Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Feb 2016 (Monday) 13:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

need mid-stand clamp for umbrella & speedlight

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 29, 2016 13:14 |  #1

All the clamps that I've found for mounting a speedlight and umbrella on a light stand sit on top of the stand. I'm looking for one that will clamp onto the middle of the stand. Does anyone know of something like that?
Thanks

sponsored links
flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by flowrider.

Feb 29, 2016 13:22 |  #2

Manfrotto Super Clamp? Or use a boom to get it away from the stand.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Alveric.

Feb 29, 2016 13:32 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

Superclamp and umbrella bracket, or, for more flexibility a grip arm with the superclamp (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …KIT_Grip_Kit_an​d_Bag.html (external link)) and the umbrella bracket.

You could also benefit from the Manfrotto 244 flexible arm (http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …able_Friction_M​agic.html) (external link), with or without camera bracket: https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=DB159XXbSIs (external link)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Feb 29, 2016 15:18 |  #4

ncjohn wrote in post #17917882 (external link)
All the clamps that I've found for mounting a speedlight and umbrella on a light stand sit on top of the stand. I'm looking for one that will clamp onto the middle of the stand. Does anyone know of something like that?
Thanks

A Mf Superclamp - but - add the 6 in extension arm - it adds an upright spigot at the end, giving nice clearance from the mother stand.

For a really heavy light, use two, like this:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

RicoTudor
622 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Feb 29, 2016 20:56 |  #5

Grip arm for me.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 29, 2016 22:44 |  #6

So, researching all your suggestions, looks like what I need is called a grip head. Now, more research.
Thanks folks.

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,381 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Feb 29, 2016 23:34 |  #7

I'm not sure how much this will help you but it may give you an idea of how to do it.

I use an ancient mounting bracket from a Larson Reflectasol which was a high quality umbrella type reflector from many years ago. I use it for sports headshot to create a clamshell lighting scheme with a minimum of equipment to haul around.

IMAGE: http://www.palermini.com/Family/Tripod/i-H9F7Tq9/0/XL/Umbrella%20Bracket%201-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.palermini.com/Family/Tripod/i-VfFDgbT/0/XL/Umbrella%20Bracket%202-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.palermini.com/Family/Tripod/i-WKm2wzQ/0/XL/Headshot%20setup-XL.jpg

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 01, 2016 00:09 as a reply to  @ bpalermini's post |  #8

Well, Bob, your shot #3 is exactly what I want to do. :) And the fact is, 30 or so years ago I had the same equipment! That's hilarious! Unfortunately, about 13 years ago I got the idea that I wasn't going to need them anymore (or the stands, or the Vivitar 283's, or the Quantum batteries... sigh) and sold them all. Oh well. :)

You ever heard of Finelight? The guy made all these amazing diffusers, reflectors, and stands, all from PVC. Bulky but they worked really well and cost pennies.
It's from the same era.

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,381 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by bpalermini.

Mar 01, 2016 00:36 |  #9

Here you go (external link), $23.

Edit: Actually if you search for larson reflectasol at eBay there are quite a few options, some even less expensive.

The setup works pretty well. You do have to be aware of the light stand in front of you and keep it out of the frame.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Mar 01, 2016 02:14 |  #10

ncjohn wrote in post #17918665 (external link)
So, researching all your suggestions, looks like what I need is called a grip head. Now, more research.
Thanks folks.

Maybe. An Extension Grip Arm typically has a Grip head permanently fixed at one end. You'd probably want an extra spare Grip head to be able to grip the arm midway along its length. A Grip head on a stand is typically used at the stand's top - where the stand should have a full Baby pin top fitting - not just the more usual 5/8 X 35 mm spigot. All this can offer a rock solid solution but has costs, $ & Kg.

For a Speedlite plus shoot through umbrella, a Mf Superclamp-6 in Ext piece-spigot/stud-umbrella adapter, would be my choice. (There is a 50cm version of the extension instead of 6 in.)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 01, 2016 11:27 |  #11

bpalermini wrote in post #17918758 (external link)
Here you go (external link), $23.

Edit: Actually if you search for larson reflectasol at eBay there are quite a few options, some even less expensive.

Well so there are! Thanks Bob.

RicoTudor
622 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Mar 02, 2016 01:24 |  #12

Here's my solution to OP's problem. :) I do have a certain Manfrotto umbrella adapter, but its popularity and metal build cannot disguise the awkward handling, uncertain hold, and faulty geometry. Standard grip gear is far sturdier and allows on-axis positioning:

IMAGE: http://patternassociates.com/rico/fm/umbrella014.jpg

Grip arm holds the umbrella shaft and is gagged onto the stand riser. The (lower) flash is gagged onto the grip arm at an optimal position. Note the perfect light distribution from the umbrella—sorry, no shoot thru. Closeup of the business end:

IMAGE: http://patternassociates.com/rico/fm/umbrella015.jpg

This grip gear may seem expensive, but note that it can be assembled into myriad configurations (just like Tinker Toys). What gets expensive is buying the same support repeatedly because vendors impose their proprietary connectors and dimensions.

Couple of caveats to my solution: First, I would never clamp onto a alu riser since they are easily crushed. Second, the gag does not operate correctly on tubing above 5/8". For wider sections of riser, you need a clamp (pipe, Matthellini, Mafer) with baby pin or grip head.

Canon, Nikon, Contax, Leica, Sony, Profoto.

sponsored links

1,814 views & 1 like for this thread
need mid-stand clamp for umbrella & speedlight
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.