Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Feb 2016 (Sunday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Making the most out of a Canon Rebel Xti

CMR
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 14, 2016 21:43 |  #1

Hey Everyone!
I recently purchased a Canon Rebel Xti with a 75- 300mm lens. I learned to shoot on a Canon 50D and a Rebel T3. I really liked them but I am unsure of what lenses were on the cameras. I am not a huge fan of the 75-300mm and am looking for a good all-around type lens for my Xti. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
RodS57
915 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Feb 14, 2016 21:53 |  #2

CMR wrote in post #17898591 (external link)
Hey Everyone!
I recently purchased a Canon Rebel Xti with a 75- 300mm lens. I learned to shoot on a Canon 50D and a Rebel T3. I really liked them but I am unsure of what lenses were on the cameras. I am not a huge fan of the 75-300mm and am looking for a good all-around type lens for my Xti. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

I hate to say it but it depends on what you want to shoot. I have the 75-300 and it is a functional lens. If you want a good walk around lens then the 15-85 is a good choice. You can probably get a used one for a good price.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 14, 2016 21:55 as a reply to  @ RodS57's post |  #3

Are all Canon lenses compatible?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,100 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Feb 14, 2016 22:08 |  #4

Yes, all EF or EF-S lenses are compatible. Much older "FD" manual focus lenses that you may run across on ebay, Craigs list, or in junk shops are the only Canon lenses that will not fit/work.

Look into the 18-135mm STM (used) for a great all round lens.
The 10-18mm STM for ultra wide angle.

Added to your existing 75-300mm, you'd have everything covered in a small affordable kit.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 14, 2016 22:11 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #5

Sweet! Thanks for the advice!

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,405 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 14, 2016 22:11 |  #6

CMR wrote in post #17898591 (external link)
Hey Everyone!

Heya,

What do you shoot?
What kind of look do you want?
Do you think you need a zoom or a prime?
Budget?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 14, 2016 22:20 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #7

I am looking to do some portraits and maybe some action shots. I am a huge fan of street photography and would like to explore that avenue. My previous experience has been primarily with zoom but I have used a fixed telefoto lens. I enjoy both. My current camera is a Canon Rebel Xti. I'm honestly not sure if I like it or not.. the F-stop only goes to 4.0 and... maybe my problem is primarily the current lens. Anyway, I'd rather not spend more on a lens than I did on the body: Is that a reasonable thing or should I expect to spend more on the lenses? Also, should I consider getting a different body or is the Xti a decent model?

Thanks!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,100 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 14, 2016 22:41 |  #8

CMR wrote in post #17898637 (external link)
I am looking to do some portraits and maybe some action shots. I am a huge fan of street photography and would like to explore that avenue. My previous experience has been primarily with zoom but I have used a fixed telefoto lens. I enjoy both. My current camera is a Canon Rebel Xti. I'm honestly not sure if I like it or not.. the F-stop only goes to 4.0 and... maybe my problem is primarily the current lens. Anyway, I'd rather not spend more on a lens than I did on the body: Is that a reasonable thing or should I expect to spend more on the lenses? Also, should I consider getting a different body or is the Xti a decent model?

Thanks!

I'd get glass first. Xti is old and low MP, but perfectly capable of producing good images.

For a high quality low cost prime for low light and narrow depth of field, great for portraits on the Xti, get the new 50mm f/1.8 STM. Do not get a used old version, it must be the "STM". It's only about $100.00 new :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,405 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 14, 2016 22:43 |  #9

CMR wrote in post #17898637 (external link)

Thanks!

Heya,

Well, first, I would say don't buy anything just yet. You need to do some research first. You just said you're not sure if you like the XTi because it only goes to F4. But, that's not how it works. Maybe that was a mistake. But if it wasn't, I would say this is where you put on the brakes and make sure you are intimate with the concept of what does what in terms of the camera body and the lens and how they interact and the exposure triangle. Lenses are why you shoot a SLR. Why else would one get an interchangeable lens system? Lenses are more important in your situation, as you have a functioning camera, and to change what and how you do photography, that portion will be the lenses you're using and how you use them.

A single good lens would do you well.

Or two good lenses.

Example, a 17-50 F2.8 IS would be an excellent lens for what you're doing, portrait, street, action, etc, it's a fast mid range zoom that is stabilized. You can get third party (Tamron, Sigma) or Canon, and they will do the job for you. Good range from wide to telephoto on your XTi via that lens, and fast.

Example, or you could do two fast primes, such as a 24 F2.8 STM & 50 F1.8 STM, giving you normal and telephoto fields of view, fast aperture, small and light, sharp and inexpensive.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 14, 2016 22:47 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #10

Thank you very much for you help!

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 14, 2016 22:50 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #11

Thank you very much for your help!

greenjeans
Goldmember
2,195 posts
Gallery: 269 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 15, 2016 07:51 |  #12

The 18-55 STM is also a good lens, albeit slow. I have seen them for less than $100. on the For Sale forum here. Also consider the 18-135 STM. That one may be over your budget if you don't want to spend more than you did for the camera.

Gripped 6D, gripped 6D2, gripped 70D, 80D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8 STM, 55-250mm, 18-135mm, 60mm EF-S macro, 70-200 F4L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 18-55mm IS STM, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 150-600mm C., Sigma 100-400mm C, Canon 70-300 IS USM, Samyang 8mm 3.5 fisheye, Sunpak DF3600U Flash (2)

CMR
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 15, 2016 10:33 as a reply to  @ greenjeans's post |  #13

Thanks for your help!

paddler4
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 15, 2016 10:37 |  #14

the F-stop only goes to 4.0

That's the lens, not the body.

I had an XTi once. Takes fine images, despite the lack of bells and whistles. The main functional difference between that and the 50D you learned on (I had one of those too) is not the extra MP, but rather the difference in ergonomics and controls. Very different on the Rebels (any of them) and the XXD cameras.

One lens that might be worth your consideration is the older (non-vibration-control) Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. The AF isn't the fastest in the world, and it lacks vibration control, of course, but it is a very sharp lens for the price and faster than the kit lens.

Check out my photos at http://dkoretz.smugmug​.com (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,229 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Chet.

Feb 15, 2016 10:40 |  #15

The xti is a great portrait camera, get a decent lens and it can still make magic. I've printed at 20" x 30" with great results. Now for action the xti struggles as the af isn't very fast, it won't give you great results but you can get some decent shots. That lens is useless. I purchased it many moons ago thinking it was a great purchase, but alas it's not. I think the best shots I got from it were static on a tripod, one of the moon during an eclipse, and the other of a soccer player not moving.

If you can save up for a decent lens go for it. I used the 28-135 on the xti for a long time and it usually got the job done. It's not a great lens, but it's versatile.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

6,931 views & 12 likes for this thread
Making the most out of a Canon Rebel Xti
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.