Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Feb 2016 (Monday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sport Team Business model

figo
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by figo. (2 edits in all)

Feb 22, 2016 23:24 |  #1

I've been approached by a baseball association to take team/individual photos for 18 teams (12-18 years old)

My unique selling position in the past was I would take game action photos on top of the traditional packages most people offer - baseball cards with game action photos were very popular with parents. Then I would pass on a few photos to the association to use for promotional materials has a kick back for giving me access to the teams.

Total time spent is roughly 3-4 hrs per team including photo session, editing and delivery. I'm currently pulling in $300 per team.

Am I under charging? Is there a better business model?

Thanks

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

sponsored links
Obey
328 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 23, 2016 13:31 |  #2

You would know best if you are under charging.

You know your self worth, your local competition, how many times people have told you "that's a little too expensive", etc...

Canon 6D & 80D | 135 f2 L | 24-105 f4 L | 70-200 f4 L | Sigma 35 1.4 ART | Canon 85 1.8
Canon EOS 3 + Mamiya RZ67 film
BradBphoto (external link)| Instagram (external link)

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 24, 2016 08:36 |  #3

Hi Figo,

The $300 mark per team for 3-4 hours seems fine (basically you are making $100/hour before expenses), based on your pricing you would spend 54 hours to make $5400. But think about it from the perspective of all the teams. I find it hard to believe that each team would be interested in spending a couple hours to get the photos. You have an association that has asked you for T&I photos, so lets forget about what you "normally" do for a second and look at what they want and what that is worth.

I will use numbers that are pretty standard in my area since I don't know what rates are where you are.

- 18 baseball teams - assume 15 players per team = 270 players.
- 90% of baseball players typically buy, but lets assume 80% = 216
- average profit (after COG) per player is $22 = $4752

It takes 20 minutes to do a T&I per team. call it 30 minutes per team - so you can shoot all teams in 9 hours - say over 2 days.
I use a great service for sports prints - https://ezfo.to/ (external link) (here is the great part it is in Canada - but they ship to US, so you pay in CDN dollars at a positive 30% exchange rate)
Their batch system makes putting a order together so fast and simple it takes me about 15 minutes per team to put an order in. I actually did 12 baseball teams for an association last year and it took me 3 hours to submit the order. so lets say 6 hours for you. we are now at 15 hours. When the orders come back they come pre packaged in plastic bags so you tape the package of trading cards to the bag of prints and drop in an envelop and you are done - all those teams will take you less than 2 hours to package. and turn around from shoot to package delivery is less than 1 week. If you want to use your own templates and printer I can't tell you how much time it will take you to submit an order, but I am sure it is way more time that the guys I use.

So now we are at 17 hours for $4752 = $279 per hour. and that is over basically 3 days. your way it would take you several weeks to schedule, shoot and edit.

Now $4752 might be less that the $5400 you would make doing it your way, but my way I make almost 3 times as much money per hour, which means I am able to do other jobs and make significantly more in the same number of hours.

Now the funny thing is you ask someone if they would rather bill $4752 or $5400, they will tell you $5400. me I say what is my EBITDA? (Earnings before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization). I make my decisions based on profit, not what i bill.

I would take the $4700 all day long and just do what the client wants.

Hope this helps
Doug

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

figo
THREAD ­ STARTER
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 24, 2016 11:33 as a reply to  @ i_am_cdn's post |  #4

Excellent points.
I guess the game action photos can be substituted for a good portrait photo.

Thanks for the insight.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 20, 2016 11:24 as a reply to  @ i_am_cdn's post |  #5

Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to provide your (invaluable) 2 cents on this subject. What do you find is the most productive method to promote your services?

-J

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 21, 2016 13:00 as a reply to  @ Jethr0's post |  #6

Hi J,

The two most effective ways to promote my services are 1) simple and specific webpage with great SEO, 2) Flyers in Coaches Packages

1) When I first started I had a single website for all my services, but it was hard to get good SEO with it, so I went custom websites for each of my photo services. With a specific website for sports photography, anyone going to it, gets the specific information they need without having to look for it. It also let me get really good SEO and I show up in the top 3 on pretty much any search in my operating area.

So I get lots of customers who simply search for a sports photographer and I come up in the top 3 search.

2) I was lucky enough to have some good relationships with some of the big Community Groups and sports groups that allowed me to pay to put a flyer into Coaches Packages. That one thing alone brings in a lot of work. when a coach has a flyer and order form right in their package, they can simply hand it to the team manager and be done with it - no looking around for a photographer.

hope this helps
Doug

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 21, 2016 19:43 as a reply to  @ i_am_cdn's post |  #7

Doug,

That does help a lot, thank you!

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

sponsored links

2,676 views & 5 likes for this thread
Sport Team Business model
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.