Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
Thread started 14 Feb 2016 (Sunday) 20:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Visiting Norway

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,614 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 14, 2016 20:38 |  #1

I think Norway simply has to be next on my list of places to visit. Figuring our Summer vs Winter will be hard enough, but even before that... how long do most people tend to go for, in terms of a photographer's vacation?

It seems there are SO MANY spectacular places to visit, but many of those places also seem pretty far apart (Lofoten is a ~20hr drive from Oslo)

Any advice on the best time of year to go?

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
aojorda
37 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 14, 2016 23:16 |  #2

My wife and I went in August a few years ago and it was amazing! Every hike or drive was breathtaking. We went for 2 weeks and felt we got a good experience but we were stretching vacation and budget. We spent most of our time on the west side which is where the fjords and mountains are. I'd pick one side and stay there or get a cheap quick flight to the other side. Although driving there is no issue for visitors.

Just a heads up also; Norway is probably the most expensive place to vacation (or it's up there!) Expect $200 for an average room per night and $15 for a beer...But it's so worth it!

aojorda
37 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 14, 2016 23:22 |  #3

And bring a rain jacket!

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,614 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Feb 15, 2016 09:52 |  #4

aojorda wrote in post #17898688 (external link)
My wife and I went in August a few years ago and it was amazing! Every hike or drive was breathtaking. We went for 2 weeks and felt we got a good experience but we were stretching vacation and budget. We spent most of our time on the west side which is where the fjords and mountains are. I'd pick one side and stay there or get a cheap quick flight to the other side. Although driving there is no issue for visitors.

Just a heads up also; Norway is probably the most expensive place to vacation (or it's up there!) Expect $200 for an average room per night and $15 for a beer...But it's so worth it!

Oh wow... that's a little unexpected! Very good to know, thanks.

Did you guys have an itinerary or anything that you could share? I did a roadtrip in the Southwest USA, and saw so many absolutely amazing sights but strictly within the realm of photography, it was definitely stretched. Between wanting to get to the right place for the right light, it was hard. There was basically no margin for error/weather.

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

aojorda
37 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 16, 2016 00:39 as a reply to  @ kaitlyn2004's post |  #5

We flew into Stavanger and out of Bergen. We did the famous (and must do!) hikes such as; Preikestolen, Troll Tunga, and kjeragbolten! They are pretty strenuous but worth it. We also visited Flam and Voss. Flam was amazing in so many ways its hard to describe. Take the Flamsbana to the top of the mountain and hike down. It makes for an easier day and you get to experience it all. And find a Glacier hike to do!

As for the photography, if you wait all day you could get an amazing shot at least once when the sun comes out. However, some things are better enjoyed in the moment rather than scrambling to get the perfect shot. Norway is kinda of like shooting fish in a barrel though...it's all amazing.

I wasn't big into photography when we went but here are a few shots from our adventures. Let me know if the link doesn't work. Also let me know if I can help with any other details!

https://drive.google.c​om …92UeFQmLxgbm1GS​TExR1VTYXM (external link)

Snootch
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 16, 2016 08:29 |  #6

My girlfriend and I were fortunate enough to be able to visit Norway in November 2013, and we both loved every minute of our time there. We had talked about doing a land-based trip but, in the end, we went with the Norwegian ferry company, Hurtigruten, as they had some very special prices on their 12-day round trip from Bergen to Kirkenes and back, as 2013 was the company's 125th Anniversary.

Describing Hurtigruten as just a ferry service, however is really underselling it, as the service we experienced would put some established cruise lines to shame. Hurtigruten operate 11 ships up and down the Norwegian coastline carrying passengers, mail and other cargo. Our 12-day trip stopped at 34 ports along the way - some of these stops were for as little as 15 minutes, though we were able to disembark in some of the larger towns and cities along the route, including Alesund, Trondheim, Bodo, Tromso, Hammerfest and Kirkenes.

Hurtigruten have a number of organised excursions in many of the ports that they visit including a trip to the North Cape and, our favourite, the husky sledding trip in Tromso. Also, as we were inside the Arctic Circle in November, we were lucky enough to see the Northern Lights three times during the trip - although it is quite difficult to take decent photos of the lights from a moving ship :-)

We did find Norway to be an expensive country, however as the cost of accommodation and meals was included in the ferry fare, we only needed to worry about incidental expenses and souvenirs. If the cost and itinerary work out for you, I would recommend Hurtigruten as a way of seeing Norway, as the coastal voyage is truly breathtaking.

You'll find some photos from our trip up on Flickr here:

https://www.flickr.com …/albums/7215764​8916259416 (external link)

I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip whether you go in summer or winter.

nordlysBW
349 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by nordlysBW. (2 edits in all)

Feb 21, 2016 11:23 |  #7

If you have less than two weeks to spend there, Hurtigruten is a good way to go. I would start from Bergen in that case and move up north.

If you prefer to drive, bear in mind that roads have improved considerably in Norway with the oil boom. But speed limits being what they are and with many winding roads hugging the fjord contours, it will take time to get from A to B almost wherever you drive in Norway. Yet, the E6 highway that builds a sort of backbone to the Norwegian road infrastructure allows you to reach remote places much faster than forty years ago. Many tunnels and bridges have also replaced the old ferries which had their charm but slowed you down enormously in many areas.

The idea is probably to be selective. You cannot see Norway in only a couple of weeks. You might want to start off in Oslo as you may well land there, head for the Hardangervidda, later aim for Bergen and/or take your pick of some spectacular fjords(s) such as the Geiranger fjord while moving up north. On you way to that one, Jotunheimen National Park is worth at least driving through if not hiking on some of its best trails. If after that you wish to travel even further up north, things are stretching a long, long way. Great landscapes for sure, but that entails a lot of driving. If you intend to make it to the Lofoten Islands you will have to just pass many places by without stopping for any length of time. North of Mo-i-Rana you could give a thought to visiting the Svartisen Glacier (receding as most others, but fairly easy to reach). From then on the country gets pretty narrow and you can take your pick of large mountain areas in the east and the rough coastline in the west. Unless you have plenty more time on your hands I guess it's hardly worth trying to go further north than the Lofotens. There is so much to do and see further up north that you will only feel frustrated if you spend your time driving. and don't forget, that you'll have to drive all the way back unless you fly back south to Oslo.

As to the weather, be aware that in the Summer the upper half of Norway has been enjoying very sunny weeks and high temperatures year after year. And yet, good rain gear is a must. When it gets wet and stormy you sometimes wish you had chosen another destination!

Sailor ­ Larry
192 posts
Gallery: 59 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 15, 2016 02:15 |  #8

You also get 7-8 hours of "golden hour" if you're there at the right time of year. :-)

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,081 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 10, 2016 12:36 |  #9

aojorda wrote in post #17898688 (external link)

YIKES!! Off to China or India then for me.

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

3Honu
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by 3Honu.

Feb 11, 2017 23:28 |  #10

My wife and daughter are going this summer. It is my daughter's trip. She told me what sights she wanted to see and I planned it. I have planned a 10 day trip around the western area. Some fjords and hikes and the like. I booked all the hotels and planned the route. If you have any questions send me a PM.

.....and I just realized this post is a year old. Sorry about that. I would like to hear what you did, if anything though.

"The greatest reward you can have as a leader is the look of respect. The key to a successful combat leader is to earn respect not because of rank, but because you are a man." - Major Dick Winters

sponsored links

5,375 views & 1 like for this thread
Visiting Norway
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.