Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 16 Mar 2015 (Monday) 09:30
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "If you have owned a BlackRapid strap, please choose below and report on what has been your experience?"
RS-4 Classic
15%
RSS-Sport Extreme
11.9%
RSS-L Sport Extreme (for left-handed shooters)
1.3%
RSS-2 Sport 2 (slim)
4.4%
RSS-2 L Sport 2 (slim, for left handed shooters)
0%
RS-5 Cargo Ballistic
6.3%
RS-7 Curve
31.9%
RS-W1 Elle for women
1.3%
RS-2SW Kick Sling (for women)
0%
DR-2 Double Strap
14.4%
DR-2 Slim Double Strap
1.3%
Metro Sling
3.8%
Yeti Dual Harness (convertible to single sling)
1.9%
Yeti Slim Dual Harness (convertible to single sling)
1.3%
35-inch Shot
0%
63-inch Cross Shot
1.3%
Wrist Strap
3.1%
Binoc Strap
0%
Backpack Strap
0.6%
Tether Strap or Kit
0.6%

127 voters, 160 votes given (10 choices choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

BlackRapid poll and feedback

ZchDnn
684 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Feb 15, 2016 11:49 |  #46

Thread revival!

I've been rocking the Black Rapid RS-4 for the past couple of years; never has let me down, never created any doubts plus it was always funny to swing my 5D around (with lens) to scare everyone... Yup, that's my party trick... Lol

The practicality is amazing if you're not carrying much - A trip to Thailand for some street photography, allowed the camera to be discreetly at my side. As well on jobs, events have been a breeze and since picking up a second body, I have also purchased the RS-DS2. Feels beautiful as a harness, plenty of accessibility, not too much 'swing'. I love the additional stopping clips to create boundaries - this, I have set up so I can literally drop the camera, as well as bringing the camera to my face, it's limited and feels great!

I was tempted to opt for a cheaper dual strap (a tenth of the BR price) but with the reliability that I'm used to, plus the extended 5 year warranty, it had me sold! The RS-DS2 will be getting used a lot this year!

Work: CXSTLEdotcom (external link)
Twitter: Twitter (external link)
Facebook: CXSTLE (external link)
Canon 1D Mark III / Canon 5D Mark II / Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS / Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II / Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM / Yongnuo YN685 x4 / Yongnuo YN-622C-TX / Yongnuo YN-622C x2

sponsored links
kiapolo
868 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 17, 2016 04:45 |  #47

I have an old CarrySpeed CS1 Mark II (external link) that is main sling strap. I purchased a BR Backpack (external link) Strap (external link) to use on a four day camping/hiking trip to Haleakala, Maui, last year (external link). I thought it'd be perfect for backpacking. I tried it for a couple day prepping for the hike and returned the strap.

Things I did not like about the BR Backpack strap:

1. The strap is awkward to attach and remove, especially while hiking. You have to take your camera off the strap and secure your camera before you can remove the strap. Removing the strap from my backpack was awkward. You have to remove the strap every time you take off your backpack, which is annoying. Having to remove and secure (put away/put down) your camera every time you want to take off your backpack is a pain and defeated the purpose of having the strap. With my CarrySpeed sling strap, I could keep my camera connected to the strap when I needed to remove my backpack. A regular sling strap safely secures the camera to your body while removing and putting on your backpack.

2. No real weight savings by using this strap compared to my a regular sling strap. Both my old carryspeed and the BR backpack strap are about 6 oz.

3. Did not trust the connection hooks on both ends of the strap. Plastic hooks. Not confident building.

| kiapolo.com (external link) (blog) | Gear List | Flickr (external link) | YouTube (external link) | 2012 Project 366 (external link) |

vapore0n
200 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Jun 10, 2018 08:34 |  #48

I have the Rapid Sport 2 (slim)
I like that it removes all weight from my neck, and is really great for carrying heavy combos (70D+70-200F2.8+flash). The materials are really strong and durable. This includes the single plastic clip on the back that holds the strap, that I found out its a 3 way clip. You have to press 3 places for it to come off.

What I didn't like was that the shoulder part kept sliding off my shoulder. If I bent down, the whole thing would slide off and put my camera in danger.
This weekend I decided to add a cross body strap. Got some nylon strap + clips, etc, and added an adjustable strap that would go across my body under my opposite arm.
Everything is so tight now I can move around, bend, jump, move the camera up to my chest and hook it there, anything, and the Rapid Sport wont come off.
I should have done that years ago.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 10, 2018 13:16 |  #49

I've been using BR Curve Breathe for some time now, but recently I made some modifications to suit my need better. When I went ProMediaGear (PMG) system (L-Bracket and plates with Quick Connect Plug Holes), I didn't want to purchase a PMG strap with Quick Connect when I already have a BR Curve Breathe. Besides, I really like BR's latest CR-3 ConnectR Locking Carabiner, so I thought why not combined the best of both?

What you're seeing in the photos below is the CR-3 ConnectR Locking Carabiner being connected to PMG's Quick Release Plug Adapter with a set of OP/TECH Utility Loop Connector that was lying around from my previous strap. I LOVE this modded set up. When I need to use the L-Bracket for tripod use, a simple press of button on top of Quick Release Plug Adapter and my camera is free to be mounted on my tripod. Or, if I don't feel like taking the strap off from the camera, I just leave the whole thing and simply mount the camera with the strap on onto the tripod. Because PMG is a modular system, it offers an adapter to go with the L-Bracket that'd allow the off-center connection so that the Plug Adapter doesn't interfere with the tripod mounting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

cigargreg
262 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 11, 2018 08:44 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #50

Will this work with RRS's quick release? It looks smaller but could just be the perspective.

flickr (external link)
instagram (external link)
smugmug (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 11, 2018 10:37 |  #51

cigargreg wrote in post #18643123 (external link)
Will this work with RRS's quick release? It looks smaller but could just be the perspective.

As far as I know, the Plug Adapter is PMG proprietary and only works with certain PMG plates that have the Plug hole specifically designed to connect to the adapter. The PMG L-Bracket for my 5DIII, for example, comes with that hole. I also have an 8" PMG long plate for my Sigma 150-600C lens foot and 4" PMG plate for my Canon 70-200L, both with the holes, so I can go from one lens to another or to my L-bracket instantaneously.

http://www.promediagea​r.com …ctor-for-strap_p_307.html (external link)

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

cigargreg
262 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 11, 2018 13:33 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #52

Yes RRS has the same set up I just didn't know if the hole was the same size.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 11, 2018 14:16 |  #53

cigargreg wrote in post #18643319 (external link)
Yes RRS has the same set up I just didn't know if the hole was the same size.

Interesting. First time seeing the RRS's version of the same concept. I'm actually quite surprised that there hasn't been any lawsuits since either RRS or RMG has copied the other's idea.

On the surface of it, it looks like the RMG's version is beefier, and I think the 3x the cost probably reflect that. I have NO IDEA whether the receptive hole is the same dimension. The question I have for you is why not just use the RRS's version if you already have the RRS plates with the receptive hole? Why RMG's?

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jun 11, 2018 14:38 |  #54

Really liked my BlackRapid for several years, but now switched to Peak Design. Very well designed and much easier as it provides more versatility (e.g. it can be taken off within a second and put back on).

Donate if you love POTN

cigargreg
262 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jun 11, 2018 16:45 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #55

They are just using an existing design, military firearms use this qd on the rails and stock so they just adapted it on other application's. The RSS is actually a rifle sling made by Magpul. You said it RMGs looks beefier is the only reason. Thanks.

flickr (external link)
smugmug (external link)

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 11, 2018 17:43 |  #56

cigargreg wrote in post #18643444 (external link)
They are just using an existing design, military firearms use this qd on the rails and stock so they just adapted it on other application's. The RSS is actually a rifle sling made by Magpul. You said it RMGs looks beefier is the only reason. Thanks.

Yes, I looked up the RSS version on YouTube after my last post, and that's when I learned that the QD has been used in the military. While the hole looks about the same in diameter, I feel like the RSS's version was made more for light weight gear. The RMG version seems definitely beefier and designed to go with just about any weight. My heaviest set up is 5DIII with L-Bracket and Sigma 150-600C and of course the RMG Plug Adapter easily handles that. Here's a video demo of what it can handle:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=yjqPQxhGanI (external link)

Watch the whole thing but 1:40 into it is where it demos what kind of load it can handle. These guys aren't exactly slim and light!

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,724 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 14, 2018 13:41 |  #57

Hey guys... thanks for keeping this thread alive. Maybe I should look to update the poll with new products.

Sys... who is that doing a flying sidekick?

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 14, 2018 13:46 |  #58

Nathan wrote in post #18645298 (external link)
Hey guys... thanks for keeping this thread alive. Maybe I should look to update the poll with new products.

Sys... who is that doing a flying sidekick?

Me, when I was a Bruce Lee wannabe in high school a few decades ago.... :lol:

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

Nathan
THREAD ­ STARTER
So boring
7,724 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 14, 2018 15:45 as a reply to  @ SYS's post |  #59

That's an impressive kick. I'm still a wannabe decades later, but I can't fly like that.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,050 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Jun 14, 2018 15:52 |  #60

If I try to do anything remotely resembling that today..... :-P

-Goethe
My Gear & DIYs

sponsored links

13,541 views & 5 likes for this thread
BlackRapid poll and feedback
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.