Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Feb 2016 (Monday) 21:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Godox TT600 and TT685 2.4G Wireless "cheaper alternative" Speedlites

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by agv8or. (6 edits in all)

Feb 08, 2016 21:51 |  #1

If you're looking for a "cheaper" shoe flash alternative then take a look at these two flashes from Godox. They not only fill the immediate needs for someone looking for a quality built, reasonably priced shoe flash, with many desirable features for both "On Camera" and "Off Camera" use but, they also offer great flexibility for future expansion options because they are wirelessly compatible with most of the Godox flash products using the Godox 433MHz or 2.4G wireless systems. http://www.godox.com/E​N/Products.html (external link)

The TT600, priced at $75, is a Manual only flash while the TT685, priced at $120, is a TTL flash in both Nikon and Canon versions. Edit: You'll from time to time see cheaper prices than I mentioned here. Since I posted this thread, Godox has introduced their V860II lithium powered TTL Speedlites and Adorama has introduced their Flashpoint line of rebranded Godox products which includes the fore-mentioned Speedlites, some of which have been on sale for some very cheap prices.

These two shoe flash alternatives have the new Godox 2.4G proprietary Wireless radio system transceivers built in. That's right, both flashes have the ability to act as either Master or Slave flashes in the Godox 2.4G Wireless system. That means that both flashes, when used as Masters, can change wireless modes, flash power settings and trigger, respective of their specific flash features, any of the Godox 2.4G Wireless flashes with Slave capability: TT600, TT685, AD360II and AD600. They also have the ability to control flash power settings in the Manual only Godox strobes through the 2.4G XTR-16 receivers. The X1 2.4G transmitter can control both the TT600 and TT685 when they are set to Wireless Slaves. (see Flash Havoc write ups below).

The TT600 has the ability to control 5 Groups of Slaves (A,B,C,D,E) as well as it's own flash power separately (Group M) when used as a Master "On Camera" or "Off Camera" flash. You can choose between Manual and Multi modes. When in Multi Master mode the number of flashes and their frequency is set in the M Group for all Groups. An individual Group can also be turned "OFF". When used as a Slave flash it can be set to one of 5 Slave Groups (A,B,C,D,E).

The TT600 as a Master also works with the X1 receivers when a compatible TTL flash is used. Now when I say compatible, I do not just mean whether the flash is Canon or Nikon TTL compatible. I tested a Canon 600EX-RT, Phottix Mitros+ and Yongnuo YN600EX-RT, all Canon TTL compatible. The Canon and Phottix flashes worked just fine but the 3 Yongnuo flashes I tested would not fire. The TT600 could set a manual flash power but, the flash would not fire either when the shutter button was pressed nor when the test fire button was pressed on the TT600. This is not the first time that I have had issues with communication between Yongnuo and Godox flash products.

The TT685 does not have 5 Group capability yet (hopefully a firmware update will address this soon). The TTL TT685 flash has the ability to act as either Wireless Master or Slave flashes via the Godox 2.4G Wireless system, or via their respective Canon or Nikon Wireless Optical systems.

Both flashes use AA batteries and they have Optical S1 and S2 slave capability.

Flash Havoc write ups

TT600 http://flashhavoc.com …tt600-speedlite-released/ (external link)

TT685 Canon http://flashhavoc.com …adio-speedlite-announced/ (external link)
Nikon http://flashhavoc.com …-ttl-speedlight-released/ (external link)

AD360II http://flashhavoc.com …ii-c-ttl-flash-announced/ (external link)

AD600 http://flashhavoc.com …tro-ttl-strobe-announced/ (external link)

X1 http://flashhavoc.com …gers-for-canon-announced/ (external link)

XTR-16 receivers http://flashhavoc.com …itter-receivers-released/ (external link)

When you look at the broad range of Godox products currently being offered, and when you stop and consider that they are all wirelessly compatible with each other, you have to be impressed. Their line of products are diverse yet it is easy to understand their individual mission roles and they are easy to use. Having such a diverse and fully integrated line of products to choose from, allows Godox users more creative options as well as the peace of mind to know, that as they expand their lighting system, that any new Godox flashes purchased will integrate right in with the Godox system they are already using.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,338 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 19, 2016 11:14 |  #2

Are the TT685s available in the USA yet?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 19, 2016 14:32 |  #3

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17904587 (external link)
Are the TT685s available in the USA yet?

Both Canon and Nikon versions of the TT685 as well as the TT600 are available on Amazon.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 20, 2016 13:48 |  #4

Rand,
Does the TT685 act as a master with the remotes controlled via TTL and the radio trigger?
Does the hot shoe on the top of the X-1 pass through to a TT685 on top with it as the master or does it treat the flash on top as a slave in group A similar to the way the YN 622 works?

Thanks.

Trying to anticipate how things may work with the Sony version.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 20, 2016 17:33 |  #5

dmward wrote in post #17905846 (external link)
Rand,
Does the TT685 act as a master with the remotes controlled via TTL and the radio trigger?
Does the hot shoe on the top of the X-1 pass through to a TT685 on top with it as the master or does it treat the flash on top as a slave in group A similar to the way the YN 622 works?

Thanks.

Trying to anticipate how things may work with the Sony version.

David I am not sure I understand what you are asking in the question I underlined.

The hot shoe on the X1 is not "TTL Pass-Through" to where the device in the hot shoe can communicate directly with the camera (the Phottix Strato II is what I consider a transmitter with a "TTL Pass-Through" hot shoe). The hot shoe is only for the X1 communicating with the device. Turn OFF the X1 and the hot shoe goes dead. Try to do any type of TTL with the device in the hot shoe and it will not work. A non TTL flash , such as the TT600, can work in the hot shoe independently of the X1 as either a flash or as a Master as long as the channel is different from the X1 (as a Master there is HSS restrictions). The X1 treats a TTL flash in the hot shoe as a Slave in Group A, when the flash is set to Non-Wireless configuration.

My conclusion about the X1 hot shoe is to never use it with a flash. I do not think that the foot of the X1 is strong enough. Now the X1 hot shoe does work very good with dumb transmitters, even in HSS but, any Canon TTL compatible device will have issues with the X1 unless it is set to Non-Wireless configuration. The X1 system takes over a TTL flash like no other system I have ever seen, whether the flash is in the hot shoe of the X1 transmitter or in the hot shoe of an X1 receiver, it is submissive to the X1. I am just giving fair warning to anyone thinking about using a flash in the X1 hot shoe; it is an accident looking for a place to happen and what you have done with other systems, using a flash in a transmitter hot shoe, you may not be able to do with the X1.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 20, 2016 23:27 |  #6

agv8or wrote in post #17906061 (external link)
David I am not sure I understand what you are asking in the question I underlined.

The hot shoe on the X1 is not "TTL Pass-Through" to where the device in the hot shoe can communicate directly with the camera (the Phottix Strato II is what I consider a transmitter with a "TTL Pass-Through" hot shoe). The hot shoe is only for the X1 communicating with the device. Turn OFF the X1 and the hot shoe goes dead. Try to do any type of TTL with the device in the hot shoe and it will not work. A non TTL flash , such as the TT600, can work in the hot shoe independently of the X1 as either a flash or as a Master as long as the channel is different from the X1 (as a Master there is HSS restrictions). The X1 treats a TTL flash in the hot shoe as a Slave in Group A, when the flash is set to Non-Wireless configuration.

My conclusion about the X1 hot shoe is to never use it with a flash. I do not think that the foot of the X1 is strong enough. Now the X1 hot shoe does work very good with dumb transmitters, even in HSS but, any Canon TTL compatible device will have issues with the X1 unless it is set to Non-Wireless configuration. The X1 system takes over a TTL flash like no other system I have ever seen, whether the flash is in the hot shoe of the X1 transmitter or in the hot shoe of an X1 receiver, it is submissive to the X1. I am just giving fair warning to anyone thinking about using a flash in the X1 hot shoe; it is an accident looking for a place to happen and what you have done with other systems, using a flash in a transmitter hot shoe, you may not be able to do with the X1.

Thanks Rand.
The behavior of a speedlite in the X-1 hotshoe sounds about like the way the PW Control TL worked.

For my purposes its alright if its considered a Gr A slave. That's the way I set up the 600EX-RTs. Using that approach I'd have the on camera (via trigger hotshoe) as Gr A, then have another speedlite in Gr B and a third in Gr C. That way I could set Gr B to 0 FEC, Gr C to -2/3 FEC, and Gr A to -1 FEC.

The result was a lighting scheme for events with a kicker, a main and a fill. If necessary I could swap the power setting for B and C. It was quick and easy.

Generally, I would have the Gr B and C lights on stands aimed at the main action and Gr A was either bounced over my shoulder into the wall/ceiling or with a diffuser like an Fstoppers disk.

Worked like a charm.

Just about every picture in this group was shot using this basic setup: http://weddings.dmwfot​os.com …llery/galleries​/reception (external link)

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 20, 2016 23:54 |  #7

dmward wrote in post #17906368 (external link)
Thanks Rand.
The behavior of a speedlite in the X-1 hotshoe sounds about like the way the PW Control TL worked.

For my purposes its alright if its considered a Gr A slave. That's the way I set up the 600EX-RTs. Using that approach I'd have the on camera (via trigger hotshoe) as Gr A, then have another speedlite in Gr B and a third in Gr C. That way I could set Gr B to 0 FEC, Gr C to -2/3 FEC, and Gr A to -1 FEC.

The result was a lighting scheme for events with a kicker, a main and a fill. If necessary I could swap the power setting for B and C. It was quick and easy.

Generally, I would have the Gr B and C lights on stands aimed at the main action and Gr A was either bounced over my shoulder into the wall/ceiling or with a diffuser like an Fstoppers disk.

Worked like a charm.

Just about every picture in this group was shot using this basic setup: http://weddings.dmwfot​os.com …llery/galleries​/reception (external link)

I really hope Godox builds a professional shoe flash or at the least provides a firmware update to give the TT685 better Master features like the X1 before anyone resorts to trying to use a flash in the X1 hot shoe. There is rumors of an updated 860 so maybe Godox will implement X1 features in it but, it will still have a terrible swivel head like all the Godox and other third party flashes I have used. How Godox can build the ultimate swivel head into the AD360II, which I would never use "on camera" and then give us shoe flashes that we would like to use "on camera", like the TT685, which have one of the hardest to turn swivel heads in the industry, is a mystery to me.

Rand

Gear

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,080 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 21, 2016 07:54 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #8

Rand,
One thing I strongly recommended that Edward push with Godox was to have them implement the 600EX-RT feature set in their speedlites. For whatever reason they have implemented the 580EX II ETTL II features.

None of the TTL triggers that mount on the camera with a speedlite on top are very sturdy in my view.

The ControlTL TT1 was the worst. Whenever I wanted to rotate the head I had to make sure I was holding the body of the flash so no strain would be placed on the TT1. It sounds like the X-1 is similar.

It would be nice if they incorporate the X-1 capabilities into a speedlite.

Based on posts elsewhere it sounds like Godox is going to make an ETTL version of the V860, including one for Sony.

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 21, 2016 11:32 |  #9

dmward wrote in post #17906617 (external link)
Rand,
One thing I strongly recommended that Edward push with Godox was to have them implement the 600EX-RT feature set in their speedlites. For whatever reason they have implemented the 580EX II ETTL II features.

None of the TTL triggers that mount on the camera with a speedlite on top are very sturdy in my view.

The ControlTL TT1 was the worst. Whenever I wanted to rotate the head I had to make sure I was holding the body of the flash so no strain would be placed on the TT1. It sounds like the X-1 is similar.

It would be nice if they incorporate the X-1 capabilities into a speedlite.

Based on posts elsewhere it sounds like Godox is going to make an ETTL version of the V860, including one for Sony.

Well I have said it before several times already so I might as well say it one more time to be on record; I do not know why all these third party flash manufacturers want to model their wireless systems after Canons old, antiquated wireless system. Both Yongnuo and Godox are sure good at reinventing the 580EX, even now more than 3 years after Canon discontinued it.

The V860 was already a TTL flash but it never had wireless radio capability, only wireless optical. I am not sure why Godox would upgrade to a V860II other than to add a 2.4G transceiver because you can already use the V860 with the new 2.4G system via the X1 receiver or XTR-16S receiver. The V860 is just a TTL version of the TT850 which is a nice little flash but nothing special, especially when all 4 of your Li-ion batteries go bad and your flashes are rendered inop for months before replacement batteries are available (yeah that happened to me). So if Godox upgrades to a V860II will it be just an Li-ion version of the TT685? I am not holding my breath for any thing too spectacular one way or the other.

Until Godox gets serious about their shoe flashes and builds a professional version that is wx sealed, has a great articulating head like the AD360II, etc... (Godox has my list of recommendations), they will always be second rate in that department behind Canon, Nikon and Yongnuo. They have the whole system, now they just need a Pro Speedlite to anchor it all. I am sorry but a V860II ain't it!

Rand

Gear

Ryan7
48 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2013

Feb 24, 2016 16:07 |  #10

agv8or wrote in post #17906870 (external link)
Until Godox gets serious about their shoe flashes and builds a professional version that is wx sealed, has a great articulating head like the AD360II, etc... (Godox has my list of recommendations)

What is wx sealed?

SamFrench
870 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 24, 2016 16:12 |  #11

weather sealed

Ulysses01
403 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 28, 2016 09:08 |  #12

agv8or wrote in post #17906870 (external link)
Until Godox gets serious about their shoe flashes and builds a professional version that is wx sealed, has a great articulating head like the AD360II, etc... (Godox has my list of recommendations), they will always be second rate in that department behind Canon, Nikon and Yongnuo.

Hmm... YongNuo?? I wouldn't put them even close to the same class as Canon and Nikon level of products. Godox quality — at least in the specific areas you mention — seems to exist somewhere in-between those groups. YongNuo is popular for their price and ubiquity in the industry, but not their manufacturing quality or for their ability to provide a total system.

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 28, 2016 13:21 |  #13

Ulysses01 wrote in post #17916246 (external link)
Hmm... YongNuo?? I wouldn't put them even close to the same class as Canon and Nikon level of products. Godox quality — at least in the specific areas you mention — seems to exist somewhere in-between those groups. YongNuo is popular for their price and ubiquity in the industry, but not their manufacturing quality or for their ability to provide a total system.

Yes Yongnuo are not even close in build quality or reliability of Canon and Nikon flashes. I was not trying to imply this when I listed them but rather that Godox will always play second fiddle to them because of their popularity and cult following that they have. When ever someone is looking for a flash or radio trigger you'll get 10 to 1 recommendations for Yongnuo products to any other products even Canon OEM flashes. Often times my recommendation for a Godox or Canon flash is the lone voice in the wilderness. I know that I am always in the minority in recommending the Godox X1 system over the YN622's. People regurgitate the name Yongnuo as the be all and end all solution to all things flash when there are other alternatives, better alternatives. I guess maybe I should have used the term "second fiddle" rather than "second rate". Godox is definitely of better build quality, functionality, integrability and reliability than Yongnuo flashes. Now they just need to build a professional shoe flash to make me happy. :-)

Rand

Gear

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,338 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 28, 2016 15:58 |  #14

agv8or wrote in post #17916569 (external link)
Yes Yongnuo are not even close in build quality or reliability of Canon and Nikon flashes. I was not trying to imply this when I listed them but rather that Godox will always play second fiddle to them because of their popularity and cult following that they have. When ever someone is looking for a flash or radio trigger you'll get 10 to 1 recommendations for Yongnuo products to any other products even Canon OEM flashes. Often times my recommendation for a Godox or Canon flash is the lone voice in the wilderness. I know that I am always in the minority in recommending the Godox X1 system over the YN622's. People regurgitate the name Yongnuo as the be all and end all solution to all things flash when there are other alternatives, better alternatives. I guess maybe I should have used the term "second fiddle" rather than "second rate". Godox is definitely of better build quality, functionality, integrability and reliability than Yongnuo flashes. Now they just need to build a professional shoe flash to make me happy. :-)

While you're talking with the Godox folks at about your needs for a pro speedlight, why dont you tell their marketing dept to step it up?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by agv8or.

Feb 28, 2016 16:24 |  #15

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17916775 (external link)
While you're talking with the Godox folks at about your needs for a pro speedlight, why dont you tell their marketing dept to step it up?

What do you want them to step up? I am doing the best I can to the point of being annoying. I need more people sending emails to Godox. Just before the Chinese New Year I received an email back telling me as much. But I am not going to stop! :-)

Send emails to godox@godox.com and demand a professional shoe flash that we can use "on camera", that utilizes all the features of the 2.4G wireless system, rather than this mickey mouse, ancient 580EX technology crap they're giving us now with the TT685 and soon to be released v860II. And while their at it they could put a decent swivel head on the thing rather than these gritty friction devices that all the cheap flashes are using now. Make the head to tilt rearward rather than forward so that when you are bouncing flash "on camera" you don't have to swivel the head all the way around forward just to switch from one side to the other. While there at it make it weather sealed and a screen that displays 5 Groups with a dedicated button to select each Group individually.

Rand

Gear

sponsored links

29,624 views & 10 likes for this thread
Godox TT600 and TT685 2.4G Wireless "cheaper alternative" Speedlites
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.