Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
Thread started 13 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Seeking Feedback

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2016 16:28 as a reply to  @ post 17903660 |  #31

How do you know where he is on his learning curve? If the pictures suck, he tosses them out, and he studies more, and they wrack em up, and give it another go. No harm no foul.

She obviously feels from his previous work, that he can take photos that are acceptable to her. She also feels comfortable with him shooting boudoir of her. You want awkward. Maybe this is the only person she wants to do the photos with.

Nobody is going to get hurt by taking a few photos, as a beginner on a black diamond trail.

Bad analogy IMO

sponsored links
DThriller
Goldmember
1,981 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 18, 2016 16:45 |  #32

For weddings its more about being able to photograph in any location and making the best of any lighting situation then one particular shot. For boudoir its that x10 plus very specific posing to flatter body types. I cant say I have done it but I respect the challenge it is to pull off.

I feel like we have gotten a little heated Brad. I like a good discussion I hope you arnt actually getting fired up. We can hug it out if you need to. Im aware Im not a professional and most people on the forum will agree with you I'm sure. Im in the process of working towrds the dream. I have shot a fair amount of wedding tho and I feel I can make people aware of the challenge it can be. Is OP's situation special? (IE 4th wedding so who cares) Yeah I guess but taking it a bit serious might be appreciated by the couple

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

RLP2016
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 20, 2016 00:41 |  #33

Wow. LOL Okay, a little more info; we are close enough that her kids practically live at my house on weekends, as her kids are best friends with mine. I quoted her a price and she agreed and I offered an engagement session since that's included in some wedding packages. She said she wasn't really interested and asked if I'd be willing to do a boudoir instead. This was after I already expressed to people that I was wanting to do a boudoir shoot for someone for me to get the experience, so what's the problem if she is volunteering to be that model for me and wants that instead of engagement photos? Again, fourth wedding. She is by no means trying to take advantage of me. I am not the person who is going to be taken advantage of, trust me. Not if I can help it. I don't play that. I asked her several times (is anyone reading anything that I am saying here? LOL) if she was sure she wanted to do it and she said yes. How does one get better and improve by turning opportunities down? She is fully aware of my experience, my learning curve and my portfolio. I didn't just start trying to take pictures yesterday. I never asked whether or not anyone thought I should do this. I am not looking for approval or permission, I was looking for help, because this arrangement has already been made. I am sorry if anyone disagrees with what I am doing, but I've been shooting and giving away tons of digital files over the past year trying to start from the bottom, build my portfolio and network and I'm tired of working for nothing. I'm good enough to deserve being paid for my time, at the very least.

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 20, 2016 05:57 |  #34

Ok, OP, it has been one month since you have made your first post and have been practicing these indoor low light shots we assume. Let's see an example. Also a shot with flash. The experts can help you along, so by June, you will hit a homerun.

RLP2016
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Feb 20, 2016 21:47 as a reply to  @ Brad999's post |  #35

I don't have anything taken this week, but real quickly, I have these from Christmas. First, a low light photo that I took for a Christmas card (I added a Merry Christmas overlay) and one that I shot w/speedlite at an outdoor Christmas tree lighting event. Does this help prove my images aren't completely horrible? LOL

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

dosha
112 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 28, 2016 10:57 as a reply to  @ RLP2016's post |  #36

Use your nifty 50, I shot my first wedding over 10 years ago and used only that lens on a Rebel :) Have fun and take a lot of images, you will do great :) Oh, and make sure you have some sort of contract in place in case the day does not go as planned (like the family not being cooperative, running late, etc.) so she cannot hold those uncontrollables against you...you'd be surprised how friends can turn against you lol. If you need one, let me know and I'd be happy to email you mine.

RLP2016
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 04, 2016 16:32 |  #37

Change of plans for wedding location. It has been moved to the beach. Any advice? I am super interested in OCF, so I am thinking of getting a softbox for my speedlite and practicing outside until then.

DThriller
Goldmember
1,981 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 04, 2016 17:32 |  #38

Schedule the boudoir asap. Its no big deal just get it over with. Then post your results here and we'll help you from there.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

RLP2016
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jul 11, 2016 12:46 |  #39

I rented a 70-200mm for the wedding and used my 50 1.8. Bride loves her images and she received wonderful feedback about them.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

RLP2016
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jul 11, 2016 12:53 |  #40

The space that I had to shoot was extremely small and full of people. There were two power lines behind them that I had to remove from every picture. They weren't interested in formal shots, just told me to "get what you can get". I had people shoulder to shoulder around me and couldn't back up any further.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

8,785 views & 20 likes for this thread
Seeking Feedback
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Kids & Family 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.