Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 14 Mar 2015 (Saturday) 11:28
Search threadPrev/next

Is this ethical?

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,184 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

Feb 09, 2016 18:35 |  #31

dkizzle wrote in post #17480674 (external link)
Uhmmmm....its good to be a landscape photographer ;)

I hear ya, I never had a case where I painted a building, took some pictures, only to find out that the building moved to a different part of town for another photographer to take more pictures. :D

I guess I side with many others where this isn't really an ethical issue, as long as a contract wasn't breached. Once the model walks away from the gig, you no longer hold any rights over her or what she has on her, unless you have an agreement. This means she is free to do whatever at that point. It would be different if the other photographer showed up at your studio or shoot location and started to take pictures after the MU was applied.

If you feel you own the makeup job and it was just for the shoot, I agree, it would have been wise to have her wash it off, but that should have been made clear at the beginning.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,605 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Feb 09, 2016 22:25 |  #32

It is very common for props, wardrobe, hair and make-up to be supplied for a shoot. The make up artist's work doesn't belong to the model just because it's one her body any more than the warddrobe does. The make-up artist agreed terms for a (single) TF/paid shoot. If the model wants to do a second shoot then the make-up artist needs to be compensated.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,184 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 5 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 09, 2016 22:45 |  #33

If the agreement was that the shoot was free to the model, and there was no agreement for makeup removal, and the model leaves, there is no further expectation on the model's part. If there was an ethical breach that shows financial loss then you would have grounds for a legal claim. This would not win any compensation.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

fk6065
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 12, 2016 20:17 |  #34

absplastic wrote in post #17883834 (external link)
For you, this is just something to have a laugh about. There are two scenarios where this may be slightly unethical, both of which are only likely to harm the reputation of the other photographer, if anyone. The most interesting point to consider is whether the model made photographer #2 aware that her makeup was done for another photographer's shoot.

If the other photographer knew it was from your test shoot, he should have asked her to remove the makeup for the sake of his own reputation and artistic integrity. I wouldn't shoot a model in second-hand makeup and risk being seen as stealing another creative team's work! If he knew, his choice to shoot her as-is was possibly a bit unethical, but mostly it was just a bad decision.

If the other photographer genuinely thought the model did her own makeup, or had it done for his shoot, and the model did not tell him otherwise, then I would go so far as to say the model did indeed do something unethical; she's put another photographer's professional reputation at risk to get herself a few more portfolio shots. If the makeup job is unique enough that the photographer gets called out on it, he'll likely take the flak for it, not the model. The industry treats models as clueless, sadly, and will expect the photographer to have inquired about the model's makeup, for the purposes of correct attribution.

Do you know for certain which of these situations applies?

I honestly don't, but my gut feeling is he had to know that this wasn't the model doing her own makeup.

fk6065
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by fk6065.

Feb 12, 2016 20:21 as a reply to  @ fk6065's post |  #35

Overall I think she just made a mistake and didn't realize at the time what she was actually doing.

Brad999
426 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 01, 2016 16:37 |  #36

I cannot believe that the only issue here is what is being presented. It seems so trivial to me.

vzuptnguyen
174 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Mar 02, 2016 00:37 |  #37

Its not unethical at all...What she does with the rest of her life outside of your shoot is up to her.

She was just being smart and taking advantage of an opportunity.

If you were starting out and someone let you use a camera at your disclosure for a month...chances are you'd try to book some shoots and make money.

Taking advantage of an opportunity.

When lexus gives you a loaner and says to stay in the state...you take advantage of an opportunity ;p

bemyzeke
88 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 03, 2016 02:33 |  #38

It is unethical in the same way that using office copier is to make copies of your drivers license, or using office computer to answer personal emails.

So she used the makeup, so what? It did not cost you any money. If the makeup was particularly unique and something that identifies your style, then you should get it washed before she left, or at least made it clear to her that it is important that she protect your creative style. Absent these, I would not put too much thought into it.

18,031 views & 11 likes for this thread
Is this ethical?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.