking about High School sports here. In the past I've gotten as close as I needed to get the shot, but always backing away some when the action approached.

I'm in a new area and the school athletic director said "stay behind the orange line" which at this school is about 8 feet away from the sidelines. If I stay there I have players, coaches, ball-boys, refs, medical support folks and statisticians getting in the way of my shots. I ended up ignoring the AD's rules and reverting to my normal practices.

I recall a few years ago reading that the NCAA had rules at the college level but I can't find them now.

- Keith

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2015 16:46 as a reply to  @ n1as's post |  #5

Oh, for high school, I just go where I want. I have yet to be asked to move and am well aware of the risks of getting run over. I'm usually about 20 yards up the sideline from the line of scrimmage so I am not in the way of anything.

pat.kane
663 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 19, 2015 20:41 |  #6

n1as wrote in post #17752244 (external link)
I ended up ignoring the AD's rules and reverting to my normal practices.

Do that in my area and you wouldn't be shooting at their school again, inside or out.

We're usually back 5 or 6-ft at my high schools and it isn't an issue working around the others unless the athlete is skirting the sideline. I did have one video guy who kept moving to the edge of the field on each play and he was a pain to shoot around. I ended up going to the other side of the field and dealt with the chain gang obstruction as at least I knew where they'd be.

And be mindful of the lines for the different sports. I drifted onto the field one time for field hockey not realizing I crossed their line as I was looking at the football line. Fortunately, the action was no where near me and the ref gave me a quick shout to move back, which I did with a red face :oops:

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,631 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Oct 19, 2015 22:01 as a reply to  @ pat.kane's post |  #7

It also depends on your location too. In Canada, I find that our high school sports is not taken nearly as seriously as it is in the USA and I could probably get away with a lot more than I could down there.

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 20, 2015 11:36 |  #8

pat.kane wrote in post #17752636 (external link)
Do that in my area and you wouldn't be shooting at their school again, inside or out.

Full story is I don't recall exactly what the AD said, but I believe it was "when the action is close stay behind the red line". If the rule is really "stay behind the red line at all times" then there are number of other people who would need to be kicked out as well. Unless of course AD wants to enforce the rules in a somewhat arbitrary manner.

Unfortunately the local newspaper photog was not there so I wasn't able to see where they stood.

- Keith

pat.kane
663 posts
Joined May 2005

Oct 20, 2015 21:25 |  #9

Some schools are more strict than others, even in my area. One requires a field pass for all football games, even the media. Another only requires a pass for the big games. Most don't require a pass at all, but make some attempt to mind who is on the sideline. Personally, I'd be in favor of getting credentials for every game. At least people would have to explain why they needed access, and no, I wouldn't have an issue with team photographers (parent or not) having access.

At the game I shot on Friday night, I looked up to find a mom standing ON THE FIELD OF PLAY in the corner of the end zone during a close-in field goal attempt. I was stunned. I don't think anyone else noticed and she was a good 5-yards onto the field. Good thing they didn't fake the field goal and send a pass her way.

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

n1as
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 21, 2015 12:35 |  #10

pat.kane wrote in post #17754030 (external link)
At the game I shot on Friday night, I looked up to find a mom standing ON THE FIELD OF PLAY in the corner of the end zone during a close-in field goal attempt. I was stunned. I don't think anyone else noticed and she was a good 5-yards onto the field. Good thing they didn't fake the field goal and send a pass her way.

Oh. My. Word. That is crazy. I'm guessing she didn't have enough lens to get a close-up of her kid so she did the foot-zoom thing. By why in the end zone? Strange angle for a field goal attempt photo.

- Keith

sun5150
160 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 07, 2016 00:04 |  #11

In football stay away from the side line at least 3 to 4 feet. A lot of people don't noticed this. If a play is coming the down field the sideline referee will be running down and looking at the play and won't notice you. I was at a game and a rookie photographer got close and the ref ran into him. Ref told the coach and almost had all the photographers thrown of the field.
Also try to stay out of the players area. mostly 30 yard line to 30 yard line. This is their "house". They get in your way and you get in their way.

In basketball if you're shooting on the baseline. (sitting) at least 4 feet or so.

The number one thing is safety for yourself . The players in the game a lot of the time won't notice you're there and might run into you.

This is what I do. Some people will do differently.

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,232 posts
Gallery: 907 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 09, 2016 15:51 |  #12

In our stadium there is a dashed yellow line 5 yards off the field all the away around the field except for between the 25's which is the team box. Everybody is "supposed" to be behind this line. People will cheat until one of the refs or security moves them back. You are supposed to stay out of the team box for shooting but you can go around the back of it to change ends of the field.

If you stop the video at the link below at the 10-11 second mark, you can see the dashed yellow lines.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=UCTowr4z1_Y (external link)

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,621 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Zivnuska.

Feb 10, 2016 09:53 |  #13

McNeese72 wrote in post #17892019 (external link)
In our stadium there is a dashed yellow line 5 yards off the field all the away around the field except for between the 25's which is the team box. Everybody is "supposed" to be behind this line. People will cheat until one of the refs or security moves them back. You are supposed to stay out of the team box for shooting but you can go around the back of it to change ends of the field.

Doc

In our stadiums in Kansas, we have the same dashed line roughly 3-5 yards off the field. If everyone obeys the rule to stay behind the dashed line it works out well for everyone. When one person has to push it closer, then all the other shooters face the choice of also moving closer or being blocked by the offender as he/she obstructs the vision of others along the sideline. It is a pet peeve of mine and I've seen other working photogs call out those who simply must move an extra 2-3 yards closer when shooting players who are 25 yards away. My advice is to stay back behind the dashed line or whatever line the local authorities specify. It's safer and thoughtful to your photographing colleagues. None of us want a photog to become part of the story by interfering with a game. That's bad for everyone.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,232 posts
Gallery: 907 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 11, 2016 08:17 |  #14

Zivnuska wrote in post #17893002 (external link)
In our stadiums in Kansas, we have the same dashed line roughly 3-5 yards off the field. If everyone obeys the rule to stay behind the dashed line it works out well for everyone. When one person has to push it closer, then all the other shooters face the choice of also moving closer or being blocked by the offender as he/she obstructs the vision of others along the sideline. It is a pet peeve of mine and I've seen other working photogs call out those who simply must move an extra 2-3 yards closer when shooting players who are 25 yards away. My advice is to stay back behind the dashed line or whatever line the local authorities specify. It's safer and thoughtful to your photographing colleagues. None of us want a photog to become part of the story by interfering with a game. That's bad for everyone.

Phil

It seems like the biggest offenders here are the local TV guys shooting video for the sports news. :)

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,621 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 11, 2016 08:58 |  #15

McNeese72 wrote in post #17894191 (external link)
It seems like the biggest offenders here are the local TV guys shooting video for the sports news. :)

Doc

You are right about that!

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

sponsored links

6,536 views & 1 like for this thread
How close to bounds marker in football or basketball?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.