Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 31 Dec 2015 (Thursday) 11:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why don't you use Photoshop

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2016 08:05 |  #151

agedbriar wrote in post #17901708 (external link)
Are there many besides the daily updating antivirus group?

There is this little company in Washington state called Microsoft that has a little suite of programs called Office 365 that is on a subscription. ;-)a

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

sponsored links
chauncey
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 17, 2016 09:29 |  #152

Like most of us herein, I would be embarrassed to quantify the amount of money, in total, that I've got rapped
up in this ludicrous hobby of photography. Carping about $10/mo and/or tax write offs just seems beyond my comprehension.

I'm 72 y/o with 6 adopted teenagers living on SS and a small pension...PS, as a toy, helps me maintain my sanity.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,490 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Feb 17, 2016 10:15 |  #153

pknight wrote in post #17901738 (external link)
There is this little company in Washington state called Microsoft that has a little suite of programs called Office 365 that is on a subscription. ;-)a

Microsoft still lets you choose between a subscription version of Office and a perpetual license. Most people I deal with are better off buying Home and Student for $150 and using it for 6 years than than paying $100/yr for Office 365.

Adobe does not allow users this choice among the professional products with the exception of LightRoom.

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2016 11:10 |  #154

mike_d wrote in post #17901885 (external link)
Microsoft still lets you choose between a subscription version of Office and a perpetual license. Most people I deal with are better off buying Home and Student for $150 and using it for 6 years than than paying $100/yr for Office 365.

Adobe does not allow users this choice among the professional products with the exception of LightRoom.

OK. But the question was does anyone do this other than antivirus vendors. Office 365 is not the only example.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 17, 2016 12:51 |  #155
bannedPermanent ban

A number of companies are doing this. I know PhaseOne has been offering C1P by susbcription since version 8, but they still give you the choice to 'own' (as in giving you a perpetual licence) the sofware. Others are moving into the vaporous cloud as well: I recently got an E-mail from BlinkBid about their new version and it's completely cloud based and subscription only: http://blinkbid.com/pr​icing/ (external link) . Sure, you can still use the old stand-alone version, but it will no longer be updated or developed. Needless to say, that's the end of my relationship with BlinkBid; I'll continue to use version 7 till it runs out of gas and then look for a different solution that doesn't turn my computer into a dumb terminal nor syphons vast amounts of cash from my meagre bank account.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 17, 2016 14:13 |  #156

pknight wrote in post #17901942 (external link)
OK. But the question was does anyone do this other than antivirus vendors.

No, the question was substantially different.

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2016 14:30 |  #157

agedbriar wrote in post #17901708 (external link)
Are there many besides the daily updating antivirus group?

pknight wrote in post #17901942 (external link)
OK. But the question was does anyone do this other than antivirus vendors. Office 365 is not the only example.

agedbriar wrote in post #17902175 (external link)
No, the question was substantially different.

It was your question, so I believe you. There must be something between the lines. My apology.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by agedbriar.

Feb 17, 2016 14:49 |  #158

Please, don't get me wrong, guys.

I wasn't being provocative. I merely wanted to know if it really was time to do some preventive shopping, upgrading, whatever, as TeamSpeed spoke of countless others adopting this model.

(Let anyone decide for themselves if countless, many and anyone really aren't that different terms at all.)

EDIT: I'm putting the last sentence above into brackets, as it was mainly addressed to a Tom Reichner's post, which has since been deleted.

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,888 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 18, 2016 08:53 as a reply to  @ post 17900680 |  #159

Really glad to see Tom now considering to use Photoshop now. Hope his obtaining of the software works. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind purchasing it for him.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,876 posts
Gallery: 176 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring
Post edited over 5 years ago by Tom Reichner. (6 edits in all)

Mar 28, 2016 16:04 |  #160

Nathan wrote in post #17903143 (external link)
Really glad to see Tom now considering to use Photoshop now. Hope his obtaining of the software works. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind purchasing it for him.

Well, I finally "took the plunge", so to speak.

I got an email last night - it was from B&H, with their "Deal of the Day". I get these emails daily, and usually it's for something useless.
But today's deal is for Photoshop Elements 14, for $44. Seemed like a pretty good price, so I went ahead and ordered the download version, which is supposed to be emailed to me within 12 hours.

So, pretty soon I should have the program, and hopefully it only takes me a couple months to figure out how to do something with it.

If I spend 5 or 10 minutes a day for two months trying to learn it, and I still can't use it effectively, then I'll probably give up on it and it will have been a waste of 44 of my precious dollars. Unfortunately, that is what happened with both Aperture and LightRoom. I paid for them and then they ended up being a waste because I could not learn them sufficiently within a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of mental effort.

Conversely, if I am able to figure out Photoshop Elements without too much thinking, and it is capable of doing the editing that I want to do, it could pay for itself in just a few months, via increased stock photo sales. That is what I am hoping for.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,171 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2016 16:29 |  #161

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17952202 (external link)

I got an email last night - it was from B&H, with their "Deal of the Day". I get these emails daily, and usually it's for something useless.
But today's deal is for Photoshop Elements 14, for $44. Seemed like a pretty good price, so I went ahead and ordered the download version, which is supposed to be emailed to me within 12 hours.

So, pretty soon I should have the program, and hopefully it only takes me a couple months to figure out how to do something with it.

If I spend 5 or 10 minutes a day for two months trying to learn it, and I still can't use it effectively, then I'll probably give up on it and it will have been a waste of 44 of my precious dollars. Unfortunately, that is what happened with both Aperture and LightRoom. I paid for them and then they ended up being a waste because I could not learn them sufficiently within a reasonable amount of time and with a reasonable amount of mental effort.

Conversely, if I am able to figure out Photoshop Elements without too much thinking, and it is capable of doing the editing that I want to do, it could pay for itself in just a few months, via increased stock photo sales. That is what I am hoping for.

I'm pleased that you are trying it. But i sense you are creating an artificial barier with the time limit. Essentially you have just created an excuse for you to quit, and that doesn't seem like you.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,692 posts
Gallery: 537 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 28, 2016 17:27 |  #162

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17952202 (external link)

What do you use to process photos now?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,876 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Mar 28, 2016 18:11 |  #163

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17952321 (external link)
What do you use to process photos now?

Apple's "Photos". I like it almost as much as I liked iPhoto, which was by far the best photo editing program I ever used (according to my own personal experiences).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,876 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 5 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Mar 28, 2016 18:17 |  #164

gonzogolf wrote in post #17952243 (external link)
I'm pleased that you are trying it. But i sense you are creating an artificial barier with the time limit. Essentially you have just created an excuse for you to quit, and that doesn't seem like you.

It is not an artificial barrier. It is a very real barrier. I can get my brain to concentrate hard on something for about 5 to 10 minutes, then it tires and its ability to maintain that apex level of concentration is diminished. It would be foolish for me to try to learn something difficult when my brain's ability to concentrate is at anything less than 100%. To do so would be inefficient.

If I apply myself to learning Photoshop Elements for 7 minutes a day, for two months, then I will have spent a total of 7 hours trying to learn Photoshop. If, after 7 full hours of apex-level applied thinking, I cannot perform basic editing functions such as cropping, resizing, archiving, and adjusting exposure, then surely the program is not for me. I learned how to do all of these basic in "Photos" in about 10 seconds (quite literally). If the same things cannot be done, even after 7 hours of hard concentration, then I would not be quitting, I would simply be realizing that if a program makes even the most basic editing commands so difficult to learn, then that program is not for me.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,927 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Mar 28, 2016 18:57 |  #165

Part of the difficulty behind an innocuous question like posed in OP, is "just what do you mean when you say 'Photoshop'?! The problem is that Adobe keeps 'repackaging' and renaming, and playing games with licensing concepts mixed into the naming confusion. This drawing:

IMAGE: http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/wiltonw/photoshop_zpsczzgm5sz.jpg

1. In the beginning was the bottom line, the pixel editor / graphic arts tool.
  2. Then Adobe purchased what was to become Lightroom, and about the same time release additional modules to provide rudimentary data management and RAW conversion to the pixel editor.
  3. Then Adobe 'bundled' it all under the 'Photoshop CSn' naming, but it was still the same concept as the multimodule Photoshpp that was launched in parallel to Lightroom.
  4. Then Adopbe decided to change to the subscription model, and renamed it 'Photoshop CC', while later adding extra cost software apps, collectively under the same name, at $20/mo subscription for the base collection. They further 'hide' the existence of separate modules for data management and for RAW conversion.
  5. Then Adobe decided to repackage a version 'for the photographer' (pink box) and subscribe it for $10/mo subscription

So then along comes the OP question, and you have to ask, "Which of the 5 models are your referring to, when using the 'Photoshop' moniker?"

And if you think about it, model #4 is the same 'Photoshop' capability as the 'photographer bundle' yet discounted by $10, in spite of adding Lightroom to the bundle, because of the lack of appeal in the marketplace of the Photoshop CC...it was a licensing disappointment.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

40,242 views & 100 likes for this thread
Why don't you use Photoshop
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.