Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 06 Oct 2006 (Friday) 01:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM - The Keg (2)

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,452 posts
Gallery: 600 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 10, 2016 07:03 |  #7666

2slo wrote in post #17892774 (external link)
Thanks Annie. Here's another one, same camera settings, this time taken from vehicle moving at about 50mph. Larger (3500px) versions on my Flickr if you want to see:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/DRft​4n  (external link) 85mm at 50mph (external link) by Mark Corpe (external link), on Flickr

Pin sharp too! This is good news to me.

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by agv8or. (14 edits in all)

Feb 10, 2016 12:58 |  #7667

2slo wrote in post #17892738 (external link)
The 85mm f/1.2L sometimes draws criticism for having an AF which is too slow to deal with moving subjects. I haven't found that but, just as a test, I took the shot below along with several others through the windscreen of a car travelling at about 30mph. This shot is at f/2:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/D33w​Yp  (external link) 85mm at 30mph (external link) by Mark Corpe (external link), on Flickr

AnnieMacD wrote in post #17892740 (external link)
Thanks for that, Mark. I was just pondering recently how fast the focusing needs to be to keep up with an already focused object. This is very helpful. Great image too!

Having had both the Canon 85 f1.8 and 85L II as well as the Sigma 85 f 1.4 at the same time, I was able to do a lot of comparison testing. Both the 85 f1.8 and Sigma focused noticeably faster when focusing from MFD to Infinity, in fact they were both twice as fast when focusing from MFD to Infinity. If that is all someone judges a lens by then the 85L II should never even be a consideration for them. For those who do not fully comprehend the main attributes of the 85L II, I have found it is not worth the waste of breath in trying to convince them otherwise, and that those attributes far out weigh any focus speed issue's, especially when you understand why and when those focus issues exist.

LOOK AT THIS DATA: If you manually focus the 85L II from MFD to Infinity, you will find that focus distance range requires moving the focus ring approximately 270 degrees of rotation. The first 90 degrees is from MFD .95 to 1.3 meters (3.12 to 4.27 feet). The second 90 degrees of rotation is from 1.3 to 2.6 meters (4.27 to 8.53 feet). So, the last 90 degrees of rotation is from 2.6 meters or 8.53 feet to infinity. Lets now break that last 90 degrees of rotation down into 30 degree increments. The first 30 degrees (180-220 degrees) is 2.6 meters to 4.3 meters (8.53 to 14.1 feet) approximately. The second 30 degrees (220-240 degrees) of rotation is from 4.3 to 9 meters (14.1 to 29.5 feet) approximately. So, the last 30 degrees (240-270 degrees) is from 9 meters or 29.5 feet to infinity.

What does this data tells us? The 85L II is a great portrait lens because of the finite adjustment of focus at portrait length distances and it can work equally well as an action lens at moderate to long distances. Wow, this data kind of changes the whole assumption that the 85L II is an overall slow focusing lens. It is only slow to focus from MFD to about 8 or 10 feet, which is by design, because it's main attribute is as an f/1.2 portrait lens after all. From 8 or 10 feet to infinity it is pretty dang fast. When you are using a lens at f1.2, you do not want a lens with fast focus at close distances because the focus accuracy will be diminished. The 85L II has no problem in attaining and tracking focus when used at moderate to long distances. Personally I wished that the 85L II had a focus limit switch to prevent the lens from focusing at a distance less than 6 to 8 feet which would help resolve some of the issues.

Let's face it, the 85L II is probably not going to be a good lens choice for shooting fast moving subjects at distances of 8 to 10 feet or less, nor is it going to be a great choice when you need to quickly change your focus distance from close range to moderate or long ranges (or visa versa) on a regular basis. So, if you're a wedding shooter, an event shooter, a close action sport shooter, or just trying to photograph kids running around, then you may find issue with the focus speed of the 85L II. But, if you understand the main attributes of the 85L II and have the knowledge of why and when these focus issues exist, then you can make intelligent choices of whether to own the lens, and if you own the lens, as to when would be the appropriate situations to use the lens.

Today I only own the 85L II but I realize I may have made a mistake in selling the Canon 85 f1.8 because the one I had was very sharp. I do have both a 24-105L and 70-200L (both f4 and IS) so I am covered for those situations when I know that the 85L II focus speed will be a limiting factor. If I didn't own these lenses then definitely I could see myself owning another 85 f1.8 in addition to the 85L II.

The Sigma 85mm, like the 85 f1.8, focused twice as fast as the 85L II from MFD to infinity but, it lacked accuracy and focus discernment. What do I mean by discernment? It is when your focus switches from close to distant objects (or visa versa) as the focus point gets close to the edge of your subject and any object that is in either the foreground or background. You would think this is an issue only in the focus system of the camera but, in my testing I found that the lens attached had a lot to do with this, and this is one of the major issues I had with the Sigma 85mm (as well as many others). When using the Sigma 85mm I found that the focus would start to hunt as the focus point started getting close to the edge of the subject, where by the Canon lenses would stay locked on and then switch once the focus point had moved off the subject. There was no hunting or "focus racking" with the Canon lenses. I also found that the Sigma 85mm would just not lock focus as fast as or as accurately as the Canon lenses. So the Sigma 85mm may be faster to focus but in a lot of my testing I found that the 85L II beat it to the punch, especially in those situations requiring focus discernment.

Rand

Gear

AnnieMacD
Oops, me again
3,452 posts
Gallery: 600 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Aug 2012

Feb 10, 2016 15:18 |  #7668

agv8or wrote in post #17893281 (external link)
Having had both the Canon 85 f1.8 and 85L II as well as the Sigma 85 f 1.4 at the same time, I was able to do a lot of comparison testing. Both the 85 f1.8 and Sigma focused noticeably faster when focusing from MFD to Infinity, in fact they were both twice as fast when focusing from MFD to Infinity. If that is all someone judges a lens by then the 85L II should never even be a consideration for them. For those who do not fully comprehend the main attributes of the 85L II, I have found it is not worth the waste of breath in trying to convince them otherwise, and that those attributes far out weigh any focus speed issue's, especially when you understand why and when those focus issues exist.

LOOK AT THIS DATA: If you manually focus the 85L II from MFD to Infinity, you will find that focus distance range requires moving the focus ring approximately 270 degrees of rotation. The first 90 degrees is from MFD .95 to 1.3 meters (3.12 to 4.27 feet). The second 90 degrees of rotation is from 1.3 to 2.6 meters (4.27 to 8.53 feet). So, the last 90 degrees of rotation is from 2.6 meters or 8.53 feet to infinity. Lets now break that last 90 degrees of rotation down into 30 degree increments. The first 30 degrees (180-220 degrees) is 2.6 meters to 4.3 meters (8.53 to 14.1 feet) approximately. The second 30 degrees (220-240 degrees) of rotation is from 4.3 to 9 meters (14.1 to 29.5 feet) approximately. So, the last 30 degrees (240-270 degrees) is from 9 meters or 29.5 feet to infinity.

What does this data tells us? The 85L II is a great portrait lens because of the finite adjustment of focus at portrait length distances and it can work equally well as an action lens at moderate to long distances. Wow, this data kind of changes the whole assumption that the 85L II is an overall slow focusing lens. It is only slow to focus from MFD to about 8 or 10 feet, which is by design, because it's main attribute is as an f/1.2 portrait lens after all. From 8 or 10 feet to infinity it is pretty dang fast. When you are using a lens at f1.2, you do not want a lens with fast focus at close distances because the focus accuracy will be diminished. The 85L II has no problem in attaining and tracking focus when used at moderate to long distances. Personally I wished that the 85L II had a focus limit switch to prevent the lens from focusing at a distance less than 6 to 8 feet which would help resolve some of the issues.

Let's face it, the 85L II is probably not going to be a good lens choice for shooting fast moving subjects at distances of 8 to 10 feet or less, nor is it going to be a great choice when you need to quickly change your focus distance from close range to moderate or long ranges (or visa versa) on a regular basis. So, if you're a wedding shooter, an event shooter, a close action sport shooter, or just trying to photograph kids running around, then you may find issue with the focus speed of the 85L II. But, if you understand the main attributes of the 85L II and have the knowledge of why and when these focus issues exist, then you can make intelligent choices of whether to own the lens, and if you own the lens, as to when would be the appropriate situations to use the lens.

Today I only own the 85L II but I realize I may have made a mistake in selling the Canon 85 f1.8 because the one I had was very sharp. I do have both a 24-105L and 70-200L (both f4 and IS) so I am covered for those situations when I know that the 85L II focus speed will be a limiting factor. If I didn't own these lenses then definitely I could see myself owning another 85 f1.8 in addition to the 85L II.

The Sigma 85mm, like the 85 f1.8, focused twice as fast as the 85L II from MFD to infinity but, it lacked accuracy and focus discernment. What do I mean by discernment? It is when your focus switches from close to distant objects (or visa versa) as the focus point gets close to the edge of your subject and any object that is in either the foreground or background. You would think this is an issue only in the focus system of the camera but, in my testing I found that the lens attached had a lot to do with this, and this is one of the major issues I had with the Sigma 85mm (as well as many others). When using the Sigma 85mm I found that the focus would start to hunt as the focus point started getting close to the edge of the subject, where by the Canon lenses would stay locked on and then switch once the focus point had moved off the subject. There was no hunting or "focus racking" with the Canon lenses. I also found that the Sigma 85mm would just not lock focus as fast as or as accurately as the Canon lenses. So the Sigma 85mm may be faster to focus but in a lot of my testing I found that the 85L II beat it to the punch, especially in those situations requiring focus discernment.

Thanks so much for writing this up and sharing your test results. I've only ever used the lens for portraits and I really don't intend to use it for fast moving objects but I was wondering about tracking a subject walking slowly towards the camera. In the light of your results and Mark's photos I don't think this will present any problems. Thanks again.

flickr (external link)

96whiteknight
PERMANENT BAN
2,046 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 10, 2016 16:01 as a reply to  @ AnnieMacD's post |  #7669
bannedPermanent ban

Thanks so much for quoting that entire thing. -?

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8801/17371214806_e3e38d6b62_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/st31​Xy  (external link)
Untitled (external link) by Michael Bartley (external link), on Flickr

Petie53
370 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 10, 2016 19:24 |  #7670

agv8or ---
Your post should be considered for a "sticky"!
Excellent information that explains the 85s operation that even I can understand. ;)
Thank you for that.

Pete
6D, 60D, EOS-M, EOS-M3, 22M, 11-22M, 18-55M, 55-200M, 15L 2.8 fisheye, 10-22 EFS, 35 F/2 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70L 2.8 II, 70-300L, 100-400L II

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 10, 2016 19:45 |  #7671

Petie53 wrote in post #17893699 (external link)
agv8or ---
Your post should be considered for a "sticky"!
Excellent information that explains the 85s operation that even I can understand. ;)
Thank you for that.

It was written by a simple minded person. :-)

Rand

Gear

DanangMonkey
586 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 11, 2016 07:47 |  #7672

2slo wrote in post #17892738 (external link)
The 85mm f/1.2L sometimes draws criticism for having an AF which is too slow to deal with moving subjects. I haven't found that but, just as a test, I took the shot below along with several others through the windscreen of a car travelling at about 30mph. This shot is at f/2:

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/D33w​Yp  (external link) 85mm at 30mph (external link) by Mark Corpe (external link), on Flickr

My AF struggles in low light, even when using a dim modeling light. Its not severe, but does take some patience on occasion.

The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture. - Raymond Chandler

gouf
671 posts
Gallery: 117 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2012

Feb 12, 2016 22:41 |  #7673

6d.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7 II
https://www.facebook.c​om …otography/16508​7536980471 (external link)

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,503 posts
Gallery: 573 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 13, 2016 06:16 as a reply to  @ DanangMonkey's post |  #7674

Yes the AF can struggle a bit in low light, especially when using servo. I'll put up with that though for the results the lens is capable of giving. It renders subjects and BGs beautifully, for my money the equal of anything I've seen from other manufacturers 85s.

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,503 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by 2slo.

Feb 13, 2016 13:26 |  #7675

Sorry, no pics of pretty ladies from me today :-):

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1706/24377240533_09e7b9b20a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/D98J​jz  (external link) The Heortnesse (external link) by Mark Corpe (external link), on Flickr

DanangMonkey
586 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 13, 2016 14:12 |  #7676

2slo wrote in post #17896890 (external link)
Sorry, no pics of pretty ladies from me today :-):

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/D98J​jz  (external link) The Heortnesse (external link) by Mark Corpe (external link), on Flickr

Ships are always pretty ladies to their crew

The creative artist seems to be almost the only kind of man that you could never meet on neutral ground. He sees nothing objectively because his own ego is always in the foreground of every picture. - Raymond Chandler

fotoi
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 883 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 14, 2016 15:37 |  #7677

Old Town Albuquerque

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from fotoi's gallery.

Brylek
375 posts
Gallery: 221 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 14, 2016 18:37 |  #7678

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1672/25032445975_d89428ee27_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/E92Q​58  (external link) Emilia (external link) by Brylek (external link), on Flickr

Canon 5D MkII - 11-24mm F4L / 24-70mm F2.8L II / 85mm F1.2L II / 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS / 500mm F4L IS
flickr (external link)
Instagram: @starman864

149 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 14, 2016 19:54 |  #7679

Amazing shots guys!

I just did the unthinkable and ordered one of these bad boys. My birthday just passed and this was my present. I have dreaming of this lens for a few years now. Enjoyed the hell out of my samyang 85 1.4 on a crop sensor. I have a felling ill be in heaven with this one on my ff 6d. It will only be used for personal work, hobby, girlfriend shots etc so this was a huge investment for me, around 1200 pounds. I hope i get my money back in amazing shots. Thats all i want. :) It was a tie between this one and canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, but after I tried it on my camera I was left a little underwhelmed. Dissapointed that the tamron equivalent was sharper and had more constrast. Plus the size, the weight... the 85 came on top, if that makes any sense.

Hope I visit the thread soon with some shots. Im still in awe at what some of the guys post here!

My 500px (external link), My Flickr (external link), My Blog (external link), My Fb page (external link), My Deviant (external link), My Tumblr (external link)
|6D|85mm 1.2 II L|Samyang 14mm 2.8|50mm 1.8|

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,503 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 16, 2016 06:12 |  #7680

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1561/24971487791_22c48ebaff_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/E3Dp​jX  (external link) Enigmatic smile (external link) by Mark Corpe (external link), on Flickr

sponsored links

3,555,732 views & 4,067 likes for this thread
Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L USM - The Keg (2)
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.