Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What colourspace to save in?

Xerxes
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 20, 2016 21:21 |  #1

Assuming I worked in prophoto from raw. Is it useful to save in adobergb or srgb? Or should I select 'save as ICC prophoto' in photoshop? First for uploading to flickr, but also printing from regular stores IE costco/walmart/london drugs

sponsored links
neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 20, 2016 21:50 |  #2

For London Drugs . . . sRGB. Black's wanted sRGB. I assume it is the same for Walmart and Costco. Even Vistek wanted sRGB the last time I spoke to them about what colour space they wanted (that was in 2013 . . . might be worth discussing with them again). I actually don't know of any printers that specifically want Adobe RGB. The ones I've spoken to either say sRGB or that they don't know (which is kind of scary).

For the web . . . sRGB. Most monitors and devices don't support the entire sRGB colour space, and I think Adobe RGB compliance is a long way off. sRGB is the lowest common denominator at present.

In a few years things might change and the Adobe RGB colour space might be utilized fully by consumer products. You can tweak and re-export anything that you want to print or display as Adobe RGB then.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Feb 20, 2016 23:35 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Technicare wants AdobeRGB. For brochures and that kind of printing, you convert to CMYK.

neacail wrote in post #17906322 (external link)
[..]The ones I've spoken to either say sRGB or that they don't know (which is kind of scary). [..]

Yes, definitely scary: I wouldn't like to deal with them, looks like they have absolutely no clue as to what they're doing.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,984 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 21, 2016 02:08 |  #4

I use a LR->PS->LR->Final output workflow, where the PS stage is 16 bit ProPhotoRGB, but only for about 3% of images. The other 97% stay as LR only. My final output stage is always specific to what the images will be used for. Once the exported file has been used for it's express use it is deleted from my computer.

Everything that will be uploaded to the web will be in sRGB. The same applies for the image files that I supply to the few people that I do product photography for. None of them have very much idea about either photography, or digital imaging, and wouldn't even know that images have a colour space other than maybe RGB/CMYK.

When I print I use a couple of pro labs. I follow their instructions on submission requirements. The lab that I use the most has two main services. One that uses a ROES type system where you can crop for format, adjust contrast/saturation etc, which requires you submit in sRGB, and the pro service, which makes absolutly no changes to the image file. For that service they supply profiles to be used with the uploaded image file, not just for soft proofing. Where a profile is not avilable it's use sRGB time again.

The second lab I only use for monochrome prints on traditional Ilford black and white silverhalide papers. These don't really need a colour profile, so I submit as an 8bit greyscale image with a 2.2 gamma. Again as specified by the lab.

I don't think I would want to use a lab that didn't specify the exact upload requirements for any of their products. I would not expect that everyone who worked there knew this stuff, but they should have tech support who could disscuss it with you.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 21, 2016 02:31 |  #5

Save for what???
I always save ProPhoto on my HD as there is occasion that things may need to be changed, also, I do not flatten my images.
Going into sRGB is reserved when they are to be printed...that shift to sRGB often requires some minor image tweaking.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 21, 2016 07:30 |  #6

Alveric wrote in post #17906370 (external link)
Technicare wants AdobeRGB. For brochures and that kind of printing, you convert to CMYK.

Yes, definitely scary: I wouldn't like to deal with them, looks like they have absolutely no clue as to what they're doing.

What Technicare? I had never heard of them before, but a Google search turned up a "Technicare Imaging" in Calgary.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 21, 2016 07:35 |  #7

chauncey wrote in post #17906440 (external link)
Save for what???
I always save ProPhoto on my HD as there is occasion that things may need to be changed, also, I do not flatten my images.
Going into sRGB is reserved when they are to be printed...that shift to sRGB often requires some minor image tweaking.

The OP stated that his/her query was for web display (Fickr) and budget printing services. It appears the OP is in Western Canada, as "London Drugs" was in the OP's list.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 21, 2016 08:03 |  #8

I merely made the assumption that the OP was a photographer rather than a picture taker.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 21, 2016 08:42 |  #9

chauncey wrote in post #17906624 (external link)
I merely made the assumption that the OP was a photographer rather than a picture taker.

Personally, I'm perfectly happy with quick and cheap 10 cent 4x6s of family camping trips, birthday parties, and other high volume printing for our family photo albums. Sometimes there is such a thing as "good enough."

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

tim
Light Bringer
50,969 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 21, 2016 17:10 |  #10

99% of the time someone says "what color space" the answer is sRgb. The reason is that it's the standard, default color space. No point working in ProPhoto if you're going to deliver in sRgb. The only time I work in anything other than my destination color space is when I have multiple outputs - so I work in Adobe RGB as that's what my wedding album vendor wants, and I convert to sRgb for customer file delivery or web upload.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 22, 2016 00:35 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

neacail wrote in post #17906596 (external link)
What Technicare? I had never heard of them before, but a Google search turned up a "Technicare Imaging" in Calgary.

Yup, they've based out of Edmonton I think, but have at least one branch which seems to be in Calgary. I saw your other thread asking for printing services in Canada, but refrained from providing you with the link to Technicare Imaging Ltd (external link) because I wasn't sure if they deal with the general public and I wasn't sure if you were a business or a hobbyist with the occasional job. Silly me, they probably deal with the public as well. Myself, I have a dealer account with them and they're my one and only lab for prints, proof books, portfolio books and USB flash drives with my logo on. When I need small time printing I turn to Bird Films in my city.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,531 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Feb 22, 2016 01:07 |  #12

Alveric wrote in post #17906370 (external link)

Over the years I have asked on multiple ocasions for anyone to post the names of commercial photo printers who accept aRGB without file conversion to sRGB before printing. Thus far, only TWO labs worldwide had been identified. So I was very interested to hear of a possible third commercial print maker, Technicare.

So I went to the web and looked them up. They actually state NOTHING about a SPECIFIC colorspace on their website. What they say do so on the topic:

"All files should be converted to your working space to ensure continuity in your workflow. When you save your JPEGs out of Photoshop, make sure to check the “Embed Colour Profile” checkbox in the Save dialog box. Without this checked, the colour space will not be saved and resulting in possible unpredictable colour in your prints."

...in other words, "if you embed the color profile information within the file, we can accept the file and (automatically convert if necessary) print the image file you send to us."

...and this itself could easily mean "We accept anything, but convert to Colorspace sRGB before we print", rather than meaning, "We print everyything within the native colorspace of the file that you send us. "

From their web page it is inconclusive that they 'want aRGB' as you stated.
Have you got something from them, not viewable as information on their web page but which is furnished to established customer accounts, which is explicit in their preference for aRGB?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 22, 2016 01:31 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

Telephone communications. Once I phoned them regarding settings and that's when and where they told me to use aRGB.

tim
Light Bringer
50,969 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 22, 2016 02:21 |  #14

Wilt wrote in post #17907843 (external link)
Over the years I have asked on multiple ocasions for anyone to post the names of commercial photo printers who accept aRGB without file conversion to sRGB before printing. Thus far, only TWO labs worldwide had been identified. So I was very interested to hear of a possible third commercial print maker, Technicare.

Queensberry.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

tim
Light Bringer
50,969 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 22, 2016 02:22 |  #15

Alveric wrote in post #17907853 (external link)
Telephone communications. Once I phoned them regarding settings and that's when and where they told me to use aRGB.

Why does a phone company have to do with color space? That's like asking your dentist for advice on fixing your car...

sponsored links

3,753 views & 1 like for this thread
What colourspace to save in?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.