Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 11, 2016 16:51 |  #421

jcothron wrote in post #17894662 (external link)
in all seriousness, Canon seems to have upped their game with this camera body. it's not the body for me since I shoot landscape, but it's definitely a large improvement unless real world tests fall apart. I didn't seen enough of a difference in the 5D3, and had no reason to get a 1DX or even this one. The 5DsR made me think really hard about picking up a new body though. What is most interesting to me about this release is what it means for the future of the 5D series (as in 5D4) or the 5DsR2. If the 4 happens, and it has something north of 30mp with this new sensor technology, I'll probably choose that. Failing that, I'll be looking at the next 5Ds.

yeah, i love everything about the camera except its size and mp. once i bought the 5dsr i never picked up my 5d3 or 7d2 ever again. can't wait 'till they incorporate some of this stuff into a 5dsr2.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

sponsored links
DJHaze596
Goldmember
1,398 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2012

Feb 11, 2016 16:59 |  #422

Xyclopx wrote in post #17894760 (external link)
yeah, i love everything about the camera except its size and mp. once i bought the 5dsr i never picked up my 5d3 or 7d2 ever again. can't wait 'till they incorporate some of this stuff into a 5dsr2.

There is nothing wrong with the size, Its a 5DSR with a Grip.

Canon C200 | Canon 5D Mark IV | 16-35 f4L IS USM | 24-105mm f4L
50mm STM | 70-200mm f2.8L II | 100-400mmL II | 400mm f2.8L IS USM
Previously Owned: 1DX Mark II | Canon 5D Mark IV | 7D Mark II | 1D Mark IV

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Xyclopx.

Feb 11, 2016 17:19 |  #423

DJHaze596 wrote in post #17894766 (external link)

ummm.... k... no smiley face? guess good for you?

well, if you're 100% serious... i do have the grip for my 5d3. used it like 2x out of hundreds of outings since.

i spy a eos m in your signature but you also own a 1d4.... hmmmmmmmm..... -?

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 11, 2016 17:30 |  #424

It would seem that tolerances of others needs are diminishing in this thread.

Please remember that what may work for you is not always going to agree with what works for someone else. We are all different and have different preferences. Fighting over something that is 100% a personal preference will gain you nothing.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 11, 2016 18:16 |  #425

Van Gogh wrote in post #17892487 (external link)
Hi, thanks for input.
The thing is our company is planing to offer video coverage as well for weddings.
My logic was if 1DX mk2 is as good as the C100 v.2 than by getting a 1DX mk2 for the same price we would also have a nice camera in addition to a video recorded.
1DX mk2 also has 4K when needed whereas C100 mk2 doesn't.

Unfortunately C300 mk2 is a little bit out of the budget for now :-(

Really just depends on if you want to deal with external field recorders and ND filters.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Van Gogh.

Feb 11, 2016 20:50 |  #426

idkdc wrote in post #17894828 (external link)
Really just depends on if you want to deal with external field recorders and ND filters.

ND filter is not too big of a deal, just put a variable ND filter when in bright conditions.
Now the external sound recorders, I didn't think of that. Do you mean that Cinema Line cameras have XLR sound cable inputs for high quality recording through microphones directly mounted on camera?

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Feb 11, 2016 21:07 as a reply to  @ Van Gogh's post |  #427

A variable ND filter really softens up the image; even a high quality $400 one. Square glass solid ND's from Lee are probably the way to go to minimize image quality loss. Also a mattebox is needed with these filters to flag any stray light hitting the filters. Yup, Cinema EOS as well as the Sony equivalent have XLR inputs; a high quality shotgun microphone usually goes well with them.

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Van Gogh. (2 edits in all)

Feb 11, 2016 21:29 |  #428

idkdc wrote in post #17895030 (external link)
A variable ND filter really softens up the image; even a high quality $400 one. Square glass solid ND's from Lee are probably the way to go to minimize image quality loss. Also a mattebox is needed with these filters to flag any stray light hitting the filters. Yup, Cinema EOS as well as the Sony equivalent have XLR inputs; a high quality shotgun microphone usually goes well with them.

Variable ND probably does soften the image, but I also have solid 3 stop and 6 stop Breakthrough Photography non-variable (foxed) ND filters, which are said to be the best in the world as of right now.
That said, yes, XLR input is a major pro for Cinema Line.
H@@m, tough choice for me...

Wold you recommend getting a 1DX mk2 or a C100 mk2 for video all else being equal?

Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Feb 11, 2016 21:50 |  #429

Van Gogh wrote in post #17895052 (external link)
Variable ND probably does soften the image, but I also have solid 3 stop and 6 stop Breakthrough Photography non-variable (foxed) ND filters, which are said to be the best in the world as of right now.
That said, yes, XLR input is a major pro for Cinema Line.
H@@m, tough choice for me...

Wold you recommend getting a 1DX mk2 or a C100 mk2 for video all else being equal?

I would get the C100 Mark II for all documentary video. I would only get the 1DX Mark II (as I am planning on doing this April) in conjunction as a B-camera with the C100 Mark II as A-camera, or as an A-camera specifically for narrative film and for 120 fps 1080p exported to a Ninja Assasin or something, coupled with a $700 external audio field recorder (to get a decent preamp) and external microphones. I think the time to screw on ND filters is too much to use the 1DX II as an A-camera for documentary purpose. I would use it primarily as a still camera and ocassionally to get 120 fps. 4k at 800 MBps is 5GB per minute. That's insane storage, and something I don't foresee using in weddings anytime soon. I might change my mind in April when I do get the camera, but this is my preliminary plan at first. I think the 1DX II 4k and 120 fps plus ND's and external audio would make it more suited more for B-roll, or narrative and commercial work than time-sensitive and mission-critical documentary work like weddings.

I suppose the 1DXII can do well indoors or at night since that eliminates the ND filter problem as long as you can live with the external audio and syncing it in post on a deadline.

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 11, 2016 22:13 |  #430

idkdc wrote in post #17895070 (external link)
I would get the C100 Mark II for all documentary video. I would only get the 1DX Mark II (as I am planning on doing this April) in conjunction as a B-camera with the C100 Mark II as A-camera, or as an A-camera specifically for narrative film and for 120 fps 1080p exported to a Ninja Assasin or something, coupled with a $700 external audio field recorder (to get a decent preamp) and external microphones. I think the time to screw on ND filters is too much to use the 1DX II as an A-camera for documentary purpose. I would use it primarily as a still camera and ocassionally to get 120 fps. 4k at 800 MBps is 5GB per minute. That's insane storage, and something I don't foresee using in weddings anytime soon. I might change my mind in April when I do get the camera, but this is my preliminary plan at first. I think the 1DX II 4k and 120 fps plus ND's and external audio would make it more suited more for B-roll, or narrative and commercial work than time-sensitive and mission-critical documentary work like weddings.

I suppose the 1DXII can do well indoors or at night since that eliminates the ND filter problem as long as you can live with the external audio and syncing it in post on a deadline.

Yes I agree with you and what you say makes sense to me for the most part.
I guess what I really wish and what seperates the 1DX mk2 from C100 mk2 is the 4K.
I would really love having 4K as while I would not use that for weddings, I would probably use it whenever doing short movies/clips on creative projects.
C300 mk2 would solve all my problems (as has 4K if needed) but is a little bit expensive...

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc. (3 edits in all)

Feb 11, 2016 22:21 |  #431

Van Gogh wrote in post #17895088 (external link)
Yes I agree with you and what you say makes sense to me for the most part.
I guess what I really wish and what seperates the 1DX mk2 from C100 mk2 is the 4K.
I would really love having 4K as while I would not use that for weddings, I would probably use it whenever doing short movies/clips on creative projects.
C300 mk2 would solve all my problems (as has 4K if needed) but is a little bit expensive...

FYI, I believe Canon is running a 0% 24 month APR business financing program (for businesses with good enough credit) through its dealer network with the purchase of any cinema camera including the C300 Mark II until the end of Q1. Not sure if Canadian dealers are part of this promotion, but it's worth the look if that's something you're interested in.

I think the Dual CFAST for 4K backup and weather-sealing is pretty neat on that camera. Pretty much a combination of the 1DXII and C100 Mark II, with exception of the frame rates.

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 11, 2016 22:48 |  #432

idkdc wrote in post #17895092 (external link)
FYI, I believe Canon is running a 0% 24 month APR business financing program (for businesses with good enough credit) through its dealer network with the purchase of any cinema camera including the C300 Mark II until the end of Q1. Not sure if Canadian dealers are part of this promotion, but it's worth the look if that's something you're interested in.

I think the Dual CFAST for 4K backup and weather-sealing is pretty neat on that camera. Pretty much a combination of the 1DXII and C100 Mark II, with exception of the frame rates.

Thanks for the heads up, will take a look!

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 11, 2016 22:54 |  #433

jcothron wrote in post #17894662 (external link)
in all seriousness, Canon seems to have upped their game with this camera body. it's not the body for me since I shoot landscape, but it's definitely a large improvement unless real world tests fall apart.

Yeah. From what I've seen so far they have improved absolutely everything I wanted improved. I even got my headphone jack! :)

The 1Dx and even the 5D3 were dragged through similar muck between announcement and shipment. Both, as it turns out, are wonderful cameras.

I don't regret my 1Dx for a second and don't believe the 1Dx II will be any different. The only thing I hate about it is waiting for it. :D

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17894797 (external link)
It would seem that tolerances of others needs are diminishing in this thread.

Please remember that what may work for you is not always going to agree with what works for someone else. We are all different and have different preferences. Fighting over something that is 100% a personal preference will gain you nothing.

Exactly. This is the internets though... so we can't really expect much else, right? :rolleyes:

I'm confident that Canon and the hundreds of professionals they've had field testing this new camera are pretty much right on the money with what they can do and what the rest of us in need (or want) of a 1 series body will appreciate.

I'm sure they'll do even better next time... Once my check clears for this one I'll be saving towards the next with that in mind. :-D

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 12, 2016 01:28 |  #434

DJHaze596 wrote in post #17894766 (external link)

there is!

the id bodies are far too big and heavy IMO.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,779 posts
Gallery: 1845 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 12, 2016 01:35 as a reply to  @ post 17891451 |  #435

Another angle on touch screens=touch focus for stills shooting.
Not really applicable to the 1DXii saga but there is a camera that will allow you to keep your eye to the EVF, right hand holding camera of course with right thumb working almost all buttons AND
left thumb tapping the screen to where you want focus. It's the Lumix GX8. You can even tap to focus and release the shutter.
This Lumix has an articulating EVF and can tilt from normal 90 degree use to straight up 0 degree use (you looking straight down). Why important? Because with just a minimal amount of tilt up
it clears an operable space for your left thumb to move about the touch screen freely without your face/cheek getting in the way.
I guess this is most analogous to camera whack-a-mole :) but for focus & recompose it is brilliant only helped by the instantaneous focus of the latest mFT bodies.
When one compares moving dials or even joysticks/toggles to get to a specific focus point with touch focus there is no comparison.
Well anyway just thinking out loud.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

283,153 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.