Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 26, 2016 15:44 |  #751

umphotography wrote in post #17913950 (external link)
Im hoping they make some significant improvements for the 5D4. I really Dont care what they do. I have been perfectly happy with the 5D3,s. But , im gonna love these improvements that the 1Dx2 offers. Frankly, you cant buy a bad camera right now for professional use. They are light years ahead of what we did just 4 yrs ago.

I Miss the build and the AF of the 1D series. I like my 5D3. Really missed the 1DMKIV when i sold off and went all 5D3 for our needs. At one point we ran 3 5D3 bodies so its not like I hate the 5D3. I dont. Its a great camera. So hoping the 5D4 sees significant changes. I do not see them crippling the 5D4 but I do see this technology thats in the D5 and 1Dx2 to remain in the top line bodies. D750 is a great camera. I have shot with it. ISO is awesome on the camera. Its Nikons answer to the 5D3 with some improvements over the 5D3.

I think Canon will get the 5D4 another step above the D750for features and AF and i think all the Mfgs will now makes changes to these bodies that their core buyers want and continue to lock them into their brands. I know everybody wants a 5D4 thats going to do what a 1Dx2 does for $2995.00.....I dont think its gonna happen. I think canon will up the ISO another 3/4 stop and get 12800 fairly usable on this next update and probably very similar the the current 1Dx1 as far as sensor performance. But its not going to be the 1Dx2 performance both in terms of ISO and AF features. Its not now with the current bodies and that will continue with this next update.

My guess/realistic hope is that the 5D4 will have what is essentially the 1Dx II AF system - albeit with some deficiencies; probably the same hardware but with some f/8 AF points disabled, fewer DIGIC processors (like the 1Dx vs 5D3), and therefore probably not quite as quick (at AF).

Maybe it'll have 4K video - it would seem sensible given the 5D's historical use in this area. Maybe just 30 fps (as 60 fps MJPEG would be too much for CF cards). Maybe they'll go for CFast and SD, but I suspect CF and SD would be more likely.

Dual Pixel looks very likely. High ISO will be a bit worse than the 1Dx II, and obviously frame rate and buffer depth will be nowhere near.

As for MP, probably 24MP-28MP (I'm hoping the high end). Here's a totally crazy suggestion: the 5D3's 22MP sensor had a resolution (width) of 5760 pixels; exactly three times the 1920 pixels of HD video (I assume this might have been to make downsampling the frames easier). A 25MP sensor would have a width of roughly 6144 pixels - exactly 1.5x the 4096 pixel resolution of 4K video. I understand the 1Dx II takes a crop from the sensor for 4K, but that might be a way of getting a decent full frame 4K image. Purely speculation on my part.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sponsored links
sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 26, 2016 15:50 |  #752

jwcdds wrote in post #17914054 (external link)
Canon has never been shy to bring new tech to the non-flagship model. Just look at the 70D w/ dual pixel AF, which I think was the first to have dual-pixel (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)

I thought they traditionally had been shy. In fact, it was a frequent criticism I used to hear that they seemed to deliberately disable features from higher models that would easily have been possible on lower end models.

The 7D was the first non-1D to get a truly great AF system (the 5D2 at the time being heavily criticised). The 5D3 was a bit of a revelation re the AF system (same as the 1Dx, minus only the iTR feature). Fortunately they do seem to have changed - the 7DII was very impressive, and I'm amazed at what they've put into the 80D - things (multiple AF points at f/8) only available in the new 1Dx II... in a midrange body. I'm hoping that bodes well for the 5D4.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,632 posts
Gallery: 1653 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 26, 2016 15:54 |  #753

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17914088 (external link)
Speaking as such a photog, I like the idea of owning 1 of each - as long as the camera's have identical, or nearly identical, layouts from a button perspective so that no thinking is required. There are certain types of pictures, that I will always want as many pixels as possible, but if the 5D4 gets 28 megapixels or so, that will do for the 80% - especially if the buffer issue exists as it does with the 5DSR. Bridal portraits and big family portraits that can get ordered as very large prints favours the 5DSR type camera.

I suspect the 5DM4 might very well be the last of the 5D line-up, just like how the 1D (aps-h) went by way of the dodo bird. Since the 6D is the intro FF. There's not too many reasons for the 5D to exist. 7D2 will beat it for sports (anti-flicker for stadium 10fps, larger buffer), the 1DX torches it for just about anything else except resolution and silent shutter. So might as well go with the 5DS line-up from this point forward, super-high resolution for those who need it. And those who don't... well, shoot mRAW or just shoot full and downsize. :D

Farewell, 5D... :lol:

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 26, 2016 16:22 |  #754

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17914088 (external link)
Speaking as such a photog, I like the idea of owning 1 of each - as long as the camera's have identical, or nearly identical, layouts from a button perspective so that no thinking is required. There are certain types of pictures, that I will always want as many pixels as possible, but if the 5D4 gets 28 megapixels or so, that will do for the 80% - especially if the buffer issue exists as it does with the 5DSR. Bridal portraits and big family portraits that can get ordered as very large prints favours the 5DSR type camera.

Big prints can be ordered with a 20MP sensor as well. I seriously dont need nor want to mess with the bigger files. 5D3 is plenty, 38MP is overkill for weddings. 80% of us design albums and M raw is more than enough. Most brides rarely order above 16x24. Parents may order slightly bigger but rarely. This sensor on the 1Dx2 is probably a perfect size. Most of us are not shooting and cropping into a file like you would for wildlife stuff. If I had a 28MP sensor I would be in Mraw 90% of the time. As it is now with the 5D3, I switch it to full raw for formals and usually Mraw for receptions and getting ready work. Really No need for a bigger file for most of us.

I plan on keeping my lowest count 5D3, use the 7D2 and 1Dx2 and 5D3 for all the needs of a wedding.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 26, 2016 16:41 |  #755

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17913461 (external link)
yes but it kind of removes the pro argument of having a camera having 2 card slots as some may just use one due to the cf slot crippling buffer and fps speeds when used along with the cfast :(

I don't know, every Canon DSLR that has had two cards thus far has had a "Pro" CF card slot and a slow as molasses consumer SD card slot. In none of the previous models has this attribute been seen to remove the cameras pro status.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,980 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Feb 26, 2016 16:44 |  #756

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17914178 (external link)
I don't know, every Canon DSLR that has had two cards thus far has had a "Pro" CF card slot and a slow as molasses consumer SD card slot. In none of the previous models has this attribute been seen to remove the cameras pro status.

The 7D II takes advantage of recent memory card technology: SD cards with UHS-I (SDR104) and CF cards with UDMA 7, allowing theoretical maximum write speeds of 104MB/s and 167MB/s, respectively. SD slots don't have to be slow. The only camera with 2 slots that seems crippled to me anyways, is the 5D3. However as you point out, it doesn't take away from its pro status, it is a camera used by many a pro shooter.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,880 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 26, 2016 17:24 |  #757

Whats going on with the current 1Dx. They are both CF. I dont recall reading any issues of it being super slow with both cards recording ???

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Feb 26, 2016 17:42 |  #758

umphotography wrote in post #17914214 (external link)
Whats going on with the current 1Dx. They are both CF. I dont recall reading any issues of it being super slow with both cards recording ???

Heil Identical Cards!

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Erik S. Klein.

Feb 26, 2016 17:48 |  #759

umphotography wrote in post #17914214 (external link)

It's not slow. The dual CF slots are pretty quick with good cards. The 1Dx does, however, have a fairly limited buffer so card write speeds do become an issue fairly quickly.

The Mark II improves on this greatly, from what I'm reading, and it's an upgrade I was hoping for. That and my headphone jack for video recording. :-P

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,668 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 26, 2016 19:20 |  #760

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17914228 (external link)
It's not slow. The dual CF slots are pretty quick with good cards. The 1Dx does, however, have a fairly limited buffer so card write speeds do become an issue fairly quickly.

The Mark II improves on this greatly, from what I'm reading, and it's an upgrade I was hoping for. That and my headphone jack for video recording. :-P

Agreed. Speed is not the problem with the CF cards on the 1DX. It is the size of the buffer. Only 30 shots or so.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,924 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Feb 26, 2016 19:28 |  #761

idkdc wrote in post #17914222 (external link)
Heil Identical Cards!

Oh yeah, I forgot about 1Dx.. DUH!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 26, 2016 21:21 as a reply to  @ rdalrt's post |  #762

True but you get more than that in practice.
My 1DX is set to 10 FPS and I get 53+ RAW files before it slows, cards are a pair of Lexar 1000x 32GB. Plenty of buffer for my uses and, more importantly it clears very quickly.
For my, wildlife, uses the C Fast option is just an added expense - but more is better so I am not whinging too much.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
18,776 posts
Gallery: 1845 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 27, 2016 00:20 |  #763

Today sitting in the blind, 7Dii on a hawk, me waiting for him to spring into flight.
At 10 fps I got 6 images via the narrow window I had to shoot through before he was
out of bounds. I think the extra 4 fps will be most helpful in getting that many more poses.
I could use a lot more on the ISO end too but what really would have helped today was
more light period....I used to think a cloud followed me everywhere, then one day I realized
I live inside of one :)
Mwsilver- the backyard is 200,000 acres of nat. forest .

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 27, 2016 00:56 |  #764

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17914663 (external link)
Today sitting in the blind, 7Dii on a hawk, me waiting for him to spring into flight.
At 10 fps I got 6 images via the narrow window I had to shoot through before he was
out of bounds. I think the extra 4 fps will be most helpful in getting that many more poses.
I could use a lot more on the ISO end too but what really would have helped today was
more light period....I used to think a cloud followed me everywhere, then one day I realized
I live inside of one :)
Mwsilver- the backyard is 200,000 acres of nat. forest .

I hope you have a gardener to prune your trees. :-)

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,024 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 27, 2016 01:19 |  #765

Although I have not ruled out getting this camera, for birds its not much of a upgrade the silent shutter will be loud and only 2mp more I would have liked it to be around 28mp

So for me its how much better the AF and noise is over the 1dx .

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

sponsored links

283,139 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.