Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 04 May 2012 (Friday) 20:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Profoto Air Sync Remote won't fire Speedotron pack..

aroundlsu
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 04, 2012 20:02 |  #1

I am trying to fire an older Speedotron 4803CX pack using a Profoto Air Sync remote. I am using a short 3.5mm to household cable connected to the out terminal on the Air Sync. Pressing the test button results in nothing happening. I tried a second Air sync remote and, again, nothing happens.

I connected a Pocketwizard to the same cable and it fires the Speedotron pack. So I know the cable and the Speedotron sync terminal works.

I connected the Profoto Air Sync to a White Lightning mono light and it fired the WL unit. So I know the Profoto Air Sync unit works.

So, the problem seems to be some kind of compatibility between Profoto and Speedotron. The only thing I can think of is maybe I need a low voltage adapter? From what I understand, the Speedotron has a high voltage sync. Maybe the Profoto doesn't put out enough juice to fire it but the PW does?

Any other ideas?

For inquiring minds, the only reason I am bothering with all this is because I acquired a 4800ws Desisti Speedotron fresnel and would like to integrate this unique light into my Profoto system.

Teddy Smith, SOC
IATSE Local 600 Cinematographer

sponsored links
Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 04, 2012 20:32 |  #2

No ideas...like you, my Pocket Wizards work well with my Speedotrons.
How about using an optical slave in the Speedotron and using the other strobe that does work with the Air Sync to fire that?...just a thought.

Another thought (and this is really a long shot)...my fresnels won't fire if they're dialed down too low at the pack...they need a certain voltage to trip. Probably not the case here, but thought I'd throw it out.

I'd also be surprised if the Profoto unit didn't put out enough juice to trip the Speedotron...it doesn't take much...hek a regular pc->household from a camera will set them off, can't be much power there.

And this won't help over the weekend, but I've always had good luck with Speedotron's customer service, why not give them a call.

Best of luck, I'm sure it's frustrating. You'll be happy once you sort it out though, the fresnels will make it worth the effort.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 04, 2012 20:39 |  #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have been wanting to add a large fresnel to my kit for a long time and was disappointed everything works except the trigger.

An optical slave was indeed my next short term solution. I suppose I could run a standard extension cord from the slave to the pack so I can put the slave in a better position to see the light from the other strobes. Also thought about looping the Profoto remote through a pocket wizard since the PW fires the pack. But that's a rather silly solution.

Teddy Smith, SOC

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 04, 2012 20:55 as a reply to  @ aroundlsu's post |  #4

The extension cord will work well, I've done just that in the past.

I have 2- 8" and 1- 10" Norman (Bardwell/McAllister) fresnels modified to work with my Speedotrons, they get used virtually every day...couldn't imagine not having them.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 04, 2012 22:01 as a reply to  @ Foodguy's post |  #5

You may have noticed that Speedotron packs from the last few years are labeled LV. That stands for low voltage. Speedos have notoriously fried a lot of cameras with their high trigger voltage and that's where your problem lies. The AIR remote doesn't have the oomph to trip the Speedo.

I shoot PF AIR and have a Desisti fresnel converted with a Comet 4800WS flashtube to avoid the Speedo boat anchor size power packs. Speedos will liver longer than you will, provided you don't have to pick them up. :rolleyes:

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 04, 2012 22:15 |  #6

So do you think one of the speedotron low voltage adapters would solve my problem? Or at least be a good bet to try?

Teddy Smith, SOC

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 04, 2012 23:11 |  #7

aroundlsu wrote in post #14381728 (external link)
So do you think one of the speedotron low voltage adapters would solve my problem? Or at least be a good bet to try?

As far as I know it's the only option you have. That or go optical.

Call Flashclinic in New York(1-800-752-7536), they converted my Desisti and most likely yours too. They have decades of experience with Speedos and will know what you need to do.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,268 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 07, 2012 20:00 |  #8

Speedotrons are one brand of studio flash which are known to have polarity issues of the synch cord...even with direct cord connection between camera and flash, it may be necessary to flip an H-connection by 180 degrees to flip the polarity of the connection.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 07, 2012 20:29 |  #9

Wilt wrote in post #14395774 (external link)
Speedotrons are one brand of studio flash which are known to have polarity issues of the synch cord...even with direct cord connection between camera and flash, it may be necessary to flip an H-connection by 180 degrees to flip the polarity of the connection.

Tried that. No flash.

Teddy Smith, SOC

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 12, 2012 09:24 |  #10

Just as an update I got a Wein low voltage adapter, plugged everything in, and the fresnel fires with the Profoto Air. Everything is working great and it's a very beautiful and natural looking light. I have a magazine cover shoot today it will be tested on. Can post samples if anyone is interested.

Teddy Smith, SOC

mdelrossi
70 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 12, 2012 09:36 |  #11

Love to see the pics. Post pics of the setup as well.
mdr

Instagram: www.instagram.com/delr​ossiphotography
Facebook:www.facebook.com/Micha​elDelRossiPhotography (external link)

K.C.
319 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 12, 2012 13:49 |  #12

aroundlsu wrote in post #14420460 (external link)
Just as an update I got a Wein low voltage adapter, plugged everything in, and the fresnel fires with the Profoto Air.

K.C. wrote in post #14381674 (external link)
You may have noticed that Speedotron packs from the last few years are labeled LV. That stands for low voltage. Speedos have notoriously fried a lot of cameras with their high trigger voltage and that's where your problem lies. The AIR remote doesn't have the oomph to trip the Speedo.

;)

And yes, we'd love to see your fresnel shots.

I'm waiting for Fedex to deliver a 1200WS Comet pack today. I want to be able to take mine on location without having to lug a big pack with it. They're sweet lights.

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 13, 2012 13:06 |  #13

I started a thread with a report on using the fresnel yesterday. Feel free to ask questions.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1184804

Teddy Smith, SOC

NYC ­ SHEKI
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 10, 2016 17:04 |  #14

This was a huge help as I was dealing with the same issue and had no idea what to do about it... Thank you very much for the fix!
I know this is an old thread so to those dealing with the same issue you'll want to use Wein SSH, $49.95 at B&H (external link). Im guessing it's identical to the one Speedotron sells (guessing it's also made by Wein) for $71.95.
As pointed out in earlier posts, make sure your polarity is correct with both the voltage regulator as well as the sync cable.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

aroundlsu
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,430 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 10, 2016 17:52 |  #15

Yep! 3 years later and I'm still using this setup!

Teddy Smith, SOC

sponsored links

4,753 views & 0 likes for this thread
Profoto Air Sync Remote won't fire Speedotron pack..
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.