Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 11, 2016 05:16 |  #391

Gas Hog wrote in post #17894054 (external link)
His statement was that it was determined that it would be too easy to change settings when you did not want to.

I guess that scenario could happen if you had the LCD on (i.e. in menu mode) and brought the camera to your eye (though that does seem a mildly unusual way to use the camera).

Solutions would be:

1. Have a menu option to turn off the touchscreen if it bugs you
2. Have a proximity sensor to disable touch if the camera thinks you've put the viewfinder to your eye (OK, this needs hardware, but I believe such sensors have been used in cameras before)
3. Put a strip of electrical insulation tape on your nose  :p

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2016 05:37 |  #392

mwsilver wrote in post #17893280 (external link)
I use a Canon hand strap, rather than a wrist strap. I would have to remove my right hand from the strap to use a touch screen with my right hand.. Way to much work for too little return.

On the same note you would need to remove your hand if you wanted to use the menu.
Just because there is a touchscreen doesnt mean that the other dials are excluded. The touchscreen just adds another option.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2016 06:03 |  #393

idkdc wrote in post #17893404 (external link)
You guys with A7's wanting a touch screen in the 1DX Mark II, are you even prospective buyers of the 1DX II? Was it a dealbreaker that prevented you from purchasing the 1DX II or were you never even interested in buying one in the first place?

I hope we as a forum are allowed to discuss things.

elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2016 06:30 |  #394

sploo wrote in post #17894088 (external link)
I guess that scenario could happen if you had the LCD on (i.e. in menu mode) and brought the camera to your eye (though that does seem a mildly unusual way to use the camera).

Solutions would be:

1. Have a menu option to turn off the touchscreen if it bugs you
2. Have a proximity sensor to disable touch if the camera thinks you've put the viewfinder to your eye (OK, this needs hardware, but I believe such sensors have been used in cameras before)
3. Put a strip of electrical insulation tape on your nose  :p

A simple double tap to turn the screen off and on would be an easy solution

alliben
304 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 11, 2016 08:17 |  #395

Gas Hog wrote in post #17894054 (external link)
At a Nikon event in WA a presenter was asked about the touch screen, and why it was only for image review. His statement was that it was determined that it would be too easy to change settings when you did not want to. Gary

I don't know if the Nikon touch screen is configured exactly like the 70D, but in almost 2 years, I don't recall ever changing settings by mistake.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 11, 2016 08:54 |  #396

elitejp wrote in post #17894109 (external link)
I hope we as a forum are allowed to discuss things.

We'll were you even interested in buying a 1dx ii in the first place? Are you or are you not Canon's target market for this camera?

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2016 09:29 |  #397

Sorry i didnt know that was a requirement to posting.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,874 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 11, 2016 09:31 |  #398

elitejp wrote in post #17894093 (external link)
On the same note you would need to remove your hand if you wanted to use the menu.
Just because there is a touchscreen doesnt mean that the other dials are excluded. The touchscreen just adds another option.

The 7D2 is so configurable and feature rich and with the intelligent viewfinder that I rarely need to go into the menus or use the Q button while I'm shooting.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2016 09:36 |  #399

Oh I believe it. My point being that its just another option and as long as it doesnt interfere with what you can do already then if they want to add a touchscreen or not i dont see it mattering either way.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,874 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 11, 2016 09:37 |  #400

elitejp wrote in post #17894129 (external link)
A simple double tap to turn the screen off and on would be an easy solution

Of course each additional step needed to use/activate/deactivat​e requires more time, attention to detail, and opens the possibility for mistakes. When all this is considered, including the potential for ruining a shot if the touchscreen is accidentally touched, it doesn't appear to be a feature that a pro would want to take a chance on.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 11, 2016 09:42 |  #401

elitejp wrote in post #17894271 (external link)
Sorry i didnt know that was a requirement to posting.

If you're never going to buy the camera, Canon won't ever waste resources on your personal wishlist. The customer is right (Peter Reed Miller, etc), and if you're not the customer, then their product dev team won't pursue a feature that wouldn't result in a sale anyways.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

elitejp
Goldmember
1,722 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 11, 2016 09:46 |  #402

true, but my phone is setup this way and I dont run into problems . As for taking longer and adding extra steps just time how much time you need to tap your fingers twice on a table.
But yes, if this implementation causes problems then it should by all means be removed.

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 11, 2016 10:14 |  #403

elitejp wrote in post #17894300 (external link)
true, but my phone is setup this way and I dont run into problems . As for taking longer and adding extra steps just time how much time you need to tap your fingers twice on a table.
But yes, if this implementation causes problems then it should by all means be removed.

I was listening to voicemails last night and accidentally deleted one by pressing the "7" on the touch screen with my cheek.

I talk to lots of folks who seem intent on punctuating their conversations with the beep of dialed numbers produced in the same way.

And I get a fair number of calls and voicemails from purses and pockets where the owner of the phone has no idea that I'm on the line...

Like I've said, touch screen functionality would be nice for a few more things than currently slotted, but as a 1Dx owner and a 1Dx II owner to be I'll stick with the buttons for camera controls during the shoot.

BTW, I finished configuring my Logitech Harmony 880 the other night and I am overjoyed to, once again, have real buttons to control my TV, DVR and accessories. My Logitech Harmony One with its craptastic touch screen is off to the dustbin...

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,619 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 11, 2016 10:29 |  #404

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17894326 (external link)
I was listening to voicemails last night and accidentally deleted one by pressing the "7" on the touch screen with my cheek.

I talk to lots of folks who seem intent on punctuating their conversations with the beep of dialed numbers produced in the same way.

And I get a fair number of calls and voicemails from purses and pockets where the owner of the phone has no idea that I'm on the line...

Like I've said, touch screen functionality would be nice for a few more things than currently slotted, but as a 1Dx owner and a 1Dx II owner to be I'll stick with the buttons for camera controls during the shoot.

BTW, I finished configuring my Logitech Harmony 880 the other night and I am overjoyed to, once again, have real buttons to control my TV, DVR and accessories. My Logitech Harmony One with its craptastic touch screen is off to the dustbin...

Yeah I agree with this sentiment. I sure have BUTT dialed a lot of people with my cell......I like what canon did.....im rough on my equipment.....i dont want to have to worry about a touch screen screwing up setting or what i am intending to do.....Im old school and want my buttons for camera controls. My fingers already know where t go with my current cameras. One less thing for me.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

RodS57
828 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 11, 2016 10:36 |  #405

I don't have any camera with a touch screen so can't really comment on the pros and cons based on experience.

A co-worker has the 70D and brought it to work a couple of weeks ago. In live view you can touch anywhere on the screen, the camera focuses on that position and takes the shot. Nice feature for candid shots. No moving focus points or recomposing. So maybe it does have some uses.

Ideal for Pondrader and his crowded deer shots. Compose with camera on the tripod and tap away. :-)

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

sponsored links

272,450 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.