Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 01 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Reasons Not to Dump DSLRs for Mirrorless

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 01, 2016 21:34 |  #1

Did a search, didn't see it posted.

Reasons Not to Dump DSLRs for Mirrorless (external link)

Website (external link) |

sponsored links
EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,459 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 02, 2016 16:48 |  #2

They also made this one ;)

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=OP44dXn2Q-w (external link)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 02, 2016 18:04 |  #3

Yeah, 10 months earlier. Guess he decided his first impressions were a bit misleading.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,459 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 02, 2016 18:27 |  #4

Jon wrote in post #17921116 (external link)
Yeah, 10 months earlier. Guess he decided his first impressions were a bit misleading.

Or that he (or really, they) had a bunch of requests for the other end of the spectrum.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 02, 2016 20:01 |  #5

I have, and use, both systems; his more recent post was spot on.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,459 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Mar 02, 2016 20:12 |  #6

Jon wrote in post #17921271 (external link)
I have, and use, both systems; his more recent post was spot on.

I have owned and used both systems and have been fully mirrorless for over a year... Both videos have some solid points, it's up to the individual shooter which system is better for them, hence why both videos exist. Much like they're focal length vs. videos and reasons to own X-focal length videos.

I don't see myself ever returning to DSLR, but it doesn't mean I don't recommend them to some people. I really don't understand the agenda some people have against mirrorless.

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
8,443 posts
Gallery: 1756 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 02, 2016 21:42 |  #7

Does mirrorless include bridge cameras in respect to the op's opening comment?

P.

Some stuff.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,891 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2016 23:53 |  #8

In the second video (the one that is more pro-mirrorless), he talks a lot about the smaller size and lighter weight of mirrorless cameras - as though it is an advantage.

Small size and light weight is quite a big disadvantage for some of us.
Cameras that are small (even the Rebel DSLRs) are awkward to hold in one's hand, and the hand actually starts getting cramps in it after holding the camera for a long time.
Also, a light camera just doesn't balance well with the big super-telephotos that some of us use. Weight is a real advantage when you have a 12 pound 400 f2.8 mounted and are trying to balance evenly on a gimbal head.

I certainly hope that as mirrorless cameras become more advanced, that they will make very good ones that are about the same size and the same weight as a current pro-series DSLR.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 03, 2016 08:26 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17921480 (external link)

In the second video (the one that is more pro-mirrorless), he talks a lot about the smaller size and lighter weight of mirrorless cameras - as though it is an advantage.

Cameras that are small (even the Rebel DSLRs) are awkward to hold in one's hand, and the hand actually starts getting cramps in it after holding the camera for a long time.
Also, a light camera just doesn't balance well with the big super-telephotos that some of us use. Weight is a real advantage when you have a 12 pound 400 f2.8 mounted and are trying to balance evenly on a gimbal head.

I certainly hope that as mirrorless cameras become more advanced, that they will make very good ones that are about the same size and the same weight as a current pro-series DSLR.

For me one of the biggest advantage of mirrorless is the ability to go small and light if you want. I'm traveling to Vietnam for a 3 week stint and I'll be carrying my camera everywhere with me. I used to carry my 5d2 and I could not carry that camera with lens on my wrist for a full day...never mind 3 weeks.

There are areas where mirrorless shine and other areas where they don't. As a photographer you need to determine what fits for you. But just because it doesn't fit your style does not mean mirrorless don't work for others. Personally I would never again take a DSLR while traveling when a lighter better option is available.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,459 posts
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 03, 2016 11:09 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #17921480 (external link)

Horses for courses....

Hogloff wrote in post #17921795 (external link)
For me one of the biggest advantage of mirrorless is the ability to go small and light if you want. I'm traveling to Vietnam for a 3 week stint and I'll be carrying my camera everywhere with me. I used to carry my 5d2 and I could not carry that camera with lens on my wrist for a full day...never mind 3 weeks.

There are areas where mirrorless shine and other areas where they don't. As a photographer you need to determine what fits for you. But just because it doesn't fit your style does not mean mirrorless don't work for others. Personally I would never again take a DSLR while traveling when a lighter better option is available.

This.

sponsored links

2,248 views & 5 likes for this thread
Reasons Not to Dump DSLRs for Mirrorless
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.