Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 25 Feb 2016 (Thursday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Front Row Insurance Claims Handling Stories . . .

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 25, 2016 15:48 |  #1

Has anyone had to place a claim with Front Row Insurance?

If so, can you share the basic details of the claim, and advise me as to how Front Row handled it?

And, having placed a claim with them (which was either paid out or rejected), do you continue to use them?

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
1,672 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 26, 2016 10:59 |  #2

Interested to hear anything about them as well. They seem rather new to the photography insurance angle. But the prices look pretty good. I am tempted to give them a shot.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

i_am_cdn
258 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 26, 2016 12:44 |  #3

I would also be interested in this, as I have switched my insurance to them earlier in the year.

but I suspect with the service being around for less than a year, there may not be many with claims yet.

Douglas Portz Photography
www.portz.ca (external link)
www.winnipegsportsteam​photos.com (external link)
www.winnipegsportsphot​os.com (external link)
www.winnipegeventphoto​s.com (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 26, 2016 17:57 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Following. Considering that by not renewing my PPOC membership I'll lose the special rates with Harvard Insurance, I'm interested in exploring new options.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,166 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Picture North Carolina. (3 edits in all)

Feb 27, 2016 07:59 |  #5

I, too am interested. My inland marine policy with Liberty Insurance has gotten out of hand (cost).

But it is important to note these things:

1. Front Row is not an insurance company. They are a broker.
2. Claims are not (finally) filed with Front Row. They help process the claim, but are a monitor and advocate - a liaison - between you and the insurance company you choose.

So if you use Front Row to create a new policy, it would be important to check the company you will actually be insured by not Front Row.

Edit: one thing I did not discover is if the brokerage fee reoccurs annually. The test policy I ran included a $100 brokerage fee by Front Row. However, I was unable to determine if that brokerage fee is due upon each annual renewal with the insurance carrier.

Website (external link) |

neacail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 27, 2016 08:08 |  #6

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17914825 (external link)
I, too am interested. My inland marine policy with Liberty Insurance has gotten out of hand (cost).

But it is important to note these things:

1. Front Row is not an insurance company. They are a broker.
2. Claims are not (finally) filed with Front Row. They help process the claim, but are a monitor and advocate - a liaison - between you and the insurance company you choose.

So if you use Front Row to create a new policy, it would be important to check the company you will actually be insured by.

Ah! Very good information. I'll have to try to find out what company is doing their Canadian insurance.

After having an automotive claim handled very badly by State Farm (single vehicle accident), and a few years later an R.V. claim (we drove our travel trailer into a tree) that was handled amazing well and blindingly fast by Intact, I'm more concerned about how claims are handled than anything else. It only pays to save on insurance when the insurance actually pays!

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

neacail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by neacail.

Feb 27, 2016 08:12 |  #7

Chubb Insurance Company of Canada is who the actual policy would be provided by. I'll see what information I can turn up with regards to their claims processing on Google.

Edit: Chubb was purchased by ACE in 2015, though the Chubb name is being used.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,166 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Feb 27, 2016 08:31 |  #8

Good deal. If you can, find out if that Front Row brokerage fee is recurring every year. That would be a big issue.

As to your auto, never much liked State Farm nor Natiowide. Years ago I was rear-ended by a driver. I had nationwide insurance. So did he. Talk about going thru he** ! It was like Nationwide was fighting itself. I put them to the curb long ago.

On camera insurance, it's always been very hard to find companies that will carry independent inland marine policies. I plan to seriously check out Front Row and who they are brokering for in the U.S. and hopefully put Liberty Insurance to the curb soon, too.

Thanks for a useful heads-up post.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,922 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tom Reichner with reason 'added spacers'.

Feb 27, 2016 10:46 |  #9

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17914825 (external link)
I The test policy I ran included a $100 brokerage fee by Front Row. However, I was unable to determine if that brokerage fee is due upon each annual renewal with the insurance carrier.

$100 a year brokerage.......holy crap!!!
I would hope/expect to pay about $100 for the entire year's premium ($8 to $10 a month seems reasonable), so having a $100 brokerage fee on top of that would basically be doubling the total cost of having insurance. Cripes!

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

neacail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 27, 2016 10:57 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17914989 (external link)

I would hope/expect to pay about $100 for the entire year's premium ($8 to $10 a month seems reasonable), so having a $100 brokerage fee on top of that would basically be doubling the total cost of having insurance. Cripes!

I missed that. My quote was just under $400 CAD, with one million liability and a couple of the add-ins. I didn't note the brokerage fee.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Feb 27, 2016 11:52 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

neacail wrote in post #17914997 (external link)
I missed that. My quote was just under $400 CAD, with one million liability and a couple of the add-ins. I didn't note the brokerage fee.

Mine was $580, for up to 2M and without any add-ins. Adding, erm, add-ins I got it up to $700, which is still less than the ~$800 I'm paying with Harvard Western. Problem with Harvard Western is the deducible –$1000–, which in the praxis wouldn't really cover lenses that cost less than that should something happened to one of them.

I didn't go for the 5M coverage as the damage to third parties coverage remains at 2M, though I think some crown corporations require the professionals they hire to be covered for 5M. Wonder if you can upgrade after you've purchased a policy.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

neacail
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 27, 2016 13:07 |  #12

Alveric wrote in post #17915058 (external link)
Mine was $580, for up to 2M and without any add-ins. Adding, erm, add-ins I got it up to $700, which is still less than the ~$800 I'm paying with Harvard Western. Problem with Harvard Western is the deducible –$1000–, which in the praxis wouldn't really cover lenses that cost less than that should something happened to one of them.

I didn't go for the 5M coverage as the damage to third parties coverage remains at 2M, though I think some crown corporations require the professionals they hire to be covered for 5M. Wonder if you can upgrade after you've purchased a policy.

Upgrading after the fact would be nice. I know that many places require 2 mil in coverage. But, as I think most liability lawsuits tend to be frivolous in nature, I don't think I need the 2mil right now.

My husband owns a flooring installation company, and he's had one liability lawsuit against him for a relatively small sum. There was no judgement against him, but he offered a settlement. His liability insurance was through Saskatechwan Mutual, and the claim process was an absolute nightmare the whole way through the process. We had to pay for all of hubby's legal fees out of pocket, and the case dragged on for over a year. Saskatchewan Mutual did pay up eventually (legal fees and settlement, minus the deductible) but it took six months after everything was settled.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,166 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Picture North Carolina. (2 edits in all)

Feb 27, 2016 15:38 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17914989 (external link)

A year, every year ? ? ? Unacceptable.

So tell me, what would stop a person from running a quote, discovering who the insurer is, then contracting with them directly?

sponsored links

6,617 views & 0 likes for this thread
Front Row Insurance Claims Handling Stories . . .
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.