Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Feb 2016 (Sunday) 18:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

35 f2 non-IS?

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,642 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 28, 2016 18:57 |  #1

I recently bought a Yongnuo 35mm f/2 for my 70D for personal use. I love the focal length, but the Yongnuo is way too soft. I have zooms that cover that focal length, but I wanted something smaller and simpler for street. I'm completely shocked that there's nothing reasonable available for less than $600.

So I've been looking at used Canon 35/2's on ebay for around $240. Is this a reasonably sharp and quick/reliable focusing lens? If not, then I guess I'll stick with my 17-55, because it's just not worth it to me to spend $600 for a 35/2IS or Tamron 35/1.8.

If there's a sample thread for the 35/2 non-IS I'd appreciate the link.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links
Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by Eastport.

Feb 28, 2016 19:53 |  #2

35 f/2 IS - Canon refurb for $479.

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 28, 2016 23:39 |  #3

Sigma 30 1.4 Art. Rent one to try out if possible. $449 retail. I rented one and thought it was awesome. That was my first experience with an Art lens. Very pleasing bokeh.

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,828 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by DreDaze.

Feb 28, 2016 23:44 |  #4

here's the sample thread:
https://photography-on-the.net …ead.php?t=14131​7&page=104

it doesn't get a ton of action recently, but the lens is a good little lens...is small decently sharp, and cheap

other option aside from suggested above is the original 30mm f1.4 from sigma..you should be able to find that one on ebay for $250 or less

as for your yongnuo, i know i've seen at least one thread where they forget to pull off a plastic piece, and sharpness improved after that...i think there were two plastic pieces covering the lens, and they removed one but didn't realize there was another one

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

bumpintheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Self-inflicted bait
1,642 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 28, 2016 23:52 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #5

Yeah, I read that thread too. It was the guy who broke his Canon and got a Yongnuo to replace it. But I definitely removed both pieces of plastic.

I'll do some searching on ebay and see what I can turn up. At least the Sigma 30A is a bit more affordable.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

bseitz234
379 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 29, 2016 07:57 as a reply to  @ bumpintheroad's post |  #6

I'm pretty sure sigma sells refurbs of the 30A, which would make it even more affordable. That lens does have pretty bad CA, and the focus won't be quite as reliable as the canon, but I think overall it's worth considering. Focus should be better than the canon 35 f/2 non-is (that old micro motor is... um...not the pinnacle of autofocus technology).

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 29, 2016 09:03 |  #7

When I want small, simple, and street, I go with a manual focus prime. Different mindset and different satisfaction from a good shot. YMMV, but 35mm was not wide enough for me on a crop camera. I tried different focal lengths and ended up really liking a Nikon 20mm f/3.5 manual focus. With no electronics, f stop and focus is preset on the lens (my default is f/8 and 10ft to give me focus from ~5 ft to infinity), EC set on the camera in AV mode (each lens behaves differently), and even if the camera is off, I know I can just turn it on and boom take the shot.

Of course if you plan on needing AF and a thinner DOF, then not really relevant for you, but just to give you something to think about.

A EF-s 22mm f/2 pancake would be nice

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 29, 2016 09:45 |  #8

I should look into the CA behavior of the 30A... mine seems to do a lot better than my 85 f1.8 (which needs mfa that my cameras don't have).

The 30A lacks the full frame image and IS of the 35. Otherwise mine is just a great lens.

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

bumpintheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Self-inflicted bait
1,642 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 29, 2016 11:00 as a reply to  @ lilkngster's post |  #9

Between my old eyes and modern focus screens, manual focus isn't really an option.

bumpintheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Self-inflicted bait
1,642 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 29, 2016 11:01 as a reply to  @ DoughnutPhoto's post |  #10

I don't really need IS. Of course I say that now and will probably be proven wrong the first time I go out shooting.

DoughnutPhoto
513 posts
Joined Aug 2014

Feb 29, 2016 12:19 |  #11

It seems the Yongnuo that you have now has similar performance to the older Canon 35mm f2. I could be wrong.

Perhaps you have a bad copy of the Yongnuo or something else could be causing bad results?

Canon 5d, 60d, 17-40mm L, 30mm Art, 50mm, 85mm

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 29, 2016 12:32 |  #12

bumpintheroad wrote in post #17917707 (external link)
I don't really need IS. Of course I say that now and will probably be proven wrong the first time I go out shooting.

Correct me, forum members, if I am wrong about this (or if I am putting it too simply), but, when someone says they don't need IS, it always occurs to me to think (and sometimes say - right or wrong) that, whatever shutter speed you can handle without IS, there will always be a slower shutter speed that you can handle with IS.

Now, I do recognize that many will say, "well I never need to go below 1/30 or one full second or whatever I can currently hand-hold without IS", and I understand that, but is my statement above reasonably correct?

Martin.D
Goldmember
2,078 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 29, 2016 12:57 |  #13

I have the IS version and it's extremely sharp at 1/40 second!

Web Site (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)
Flickr (external link)
Canon 5D Mark IV + Glass

bumpintheroad
THREAD ­ STARTER
Self-inflicted bait
1,642 posts
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 29, 2016 14:39 |  #14

Eastport wrote in post #17917841 (external link)
Correct me, forum members, if I am wrong about this (or if I am putting it too simply), but, when someone says they don't need IS, it always occurs to me to think (and sometimes say - right or wrong) that, whatever shutter speed you can handle without IS, there will always be a slower shutter speed that you can handle with IS.

Now, I do recognize that many will say, "well I never need to go below 1/30 or one full second or whatever I can currently hand-hold without IS", and I understand that, but is my statement above reasonably correct?

I'm sure that IS is effective at slower shutter speeds. I expect that Canon wouldn't waste time putting it on lenses for no benefit.

I know that, empirically, I can handhold a 35mm lens at 1/25th. Even on a crop body. I also know that, if necessary, I seldom have complaint about shooting at ISO 6400. So f/2 at 1/25th and 6400 is somewhere around 1 EV. That's pretty darn dark, and pretty much the limit at which my 70D can focus. If it's going to be darker than that I have several tripods, flashes and LED lighting that I'm not adverse to using. Obviously, I can't predict all future situations, but I would be very comfortable trading IS in exchange for $300 worth of savings, particularly on a short focal length lens with reasonable fast aperture.

bseitz234
379 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 29, 2016 14:58 as a reply to  @ Eastport's post |  #15

I would agree that yes, if you can handhold at a given shutter speed and get sharp images of static subjects, IS will allow you to get sharp images at even longer shutter speeds. However, subject motion adds into that "I can handhold at 1/30 and never need to go slower". In this case, where the main intended use is street, I assume subjects are largely people, and largely moving at least a little bit. For this case, gaining the ability to handhold at 1/4 second isn't probably all that useful...

sponsored links

2,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
35 f2 non-IS?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.