Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 21:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What colourspace to save in?

Mark ­ Vuleta
Goldmember
4,170 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Mark Vuleta.

Feb 22, 2016 05:48 |  #16

Technicare also recommend that you turn your monitor up to 100% in their colour management section! ......... I don't think so. I'll ask them for a profile and check it.

EDIT: One of the widest gamut papers that they offer would be Kodak Supra Endura (Glossy) and they probably use Durst Lambda print processing.

Below is a plot of the paper profile vs sRGB & aRGB. Both of the colour spaces exceed the paper profile in areas, and the paper/printer combination exceed the colour space in other areas.

The paper/printer combination intersects 55% of aRGB and 71% of sRGB.

This is very common. Some of the very latest 12 colour inkjets would have a slightly larger gamut on this paper but not by much.

The first is sRGB in the Red wire cage, the second is aRGB with the Red wire cage. The Kodak paper is the solid colour plot.

The plots are rotated to show the worst case (mostly some blues, greens & yellows) but these extreme edges of the colour gamut rarely exist in nature.

So, my answer to the origional OP would be to stick to sRGB as it is the most universal and as a general rule, would encompass most colours you would encounter.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,498 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Feb 22, 2016 09:10 |  #17

tim wrote in post #17907880 (external link)
Queensberry.

Hi Tim, indeed it was YOU who is one of only two POTN respondents in the world who could provide the name of a commercial photo print maker who accepted aRGB and printed it without any conversion to sRGB! Alas, your recent response has not increased the number to '3' commercial printers.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

medd63
362 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Feb 22, 2016 13:10 |  #18

tim wrote in post #17907881 (external link)
Why does a phone company have to do with color space? That's like asking your dentist for advice on fixing your car...

I think he meant he got that information from CALLING Technicare on the phone. Telephone communications with the printing lab.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 22, 2016 13:23 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

medd63 wrote in post #17908440 (external link)
I think he meant he got that information from CALLING Technicare on the phone. Telephone communications with the printing lab.

This.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Xerxes
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 26, 2016 01:27 |  #20

neacail wrote in post #17906322 (external link)
For London Drugs . . . sRGB. Black's wanted sRGB. I assume it is the same for Walmart and Costco. Even Vistek wanted sRGB the last time I spoke to them about what colour space they wanted (that was in 2013 . . . might be worth discussing with them again). I actually don't know of any printers that specifically want Adobe RGB. The ones I've spoken to either say sRGB or that they don't know (which is kind of scary).

For the web . . . sRGB. Most monitors and devices don't support the entire sRGB colour space, and I think Adobe RGB compliance is a long way off. sRGB is the lowest common denominator at present.

In a few years things might change and the Adobe RGB colour space might be utilized fully by consumer products. You can tweak and re-export anything that you want to print or display as Adobe RGB then.

Exactly what I needed to know, thankyou!

Xerxes
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 26, 2016 01:29 |  #21

chauncey wrote in post #17906440 (external link)
Save for what???
I always save ProPhoto on my HD as there is occasion that things may need to be changed, also, I do not flatten my images.
Going into sRGB is reserved when they are to be printed...that shift to sRGB often requires some minor image tweaking.

Generally flickr or printing. When I export from lightroom it does a good job of keeping the colours, but photoshop not so much. I am worried that if I save in too expansive a colourspace, it won't display correctly on other devices or be resampled by flickr/facebook what have you.

Kumsa
215 posts
Joined May 2010

Mar 03, 2016 12:17 |  #22

If you are doing your own printing on a photo printer (e.g., low end would be Canon Pro-100) then RAW, ProPhotoRGB and the final print is made from 16bitTIFF_ProPhotoRGB (assuming color). There was a lively discussion in DPReview on the topic that ended with a video and test prints: http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/396433​7 (external link).

6D / Canon 35 f2 IS USM / Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 / EF-S 55-250mm / Sigma 70-200 2.8 / Sigma Tele 2.x / Samyang 14mm / Yong Nuo flashes / Orlit Strobes Pixma Pro-100 / Epson P800 / ColorHug / Tokina 100mm AT-X M100 AF PRO D / Linux Ubuntu / PrintFab-TurboPrint / AfterShot Pro / GIMP / DarkTable / Zerene Stacker

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,611 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 04, 2016 04:32 |  #23

http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/396433​7 (external link)

After the first five pages of that reading, all I can say is Bless you POTN!

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Mar 04, 2016 06:23 |  #24

agedbriar wrote in post #17922958 (external link)
http://www.dpreview.co​m/forums/thread/396433​7 (external link)

After the first five pages of that reading, all I can say is Bless you POTN!

I didn't make it through five. :lol:

But, in all fairness, they were discussing a different situation. For those who do their own printing in a closed and calibrated colour control system that they themselves maintain, things can get more complicated.

For those of us who have our printing done by outside sources, or who are processing images for web or mobile viewing, we typically have the luxury of taking a very simple and pragmatic approach.

It is very nice to see that throughout this thread common sense has prevailed.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

sponsored links

3,683 views & 1 like for this thread
What colourspace to save in?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.