Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 20:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of simplifying my camera gear

Ryan0751
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 06, 2016 20:24 |  #1

I've currently got 3 different camera bodies. A Canon 5D III, a 7D II and also a Fuji X100T.

Recently I picked up a pancake lens for my 7D II, and it got me thinking... Should I sell the Fuji?

I do love the Fuji's image quality, but I have sometimes left my Canon's at home because I grabbed the Fuji to head out with. Now I'm thinking that with the pancake lens, my 7D II isn't a burden at all to carry (it's the EF-S pancake). I'm wondering if things would just be simpler if I stuck to just the two Canon bodies.

Should I do it? Or will I regret losing the mirror less?

Canon 5D III, Fuji X100s, Sigma 15mm (Fisheye), 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 100 2.8 Macro L, 1.4X TC, 3 x 600 EX-RT, ST-E3, Nodal Ninja Ultimate M2 with EZ Leveler
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ryanruel (external link)

sponsored links
jay125
back in 7th grade
10,596 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 06, 2016 20:37 |  #2

Don't rush off and sell anything. Carry the 7DII with you for awhile to make sure it's a kit you will be comfortable with. If it is, then look at letting the Fuji go. If you sell too quickly, you will have that question in your mind. Make sure you have exactly what will work for you, then work with it. Regret can be expensive :-)

feedback

gear list

Ryan0751
THREAD ­ STARTER
212 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 07, 2016 05:50 |  #3

That is good advice! I will do that for a bit.

Canon 5D III, Fuji X100s, Sigma 15mm (Fisheye), 16-35 F2.8 L II, 24-70 F2.8 L II, 70-200 F2.8 IS II L, 100 2.8 Macro L, 1.4X TC, 3 x 600 EX-RT, ST-E3, Nodal Ninja Ultimate M2 with EZ Leveler
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ryanruel (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,335 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 08, 2016 21:07 |  #4

After purchasing same pancake for my 500D, I didn't purchased any Fuji. No needs for it. But 7D might be still too big.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 14, 2016 18:19 |  #5

It's a personal decision, IMO. About 6 years ago I completely divested myself of all my film gear, medium format and all. There are times I miss it, but in the long run I still feel it was the right decision. I felt "freer" to just go shoot, again.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,909 posts
Gallery: 1326 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 14, 2016 18:34 |  #6

Heya,

I keep my mirrorless because sometimes you just want it small, fast and simple. Also, easy for someone else to use. This is why I keep and use my EOS-M + 22f2 pancake. Not only can I use it and enjoy it and it's pocketable for me, I can hand it to someone and they can use it without having to go through a workshop on how to do it, they can literally just hold it up and touch the LCD like a phone. Literally anyone can use it. So I like it for going out, parties, family stuff, travel, etc. I have a smaller APS-C dSLR (well, like 4 or 5 of them) with pancake lenses, and size wise, they just don't compare. When size is important to you, mirrorless options are just the way to go (for now) it seems.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,235 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 14, 2016 21:42 |  #7

...I have not used any of my canon bodies for the last 1.5 years since I purchased my rangefinder. for the type of photos is I take, I do not miss the canon bodies and lenses at all.

especially when traveling, my rangefinder body and two lenses is still much smaller and lighter(combined)than a 70-200 2.8 is lens

seres
580 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Feb 14, 2016 22:30 |  #8

MalVeauX wrote in post #17898440 (external link)
Heya,

I keep my mirrorless because sometimes you just want it small, fast and simple....

That sums it up for me, too. I have Full Frame and APS DSLR cameras, and the little X100. All have their place, but there are time ONLY the X100 is small enough, and easy enough to use, to take on certain trips. Keep the X100!

—Eric

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 19, 2016 14:49 |  #9

I have a 5d MkII and 5d MkIII that stay in a large camera bag with the rest of my good gear. When I travel, unless it is specifically for photography, the bag stays home and I carry a Canon G1X MkII and 270EX II flash. I can't see getting rid of anything and right now, I don't believe I need to improve on anything.
Looks to me like you are set up. Why get rid of something you might need next week.

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

sponsored links

1,806 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thinking of simplifying my camera gear
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.