Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Feb 2016 (Friday) 07:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Using Gimp to finish logo

Silver-Halide
809 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 19, 2016 07:18 |  #1

I don't have Photoshop and I don't really feel like learning it. I have downloaded Gimp and played around with it, and its still way far over my head. Just not what I want to invest a lot of time learning. I made a logo in MS Word using the font and color I like. It has a couple different lines so i figured it would be easier to print screen and bring it into Gimp/PS and finalize it there. All I need to do is make the background transparent. Ie I don't want the white 'paper' around the letters so it can be used as a watermark. So I need to use some sort of lasso tool and paste it onto a transparent layer. From there, save it, and it can be used as a watermark as needed. Any suggestions/help? Thanks!

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 19, 2016 07:37 |  #2

There's a couple of ways to do this depending on what your logo looks like, and most importantly if you want any white in the final logo. The easiest way is to go to Color>Color To Alpha, choose white and you are done:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

All white will be converted to transparent.

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by travisvwright.

Feb 19, 2016 07:39 |  #3

Or if you have white contained that you want to keep, you can select with Fuzzy Select and choose Edit>Clear:

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 19, 2016 12:58 |  #4

Once you remove the background you must save it as .png.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,913 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Feb 19, 2016 15:15 |  #5

BUT - always the best way is to make logos in vector format, thus you never lose quality and are more versatile.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 19, 2016 15:24 |  #6

TRAVIS!!!! :-P

Thanks a ton.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 19, 2016 15:24 |  #7

kjonnnn wrote in post #17904692 (external link)
Once you remove the background you must save it as .png.

Why do you say this?
Thanks.

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 19, 2016 15:25 |  #8

osh_sekta wrote in post #17904883 (external link)
BUT - always the best way is to make logos in vector format, thus you never lose quality and are more versatile.

What is vector format?
Man, I'm parading my ignorance today :oops:

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,913 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by olafs osh.

Feb 19, 2016 15:33 as a reply to  @ Silver-Halide's post |  #9

No worries :] For example - Adobe Illustrator works with vectors.

Photoshop images consist of pixels - little squares of colors. Illustrator images are made from paths from one point to another, thus you can enlarge image as big as you want, changing color and other edits are way more easier. So it's really easy to convert vector image into pixel-image [raster image] of your desired size. Also, if it happens to work with publishers - always send them vector image, thus they don't make your karma as black as something black indeed.

Raster: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Raster_graphic​s (external link)

Vector: https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Vector_graphic​s (external link)

As for your question about .PNG format - this format understands and saves transparency, so you won't have a white block around your logo [as it would happen with JPG format]

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
809 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Feb 19, 2016 15:43 |  #10

Outstanding Olafs. thanks again. :twisted:

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 19, 2016 17:14 as a reply to  @ Silver-Halide's post |  #11

Because jpg wont save the background as transparent. It will make it white.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 19, 2016 17:16 as a reply to  @ olafs osh's post |  #12

If doesnt want to learn photoshop, or gimp for that matter, he certainly wont be learning illustrator

sponsored links

1,815 views & 4 likes for this thread
Using Gimp to finish logo
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.