Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 04, 2016 20:18 |  #946

sploo wrote in post #17923673 (external link)
Thing is though, when the original 1Dx came out the message from Canon ambassadors was OMGSUPERAMAZINGNEVERMI​SSESMUCHBETTERTHANTHEO​LDCAMERA. Happens every time. When the 1Dx3 appears it'll be the same.

So... I don't quite buy the whole hype. Will it be better than its predecessor; sure. Will the next model be better still, sure.

Um, yea. Of course it's that way. When something new comes out it's new and improved. And of course it will be the best thing out there until the next model comes out later on down the road.

Sorry, but I don't really understand the point you were trying to make.

My Gear List

sponsored links
Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,889 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 04, 2016 21:08 |  #947

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17923652 (external link)
OMG, there it is, now I want one!
AF and work-ability look fantastic.

You can have one as long as you get it dirty :)

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

frankchn
458 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by frankchn. (2 edits in all)

Mar 05, 2016 01:50 |  #948

In other related news, the Samsung Galaxy S7 has a new Sony IMX260 "Dual Pixel" image sensor. More interestingly, the phone with the new sensor launched at basically the same time as the 1DX2, which apparently also features a brand new sensor where Canon has caught up in low-ISO dynamic range with Sony sensors.

I wonder if Canon entered into some agreement with Sony Imaging where they agreed to share Canon's dual pixel AF patents and Sony's on-chip ADC patents starting in 2016.

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 05, 2016 05:19 |  #949

johnf3f wrote in post #17923793 (external link)
My personal goal is to get the best quality still images of wildlife possible, which is why I buy idiotically expensive lenses and silly cameras. Yes I know it's stupid but it's what I enjoy:lol:

I suspect that getting the best quality still images of wildlife pretty much requires expensive lenses and cameras, so it's anything but daft. Unless that is, you happen to be the world's greatest ninja, and can creep up behind an ultra-rare animal in broad daylight without it noticing ;-)a

On that subject, I did once read a great anecdote from a photographer who was shooting wading birds; he'd crawled some obscene distance over mud to get himself closer to a flock, and now found himself right in the middle of a huge number of birds. Because he was on his stomach (and very slow) they hadn't identified him as a threat, and he was now stuck, because some of them were going to sleep around him.

Now me, I'd have had an overwhelming desire to jump up and shout "SURPRISE". But I'm a douche like that sometimes :mrgreen:

bps wrote in post #17923929 (external link)
Um, yea. Of course it's that way. When something new comes out it's new and improved. And of course it will be the best thing out there until the next model comes out later on down the road.

Sorry, but I don't really understand the point you were trying to make.

My point was to inject perspective, and call for people to not get carried away with the hype until independents have reviewed the camera. The post I quoted gave the context, surely?

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 05, 2016 05:27 |  #950

frankchn wrote in post #17924131 (external link)
In other related news, the Samsung Galaxy S7 has a new Sony IMX260 "Dual Pixel" image sensor. More interestingly, the phone with the new sensor launched at basically the same time as the 1DX2, which apparently also features a brand new sensor where Canon has caught up in low-ISO dynamic range with Sony sensors.

I wonder if Canon entered into some agreement with Sony Imaging where they agreed to share Canon's dual pixel AF patents and Sony's on-chip ADC patents starting in 2016.

No idea, but that's an interesting observation. I'd read about the "dual pixel" on the S7 but hadn't made that connection. I see that raw support is claimed too, so perhaps my old S5 needs upgrading!

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2016 11:33 |  #951

When I see stuff like that I wonder if they have equally capable industrial espionage divisions...

Call me a cynic. :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,671 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 05, 2016 12:08 |  #952

My S7 has the same sensor as 1Dx2! So there! :) lol.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

frankchn
458 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 05, 2016 13:41 |  #953

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17924473 (external link)
When I see stuff like that I wonder if they have equally capable industrial espionage divisions...

Call me a cynic. :)

Haha, that thought has crossed my mind as well. However if it is a patent circumvention or industrial espionage, Samsung would not have come right out and mentioned "Dual Pixel technology, which is utilized in selective, high-end DSLR camera models, as well as those of the Galaxy S7" in its official press release (external link) or used the term "Dual Pixel" in the first place, which might be a Canon trademark.

I am not sure if any potential patent exchange is with Sony or Samsung (or both!) though.

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 05, 2016 15:45 |  #954

Van Gogh wrote in post #17923850 (external link)
Well and I will be honest, I have always been fascinated by wildlife photography, just never really did it.

But will try to start it slowly.
Oh and the fact that expensive cameras and big white lenses are needed for that purpose make wildlife photography even more fun :-D

You are right to start slowly and then I would advise that you give it up quickly! You might end up like me!:-)
When reach and IQ are the goals then things rapidly get both expensive and heavy! Also huge amounts of patience are needed! If you look at my avatar then you can see the amount of junk that I carry about!
It is addictive though...............

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Mar 05, 2016 23:09 |  #955

johnf3f wrote in post #17924714 (external link)
You are right to start slowly and then I would advise that you give it up quickly! You might end up like me!:-)
When reach and IQ are the goals then things rapidly get both expensive and heavy! Also huge amounts of patience are needed! If you look at my avatar then you can see the amount of junk that I carry about!
It is addictive though...............

Oh I believe you, and oh I am really looking forward to emptying my wallet otherwise it is gonna burn a hole in my pocket  :p

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2016 06:23 |  #956

umphotography wrote in post #17923372 (external link)
here is the image. From a FB page so keep in mind the quality usually goes to crap through FB

this is Jeff ascough's photo with the 1Dx2 testers model at 25000 iso
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=179​23372&i=i242658360
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

noisy!

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2016 07:44 |  #957

umphotography wrote in post #17923662 (external link)
Yup

who would have thought they would get the AF this good. Everyone i talk to says it wont miss. Especially in low light. 25000 is just a bonus. DR is there and you can shoot for Highlights and push darks/shadows. Game changer

i hope the new 5dx is just a 1dxmk2 without a grip

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2016 07:46 |  #958

sploo wrote in post #17923673 (external link)
Thing is though, when the original 1Dx came out the message from Canon ambassadors was OMGSUPERAMAZINGNEVERMI​SSESMUCHBETTERTHANTHEO​LDCAMERA. Happens every time. When the 1Dx3 appears it'll be the same.

So... I don't quite buy the whole hype. Will it be better than its predecessor; sure. Will the next model be better still, sure.

i would not drop 6k on this camera based on hype. you need to rent it or give it a go yourself somehow and read real world reviews by early adpoters to make a decison

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,662 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by umphotography.

Mar 06, 2016 09:57 |  #959

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17925269 (external link)
noisy!

Thats jeffs look. I can say most of it was added. He is a B&W shooter and is know for these looks This was a processed file.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,662 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 06, 2016 10:39 |  #960

Bob Davis got his hands on a pre production 1Dx2. Take a look. Finally. here are some full size files

https://davisworkshops​.smugmug.com/Canon-EOS-1DXMarkII/ (external link)

and here is his FB page
https://www.facebook.c​om …avis?fref=ufi&p​nref=story (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

273,172 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.