Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 18 Feb 2016 (Thursday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CPL Filter at Night to prevent reflections and refraction?

Xerxes
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Xerxes.

Feb 18, 2016 17:55 |  #1

Haven't tried this yet, but a few photographs lately have been ruined by strong reflections and refraction. I'm thinking about using a polarizing filter, but how much of an effect will this have, and is it compatible with night time panoramas? Obviously you cannot use a polarizer during the the day for panoramas, but what about at night?
Example below of what I am trying to avoid, this is not self promotion! LOL

Light reflections on the water, and refraction/glare from the three panels atop the tiered building. I took this as a 25 shot pano with a 50mm pancolar at f5.6. Would a polarizer have prevented this?

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1694/24977175762_3030f8812a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/E49y​aq  (external link) Calgary Skyline from Center Street Bridge (external link) by Aaron (external link), on Flickr

mike_311
Checking squirrels nuts
3,761 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by mike_311. (3 edits in all)

Feb 18, 2016 18:46 |  #2

Ive never done it, but im sure a CPL will cut some of the light bouncing of the water, how much i can't say. the glare now, looks like lens flare, try a lens hood.

it also looks like a cloud.

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 17-40/4L | Tamron 24-70/2.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135/2L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.com (external link)
Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | About me

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

750 views & 1 like for this thread
CPL Filter at Night to prevent reflections and refraction?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.