Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 27 Feb 2016 (Saturday) 17:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Storage solutions for 2 photographer business

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 27, 2016 17:47 |  #1

My partner and I live on opposite sides of the city and it often takes a couple of days for both of us to get a complete set of images. For example, the wedding we just shot had over 20 gbs of RAW images and I brought all the cards home, loaded them on my computer, then I will get the cards to him in the next couple of days for him to load onto his computer. Then of course we each do our own edits and we combine them at some point. As you can see, this is not very efficient at all. I use Mac and he uses Windows, shouldn't be an issue, but wanted to be thorough for my questions later..

Ideally I would like to bring the images back to my house, load them onto a storage device that we can both access remotely and edit/save images directly from that device without having to download them, then later upload the edits.

Obviously...my question is, what's the best way to accomplish this. I have a WD MyCloud drive now, but it is not very user friendly and is very slow. I am looking at Synology and wondered if anyone has experience with that system and could comment.

I imagine we would each have a sign-on to access the images, and would be able to work directly off of that device and save the edited images on the same device. That way when the other person goes in to do some editing, we can see what has already been done.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Gear
Website (external link)

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 27, 2016 18:43 |  #2

I think it'd be too slow to edit off a remote disk. Why would one person not edit everything? You want a consistent look. You edit one wedding, he edits the next. I outsource editing, super boring.

If I had to do what you wanted it'd be with BitTorrent Sync, and use XMP files. Runs off your internal hard drive. Encrypted/private.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 29, 2016 02:55 |  #3

Why not back up at the event to a portable Sanho Hyperdrive? This way you have back up and one person can take the cards and one person take the drives. Much faster than trying to do anything over the Internet with that much info.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

ShotByTom
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 29, 2016 13:50 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #4

We have a WD My Passport wireless HD with an SD card reader that usually works fine for portrait sessions. But for weddings, it was just taking too long to load 32 gbs of images.

Gear
Website (external link)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 29, 2016 14:47 as a reply to  @ ShotByTom's post |  #5

Wireless will always be quite a bit slower. Get the Colorspace and put in a SSD and you're in business.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 29, 2016 15:38 |  #6

Maybe something like Dropbox would be appropriate? You can setup a shared folder between two Dropbox accounts. One of you would load all the photos from the cards into the Dropbox folder, and Dropbox would send them to the other person's computer over the internet for you. Any time one of you edits a photo and saves it, Dropbox would sync it back to the other person's computer.

Pros: Editing is fast, because you both have a copy of the photos on your local computer. It's also easy to setup.

Cons: Waiting for Dropbox to send the initial photo import from one computer to the other before the second person can start working on them. Depends on how fast your internet connections are.

You shouldn't use the same Lightroom catalog over Dropbox (at least not at the same time), but if you are using sidecar files, you could probably store referenced Lightroom photos in this way.

Dropbox is $10/month for 1TB of space, so $20/month for the two of you.

* Make sure you backup the shared photos folder. If one of you moves the photos out of that folder, then they are removed on the other person's computer as well.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,587 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 29, 2016 15:49 |  #7

Think about companies that provide editing services. How do they get your images? They don't. They edit using your LR catalog. I believe that's the way you need to think. Uploading/downloading raw images, regardless of storage mechanism, should not even be considered.

Gearlist

tim
Light Bringer
50,962 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 29, 2016 16:00 |  #8

I'm not sure an SSD would help much. Copying files is sequential, spinning hard drives are fine at that, and are fast enough to take the information from a CF card. SSD use less battery is all.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sfreer
42 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by sfreer.

Feb 29, 2016 16:26 |  #9

I just setup a Synology 1815+ and am very impressed with the system. Remote access is very easy to configure. The ability to use the system for remote edits will depend on your uplink speed for your internet connection.

NDAPhoto
264 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by NDAPhoto. (2 edits in all)

Mar 02, 2016 19:45 |  #10

I installed a Synology DiskStation DS416 a few months ago. It is used with an East Coast partner and other periodic contributors. We can also send secure links to clients for uploads and downloads. The File Station or Cloud Station packages included will solve your issues about file sharing and remote access to each other's edited files. You can set up group shared folders too, but I don't think there is a way to share raw source files for editing by multiple users. Pretty sure this is a limitation by Adobe. Still, you can edit on your respective computers and the edited files can be shared automatically from a common folder.

sponsored links

2,485 views & 0 likes for this thread
Storage solutions for 2 photographer business
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.