Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 Feb 2016 (Sunday) 10:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Higher ISO values and where are we going with this?

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,986 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 26, 2016 08:34 as a reply to  @ post 17913650 |  #31

I didn't think you could get a quality linear polarizer any more, thanks to AF incompatablity. Although the AF of my 300D worked OK when I used my old Cokin Pl with the EF-s 18-55 USM kit lens I had.

Another issue might be adjusting the filter angles with that really deep hood Sigma provide. I guess I will have to go in on Sunday and see what they say. I'll be in Norwich on Sunday anyway, as it's my Vetrens Breakfast Club meeting. A nice fry up, plenty of millitary banter and a trip to the camera shop, a Sunday couldn't really get much better.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,156 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 26, 2016 08:37 |  #32

I definitely want to watch what you come up with. I am not sure I even trust the Sigma 95 filter that came with my 150-600. I haven't done any real testing with it off or on, but I may just remove it and keep the hood on it.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

werds
"Yes, Sire. You'll shut your trap!"
613 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by werds. (2 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2016 10:22 |  #33

Are you able to source this one? B+W 95mm XS-Pro Digital Vario ND with Multi-Resistant Nano Coating
It is not an el cheapo... and I would think it might be available from some major retailer your side of the pond (it is available through Amazon here stateside as well as through B&H photo which I trust a fair bit as well)

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …3006_95mm_mptv_​mc_nd.html (external link)

Assuming that you weren't looking for more stops lol - on B&H at least it seems most ND filters for higher stops are special order items.

Gear: Nikon D750, Nikon D7200, Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS, Sigma 50-150 2.8 OS HSM EX , Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1, Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Tamron 28-300mm Di VC PZD, Tamron 16-300mm VC PZD, Tamron 150-600 VC, Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8, Nikon SB-900
POTN Seller Feedback (and other)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 26, 2016 19:37 |  #34

I could use two more stops of sensor sensitivity. For sports, I could use higher ISO to get a faster shutter speed. For marching band and color guard, I'd take it in narrower aperture so I can ensure I get a wider DoF. Two stops would be useful; three or four would be excellent!

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18227148/2016/GKG04249.jpg

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18227148/2016/GKG07366.jpg

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,156 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 26, 2016 22:28 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #35

Have you thought about a Sigma 120-300 with a 1.4x TC? You would have more reach and a full stop more light for the sports shooting. Also, why shoot the 70-200 f4L at f5.6 at night? Just curious? I always try to shoot very close to wide open at lower light events and then work through any of the issues after that, so that I don't have motion blur to deal with.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 26, 2016 23:44 |  #36

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17914548 (external link)
Have you thought about a Sigma 120-300 with a 1.4x TC? You would have more reach and a full stop more light for the sports shooting. Also, why shoot the 70-200 f4L at f5.6 at night? Just curious? I always try to shoot very close to wide open at lower light events and then work through any of the issues after that, so that I don't have motion blur to deal with.

The reason for shooting at f/5.6 is that I'm shooting the marching band. The example photo with the girl from color guard doesn't show what I'm normally shooting. The one below does. All four flute players are in focus. At f/4, the last one or two might not be.

I'm the chairperson for photography and media for our high school marching band. Unlike sports such as soccer where you need to worry about the ball and one or two athletes who are essentially together, with the marching band they are spread out, often along a line not perpendicular to the camera's lens. So it's a choice. I'm on manual, use 1/500s and f/5.6, and then set the ISO based on the stadium lighting. It's like this strange little genre of photography, but it's cool, and they're great kids!

IMAGE: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18227148/2016/GKG07347.jpg

Graham

mathogre
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 26, 2016 23:47 |  #37

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17914548 (external link)

And no, I'd not thought of the Sigma/TC combo. I like Sigma, and have the 12-24. It's just been a matter of money. That said, I'll definitely look into it. :D

Graham

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,156 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2016 23:58 |  #38

I know a little bit about marching bands, I ended up shooting 4 years of it, and I was actually a bit glad to be done with it for a while, we didn't know how much time it took from our schedules. What I ended up doing was shooting at f2.8, but I tried to get each kid over the course of the different contests. Since the presentation is basically the same each time, you have an opportunity to get just about every kid, depending on the size of the band, over the course of the contests.

We actually liked the isolation that f2.8 gave us on many of the shots. The close group shots are indeed a challenge. It was fun, I enjoyed doing it, but once it was over, I had alot of time to do other events. :)

I often shot at 12800 at f2.8 just to get the look I wanted, but it did mean isolation of the various band members. Having a stop or 2 would indeed allow more versatility in getting larger groups.

IMAGE: https://teamspeed.smugmug.com/CHSBand2011-2012/Concord/i-8WLtSx7/0/X2/BIG_6389-X2.jpg

IMAGE: https://teamspeed.smugmug.com/CHSBand2011-2012/Concord/i-btRbH7C/0/X2/BIG_6355-X2.jpg

IMAGE: https://teamspeed.smugmug.com/CHSBand2011-2012/Bluffton-Invitational/i-dvHHWKW/0/X3/BIG_5990-X3.jpg

mathogre
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Feb 27, 2016 17:48 |  #39

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17914640 (external link)
I know a little bit about marching bands, I ended up shooting 4 years of it, and I was actually a bit glad to be done with it for a while, we didn't know how much time it took from our schedules. What I ended up doing was shooting at f2.8, but I tried to get each kid over the course of the different contests. Since the presentation is basically the same each time, you have an opportunity to get just about every kid, depending on the size of the band, over the course of the contests.

We actually liked the isolation that f2.8 gave us on many of the shots. The close group shots are indeed a challenge. It was fun, I enjoyed doing it, but once it was over, I had alot of time to do other events. :)

I often shot at 12800 at f2.8 just to get the look I wanted, but it did mean isolation of the various band members. Having a stop or 2 would indeed allow more versatility in getting larger groups.

QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE
QUOTED IMAGE

:D

I love these! It's like being back on the field and in the pit. :D

I grok the time. For the remainder of this school year, we've got the spring trip, spring concerts, and a final award banquet. It starts all over again in August with band camp and then the whole marching band season. It will be my fourth year. I do enjoy it though.

Yes, f/2.8 will definitely give you the isolation. I still like a wider DoF, but you really do have nice photos from that. I'd shoot marching band with you anytime! There are, let's say, one or two in my group who haven't quite mastered the craft of photography.

At this link you'll see my collection of albums. There are a few albums of marching band photos. (The bulk of ours are on Shutterfly and are not publicly accessible. I still need to have a few that are public for my portfolio.)

http://grahamglover.ze​nfolio.com/f593136965 (external link)

Graham

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,156 posts
Joined May 2002

Feb 27, 2016 18:05 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #40

Great shots of the band there! We had the same situation, many of the shooters were sporting rebels and kit lenses. :(

Not much you are going to do for the night contests with that kind of equipment unfortunately. Love the drama/stage shots too!

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 29, 2016 18:42 |  #41

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17913336 (external link)
I can go all the way to 1/3200s on my X-E2 now, though I can't imagine when I'll ever need to.

I can already go all the way to 1/16000s using the electronic shutter on all of my Panasonic bodies. It's certainly very useful.

I want to be able to shoot longer exposures with more blur though, so it's not a replacement for lower ISO or ND filters...

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,415 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Feb 29, 2016 18:56 |  #42

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17913336 (external link)
I can go all the way to 1/3200s on my X-E2 now, though I can't imagine when I'll ever need to.

1/3200 isn't very fast, though.
Is that a typo? Did you mean to type 1/32,000?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,520 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 29, 2016 20:46 |  #43

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17918336 (external link)
1/3200 isn't very fast, though.
Is that a typo? Did you mean to type 1/32,000?

Yep, just a typo ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

sponsored links

6,561 views & 21 likes for this thread
Higher ISO values and where are we going with this?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.