Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Feb 2016 (Friday) 15:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help. Photographer is talent or training

phucmaplun
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2016

Feb 19, 2016 15:57 |  #1

Dear friends,

I love freedom i do not want to have a boss. Could you share how to make money with photos. My family told me that i am not creative guy and they give me advice to do another jobs.

Can i have question? Photographer is just for artist or anyone can become the best photographer by practicing more

Please give me some advises

Best

iTunes Gift Card Instant Delivery (external link)

sponsored links
ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,280 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 19, 2016 16:12 |  #2

...you are in luck, i have a great uncle of a cousin's friend who just inherited a fortune. He is willing to provide training, but you must provide your address, and check donation to my bank account in nigeria!

PhotosGuy
75,775 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 19, 2016 16:25 |  #3

There's no easy answer. Talent, reading, & practice all help.
See if the links in this help: General Info

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Feb 19, 2016 17:27 |  #4

Take some photos of potatoes, they sell very well.

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,106 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 19, 2016 17:31 |  #5

If you want to make money in photography, buy cameras cheap and sell them for more than you paid. Its hard to take your request seriously as you post no photos and dont describe any background in photography. As absurd as it might sound people dont pay you until you can actually demonstrate repeatable skills.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 19, 2016 17:33 |  #6

How old are you? You'll always have a boss, either directly or passively. You may not have someone telling you to be at work on time or to do this or do that, but they'll always be an outside source nudging you if you plan to be succesful. In your case, are you good enough, are you artistic enough, is the thing you say you want to do what people are willing to pay you enough to live off of?

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,090 posts
Gallery: 1548 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 20, 2016 11:26 |  #7

phucmaplun wrote in post #17904930 (external link)
Dear friends,

I love freedom i do not want to have a boss. Could you share how to make money with photos. My family told me that i am not creative guy and they give me advice to do another jobs.

Can i have question? Photographer is just for artist or anyone can become the best photographer by practicing more

Please give me some advises

Best

Well, you're family just "bossed" you. If you're serious, then do what you want.

How did you even come to photography as a living as an option?
What drew you to it?
Do you have the capital to start a business?
What is your location and market that you're wanting to get into?
What kind of photography are you wanting to get into that earns a living where you're located?
Have you ever run a business?

Skill & talent and artistic sense as well as technical sense are all part of photography. That's not what's important.

What's important is you're trying to make it a business, to make money. And that takes business sense, marketing, marketing, marketing, and money handling. You can be the most talented, skilled photographer and never make money for it, if you try to run a business and you're clueless with how to run a business. If that's the case, you hire a manager for yourself.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (2 edits in all)

Feb 20, 2016 12:45 |  #8

'Photography' is actually a highly varied discipline, whose requirements (of the the photography) are also highly varied!

The practice of these areas of photography, for example, are all quite different from each other in the skills and types of talent needed...

• photojournalism
  • medical photography
  • family portraiture
  • glamour & boudoir photography
  • weddings/event photography
  • sports photography
  • theater/stage photography
  • industrial photography
  • product photography

There are skills and knowledge, there is artistry, and there is aptitude, all coming into play in different mixes.

Some are totally technical in content, with little 'creative' or 'artistic' (industrial, medical, newpaper photojounalism)
Some lighting skills are very different, depending upon subject matter (family portraiture vs glamor/boudoir vs. product photography vs. lighting automobiles)
Some require the ability to rapidly solve photographic problems 'on your feet' vs. less time demanding requirements (weddings vs. studio product photography)
etc. etc.
Some call into play different aptitudes in the photographer

If I asked you to describe a 'successful business person', you would similarly describe a lot of different kinds of knowledge and skills and aptitudes, and occasionally artistry comes into play... a Wall Street tycoon is very different from a Silicon Valley genius or a Broadway stage producer.

you need to examine yourself and assess the breadth of your knowledge and skills, how artistic/creative you are (or not), and what your aptitudes are which can contribute to your greater success within ONE narrower field within the broad realm of 'photography'. And then fill in your identified personal gaps as necessary.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,411 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Feb 22, 2016 12:04 |  #9

No amount of training can make up for natural talent. On the flip side of that comment, very few have the natural talent to never require training past the basics. The business end of any commercial enterprise almost always requires training.

further, no one sane person that has ever worked for themselves would say they have no boss. Well at least in photography or some other creative endeavor where paying customers are needed. Often you have many bosses. When the bills are coming due and a customer says he wants you to come do some work at 5 AM sunday morning, you know where you'll be? You'll wherever he has asked you to be at 4:50 am wondering where that so called freedom went.

sure you have the ability to tell him to get lost, but there will be another right behind him asking something else of you.

best of luck.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 22, 2016 13:14 |  #10

If you're satisfied with mediocre income...go for it... http://work.chron.com …ry-photographer-7219.html (external link)

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,050 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2016 15:55 |  #11

chauncey wrote in post #17908444 (external link)
If you're satisfied with mediocre income...go for it... http://work.chron.com …ry-photographer-7219.html (external link)

I would love for my income to get all the way up to "mediocre" someday. That is what I aspire to!
Ahhh....the realities of being a wildlife photographer shooting "on spec".

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

NYS ­ Photo
117 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 25, 2016 05:47 |  #12

chauncey wrote in post #17908444 (external link)

After reading that link I'm not sure how any of you pro photographers weigh over a hundred pounds and have anything more than a tarp over your heads at night.
Good god 51k in NYC just isn't going to get it done, it's really got to be a love for photography to go down that road I geuss.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,050 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 25, 2016 09:46 |  #13

NYS Photo wrote in post #17912177 (external link)
After reading that link I'm not sure how any of you pro photographers weigh over a hundred pounds and have anything more than a tarp over your heads at night.
Good god 51k in NYC just isn't going to get it done, it's really got to be a love for photography to go down that road I geuss.

One half of that will easily "get it done" in many parts of the U.S.
And it is quite nice to be "free" and not have to show up at a job each day.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by TooManyShots.

Feb 25, 2016 10:50 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

Keep your day job...hehehehe...

Those made it (managed to make a living from it) wasn't easy and a lot to do with luck and maybe even education. For most of us, we are lucky if someone is willing to pay for our photos. Most of the time, you just do it because you love photography.

You should be shooting for several years first in variety of subjects and situations before even thinking about trying to make money from your photography. You have to know your gear. You have to develop your style. You have to understand the entire workflow in order to produce consistent results from one photo to another. You must know how. Just because you have a handful of keepers out of hundreds of shots and you have no ideas how they got there.....you are going to fail.....:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 25, 2016 12:26 |  #15

It was fifty years ago when I was trying to get my $hit together that I said,
"I want a family and, enough income to support to support them"...education was needed and, career selection.
That decision process has not changed and will not will involve photography as a mainstay.
Photography is a great hobby...not a wise career choice.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links

4,800 views & 7 likes for this thread
Need help. Photographer is talent or training
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.