Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 23 Feb 2016 (Tuesday) 20:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New (to me) MacBook Pro needs HD

Danisdiner
96 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 23, 2016 20:14 |  #1

I work for a MSSP. They replace all machines as they go out of warranty. I won one of the Macs today but will need to put a hard drive into the machine (the company removes them before giving them away). I am PC usually. One of the guys suggested SSD. Not sure what size to get. I'll probably not use the Mac other than traveling as I had a nice desktop made just a few months ago. How much room do I need? I've been told the machine is about 4 years old.

sponsored links
gossamer88
"something else"
1,034 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 23, 2016 20:26 |  #2

I would start here: http://eshop.macsales.​com/ (external link)

If it is 4 years old, you'll end up with a 2.5" HD. I would get 256GB. I manage just fine with that size on my 13" Retina MacBook Pro.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,172 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 23, 2016 22:36 |  #3

Exactly what Gossamer88 said. OWC will allow you to find exactly what's compatible with your Mac as far as hardware goes, and they have excellent guides on installation as well.

If it happens to be a model with an optical drive, you can also do an internal two HDD setup with the optical drive in an external USB enclosure. I have a 120GB SSD in my MBP (late 2011) for programs, etc. and a 750GB HDD for storage of movies, photos, and other random stuff. It also has a small partition set up for bootcamp to run Windows for those few "Windows only" programs I use.

GEAR LIST

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 24, 2016 10:27 |  #4

In my late 2011 I have a 250GB Samsung EVO 850 and I replaced the CD drive with the stock 500GB HDD. This setup works pretty well for me as I have OSX, my applications and LR catalogs on the SSD, and I have some internal storage available as well. I keep my main photo archives on external drives at home, but the 500GB of internal space allows me to store some files on the macbook as needed.

250GB for the SSD works for me as I'm not really storing large amounts of files on the SSD, and I've tweaked a few things like turning off local Time Machine backups. If you use local Time Machine backups, iCloud storage, have lots of apps, etc, you may want to go with a 500GB drive.

The biggest problem I have with my late 2011 macbook is there are no USB 3.0 ports and only one Thunderbolt port. I use a $200 thunderbolt dock to partially alleviate this limitation, so I have reasonably quick throughput to my large external drives.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,172 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 24, 2016 17:43 as a reply to  @ bacchanal's post |  #5

USB 3.0 is the biggest issue for sure with the late 2011 and earlier MBP's, and I'm not exactly sure when they added it but it was pretty soon afterward. Thunderbolt accessories were supposed to make not having USB 3.0 a non-issue, but unfortunately there still aren't many around, and the ones that exist are usually very expensive compared to similar USB 3.0 accessories. I also use an external thunderbolt dock (Akitio Thunderdock) to attach my USB 3.0 and eSATA drives for faster access.

GEAR LIST

gossamer88
"something else"
1,034 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 24, 2016 20:30 as a reply to  @ Lyndön's post |  #6

USB 3.0 was introduced in the 2012 models.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by absplastic.

Feb 26, 2016 23:21 |  #7

Definitely go SSD if you know that you're going to use this machine enough to justify putting a couple of hundred dollars into it. Does it have enough RAM to be a photo editing machine, or is it going to be a nightly photo dump machine when traveling? Overall, the SSD will give you a faster, cooler-running, less battery-draining machine, and the prices for SSDs are reasonable now. I would only buy as much space as you think you need for what you plan to do, because any laptop you might buy to replace it is going to have an SSD already, likely bigger and faster, so I would consider this one unlikely to migrate to a new machine.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links

1,828 views & 8 likes for this thread
New (to me) MacBook Pro needs HD
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.