Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 02 Apr 2015 (Thursday) 03:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding 24mm which lens??

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Nov 19, 2015 20:56 |  #31

I'm still tossing up between the 16-35mm f4 and the Tokina 16-28mm. My hesitation is mainly around NOT using a Canon L series lens but the reviews on Photozone concluded:

"Technically the Tokina is superior to the current Canon EF zoom lenses in basically all the analysed image aspects!"

These guys rate the Canon f4 over the 2.8, and only are unsure if the Tokina is much better because of quality control.

Anyone have real life experience with the Tokina?

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links
LarryPlane
49 posts
Joined Feb 2015

Dec 24, 2015 03:28 as a reply to  @ post 17508622 |  #32

Honestly I think exactly the same thing when people wax lyrical about the beauty of using a prime instead of a fast zoom.

I use a 24-70 2.8 for the ceremony, a second camera is fitted with a 70-200 2.8 unless I'm in somewhere VERY tight, on which case its the 16-35.

A single shooter, covering the ceremony with a prime, is probably going to be doing a lot of cropping in post. Or they are the flash.

Live, nonrepetable events demand a zoom. In my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

BradWedgewoodPhotography
29 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 10, 2016 16:29 |  #33

Weddings can happen really fast...almost too fast for a lens change at times.... I think it's best to have something like a 24 - 70 along with a 80 - 200 or 70 - 200 so you can cover a huge zoom range with less lens changes.

http://www.bradwedgewo​odphotography.com (external link)
http://www.facebook.co​m/bradwedgewoodphotogr​aphy (external link)
http://www.twitter/bra​dwedgewood (external link)
http://www.pinterest.c​om/bradwedgewoodph/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​bradwedgewoodphotograp​hy (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Feb 17, 2016 09:13 |  #34

The 24-70mm is my bread and butter for weddings. If I was in the market for 24mm, I'd get that first.

Now I also use the Canon 24mm prime, but I consider it a luxury, not a necessity like my zoom. I use this during prep or reception sometimes when shooting without flash to be unobtrusive.

So I guess my answer would be... get both!

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Feb 17, 2016 17:43 as a reply to  @ BradWedgewoodPhotography's post |  #35

Try telling all the prime shooters out there that weddings are so fast they need zooms.

Peter

jackinavox
302 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Feb 18, 2016 18:10 as a reply to  @ memoriesoftomorrow's post |  #36

I use mainly primes too except during times when a zoom is more unobtrusive, for example the ceremony and reception speeches where I typically choose a spot and stay there rather than moving around too much.

I haven't tried any of the other 24mm's you've mentioned except the Canon 24L II which I find really good. I also highly rate the 24-70L II

Candy Capco Photography (external link) | Wellington Wedding & Lifestyle Photographer (external link)
Follow us on Facebook! (external link)

MFG
537 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 19, 2016 06:25 |  #37

i have the 24-70L but dont use it for wedding. i have and use the 24LII at reception when light is low

the latest lens i acquired is the 16-35LII (which has the 24mm in it). its super wide with lots of distortion at 16 but gives a different feel to the type of photos from 24-35 focal length.

now, now bridal portrait lenses are usually the 16-35LII and the 70-200LII.

AIPP Accredited (Australia), WPJA
Professional Wedding, Newborn and Family Photographer
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ScottGohPhotography (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/blog (external link)
https://www.scottgohph​otography.com.au/babie​s-and-children/ (external link)

vanmidd
215 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 09, 2016 20:21 |  #38

20mm 1.4 sigma art. I have the 24mm 1.4 canon and it's very average.

Van Middleton Photography - Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 09, 2016 21:16 |  #39

vanmidd wrote in post #17929877 (external link)
20mm 1.4 sigma art. I have the 24mm 1.4 canon and it's very average.

I wouldn't call it average. It's one of my most used primes at weddings. What do you not like about it?

vanmidd
215 posts
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by vanmidd.

Mar 09, 2016 21:31 as a reply to  @ frugivore's post |  #40

I wouldn't call it average. It's one of my most used primes at weddings. What do you not like about it?

It's soft wide-open and the vignetting wide-open is also severe. I like to shoot wide open alot, so I'm often comparing my sigma 35mm art with my 24mm canon and it's night and day, the sigma kills it. I've changed my shooting style when I use it, and never shoot wider open than 2.0/2.5 anymore. And when I have to do that I start to dislike the lens.

Which is why I'd suggest anyone considering it buy a sigma 20mm or 24mmm art instead.

Van Middleton Photography - Byron Bay Wedding Photographer (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 09, 2016 22:07 |  #41

Have to agree with Vanmidd about the Canon 24mm. Average lens imho never really an L for me. I do prefer the 24 focal length though.

Peter

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 10, 2016 06:05 |  #42

vanmidd wrote in post #17929952 (external link)
It's soft wide-open and the vignetting wide-open is also severe. I like to shoot wide open alot, so I'm often comparing my sigma 35mm art with my 24mm canon and it's night and day, the sigma kills it. I've changed my shooting style when I use it, and never shoot wider open than 2.0/2.5 anymore. And when I have to do that I start to dislike the lens.

Which is why I'd suggest anyone considering it buy a sigma 20mm or 24mmm art instead.

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17929985 (external link)
Have to agree with Vanmidd about the Canon 24mm. Average lens imho never really an L for me. I do prefer the 24 focal length though.

Are you talking about the Canon 24L II? Most reviews of the Sigma that I've read conclude that optical performance is slightly better than the Canon. Yes, the Canon has more vignetting, but that doesn't bother me much.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 10, 2016 06:57 as a reply to  @ frugivore's post |  #43

Yes I'm talking about the Canon MKII. Very soft wide open.

Peter

sourcehill
481 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by sourcehill.

Mar 10, 2016 07:52 |  #44

yeah, you guys must have bad copies because my 24L II is blazing sharp wide open with -3 MA. Have you tried to see if that was the issue? Easily my most used prime at weddings. Maybe I just have a REALLY good copy.

But I'm rarely at f1.4 since I'm making a bunch of my own light. 1.4 is super sharp when I do use it. f2 all day with that lens. It's perfect IMO.

Also, the Canon focuses MUCH more consistently in low light. While I loved my Sigma Art lenses, there's no comparison in low-light focusing. Lets remember that Canon doesn't give Sigma their special sauce when it comes to the focusing algorithm. Sigma reverse engineers it and I've never had an Art lens focus consistently when the dancing starts.

I like gear and I have too much.
Check out my current work on Instagram @immichaelcarmen
redwoodandrye.com

BlakeC
"Dad was a meat cutter"
2,673 posts
Gallery: 372 photos
Joined Jul 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by BlakeC.

Mar 10, 2016 08:33 |  #45

Canon 24mm 2.8 STM... super cheap and super sharp. It's an amazing lens.

I never use mine at weddings though. I shoot 90% of everything with my Sigma 18-35 1.8

Blake C
BlakeC-Photography.com (external link)
Follow Me on Facebook (external link) , Instagram (external link), or Google+ (external link)
80D |70D | SL1 - Σ 18-35 1.8 ART, Σ 50-100 1.8 ART, Σ 17-50 2.8, Canon 24 2.8 Pancake, Canon 50 1.8 STM, Canon 10-18 STM, Canon 18-135 STM

sponsored links

18,079 views & 7 likes for this thread
Wedding 24mm which lens??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.