Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 02 Mar 2016 (Wednesday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Greentoe - overhyped and be careful

pat.kane
693 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 03, 2016 20:13 |  #16

Amamba wrote in post #17922335 (external link)
And I am sure you also noticed the fact that this is the only testimonial / advertisement that gives the actual %s saved. If there were three ads giving the range of 7 to 30% that would be different. The fact is, there's only one ad that quantifies savings and it says 25-30%.

You have a valid complaint...

Amamba wrote in post #17922335 (external link)
Not that everyone else isn't doing this.

but it quickly falls apart because you've stated it is common practice, and because of that, most people just ignore these types of claims.

If the advertisement offends you so much, file a complaint:
https://www.ftc.gov …eting-internet-rules-road (external link)

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

sponsored links
Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 03, 2016 20:36 |  #17

pat.kane wrote in post #17922662 (external link)
You have a valid complaint...

but it quickly falls apart because you've stated it is common practice, and because of that, most people just ignore these types of claims.

If the advertisement offends you so much, file a complaint:
https://www.ftc.gov …eting-internet-rules-road (external link)

Not worth the trouble, really. And it doesn't really offend me any more than the Geico gecko.

As I said - I honestly admit that I didn't realize the possibility of revising the bid to zero. Which negates my main complaint - being locked into a bid you can't delete. The little advertising trick is not any worse than what many other companies are doing daily.

Ex-Canon shooter. Now Sony Nex.
Life Lessons: KISS. RTFM. Don't sweat the small stuff.
My Gear List (external link)

mileslong24
508 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 04, 2016 09:10 |  #18

I've saved that much on products more than once. Bought a Yamaha soundbar that retailed for 850 and got it for 660. Keep in mind that's tax and shipping included so in reality I prob saved nearly 300. I think a lot of people tend to forget that part.

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 04, 2016 09:59 |  #19

mileslong24 wrote in post #17923138 (external link)
I've saved that much on products more than once. Bought a Yamaha soundbar that retailed for 850 and got it for 660. Keep in mind that's tax and shipping included so in reality I prob saved nearly 300. I think a lot of people tend to forget that part.

That's correct. OTOH with Prime you don't pay shipping. Taxes are a complex issue. Michigan has absolutely the worst roads in the US and everyone is **** about this but people seem unable to understand the connection between the state tax revenue and the quality of services they receive. I personally don't figure in the sales tax when price shopping. After busting two tires in one winter before they finally got the funding to repave the roads around our subdivision, I know that I will pay for it one way or another. Used to think about this differently when I was in my 20s and no house / no kids.
The biggest thing is how much do you value the possibility of no-hassle returns and especially exchanges. A few years ago I bought a lens from a fairly reputable store in another state and the lens would randomly lose connection to my Canon T3i body. They told me to send the lens in, then a few days later sent me an email claiming it worked on a couple T3i bodies they had in store and basically accusing me of lying. I did get a refund - they knew they would lose a credit card dispute - but there was no way I'd get it exchanged with them. Later that year I found the same lens being sold by a POTN member and, lo and behold, no issues whatsoever.

So, there's a small price I'm willing to pay for the peace of mind and convenience. Saving 7-9% on a premium lens that costs a couple grand and doesn't have known sample variations is different than saving that same %ge on a relatively inexpensive lens that may have decentering or focusing issues. It's at least $10 to send it insured back to the vendor, plus the hassle.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 04, 2016 11:38 |  #20

How did this turn into a political forum???

LOL

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,666 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 04, 2016 15:11 as a reply to  @ mickeyb105's post |  #21

If you are talking about sales tax, there are only 2 sure things: death and taxes. Not really political, but rather a reality.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,537 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 04, 2016 18:56 |  #22

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17923582 (external link)
If you are talking about sales tax, there are only 2 sure things: death and taxes. Not really political, but rather a reality.

Taxes are political in nature, so we will have to agree to disagree.

I lived in NH for two years, where there is no sales tax, and the roads were better than they were in MI. As the OP said, MI roads are terrible (grew up in SE Michigan, myself) but perhaps the politicians should get blame instead of lack of taxes?

Greentoe should be treated like any other merchant--if you don't think they offer a good deal, don't give them business.

I saved 19.xx% on a Sigma 50 1.4 Art when nobody was offering that kind of a discount outside of the occasional grey market sale, and my story is hardly unique.

If the OP wants his "peace of mind", great. He can pay for that luxury and have less of a chance of having his psyche shaken and stirred.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 05, 2016 15:27 |  #23

Amamba wrote in post #17920973 (external link)
Their own website features "testimonials" from the customers who say they saved 25-30% off going market price.

So, I try the first product. Sony 35 /1.8 OSS. Lens sells on Amazon for $448 and quite often there are $398 sales. I figure 20% off $448 is $358, offer them $370. They emailed me that I am way too low and offered it for $419. A whopping 7% savings and most likely a return headache if there's any problem with decentering or what not.

Then I try another product. Sigma 19/2.8, currently on sale at B&H for $169. I offer $140. The reply - "we're overwhelmed at the time, please hang tight, will get back within 24 hours".

Here's the kicker... you can't delete your offer once posted. And you're under obligation to buy your item if your offer is accepted. So, now I have to wait for a day, and my offer is active for two more days, in the meantime the sale at B&H may end or they will run out of stock.

So, be careful and plan ahead... not saying it's a bad service - but know what you're getting into. Make sure you can wait the required 3 days and won't miss the window of opportunity with other vendors.

You should be aware that there are other options out there. :-) When we designed the "CPW street price" program, we made it more customer-centric than Greentoe's system:

1. Our prices are advertised up-front. Rather than making you play the bidding game, we simply show the best prices we can find. On average, it's about 10-12% off MAP for most Canon gear.
  2. No waiting game. Typically you'll get a reply from us within a couple hours, and you can often place the order that very day.
  3. There's no obligation to buy. When you're ready to purchase, we tell you who the store is. If you're happy with the store and their return policies, only then do you only provide payment info directly to them.

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,606 posts
Gallery: 516 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 05, 2016 16:11 |  #24

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17924710 (external link)
You should be aware that there are other options out there. :-) When we designed the "CPW street price" program, we made it more customer-centric than Greentoe's system:

1. Our prices are advertised up-front. Rather than making you play the bidding game, we simply show the best prices we can find. On average, it's about 10-12% off MAP for most Canon gear.
  2. No waiting game. Typically you'll get a reply from us within a couple hours, and you can often place the order that very day.
  3. There's no obligation to buy. When you're ready to purchase, we tell you who the store is. If you're happy with the store and their return policies, only then do you only provide payment info directly to them.

And if you don't shoot Canon?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

PhotoPrice
180 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 05, 2016 19:37 |  #25

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17924723 (external link)
And if you don't shoot Canon?

We focus solely on Canon. That's what we know best. Sorry!

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,606 posts
Gallery: 516 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Mar 05, 2016 19:57 |  #26

PhotoPrice wrote in post #17924915 (external link)
We focus solely on Canon. That's what we know best. Sorry!

Hence the advantage of greentoe

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,310 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 10, 2016 08:21 |  #27

I think many of the people here are being argumentative just to be argumentative. Personally, I found the OP's warnings to be of value. I have never used Greentoe, and never really investigated it, but the OP brought up a couple points that I would be uncomfortable with, so now I am better informed should I ever decide to try them in the future.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

GaryS1964
457 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by GaryS1964.

Mar 10, 2016 17:12 |  #28

I can't speak to current experience but I bought my Canon 5D3 from them for $2800 at a time when the price was $3495 and no Canon USA authorized dealer was discounting them. It came from an authorized Canon USA dealer and included the Canon USA warranty with no sales tax and free shipping.

Maybe things have changed but I was very happy with my purchase and when I'm dreaming I go there and check the price of "L" lenses I would like to have. There price is usually better than I can find elsewhere and close to Canon's refurbished lenses if you are lucky enough to find them in stock. You may not save 30% but on a high end item even 10% can add up to a couple of hundred dollars or more. I recommend them with the caveat that you should always check other sites first to see if you are actually going to save money. eBay prices are usually cheaper but that also usually means grey market items. Greentoe only deals with the retailers who are authorized dealers.

Bottom line if you want an item check online for the best deal you can find including taxes and shipping and then check Greentoe. If they can't save you money then don't buy from them. If it's an item you are going to purchase anyway and they only save you 10 bucks then buy from them and treat yourself to a drive-thru lunch with the savings.

Canon 5D Mk iii, Canon 7D, Tamron 70-300 Di VC, Tamron 150-600, Canon Nifty Fifty, Canon 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS, Canon 24-105 F/4 L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS ii, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS ii, Canon 430EX ii, YONGNUO RF-602 Wireless Remote Control

Amamba
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,679 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 10, 2016 22:47 |  #29

GaryS1964 wrote in post #17930885 (external link)
I can't speak to current experience but I bought my Canon 5D3 from them for $2800 at a time when the price was $3495 and no Canon USA authorized dealer was discounting them. It came from an authorized Canon USA dealer and included the Canon USA warranty with no sales tax and free shipping.

Maybe things have changed but I was very happy with my purchase and when I'm dreaming I go there and check the price of "L" lenses I would like to have. There price is usually better than I can find elsewhere and close to Canon's refurbished lenses if you are lucky enough to find them in stock. You may not save 30% but on a high end item even 10% can add up to a couple of hundred dollars or more. I recommend them with the caveat that you should always check other sites first to see if you are actually going to save money. eBay prices are usually cheaper but that also usually means grey market items. Greentoe only deals with the retailers who are authorized dealers.

Bottom line if you want an item check online for the best deal you can find including taxes and shipping and then check Greentoe. If they can't save you money then don't buy from them. If it's an item you are going to purchase anyway and they only save you 10 bucks then buy from them and treat yourself to a drive-thru lunch with the savings.

Well, this is a good approach. But my position is, having been nearly burned before, that there should be a good reason to not buy from the vendor who would work with me should I get a less than ideal copy of a lens. And by that I don't mean the hassle of returning it for a refund, wasting time and effort, and starting at square one.

I know that if I got a misbehaving lens from Amazon, they would exchange it without giving me any grief. B&H and Adorama can also be worked with. Any other store should give me some incentive to buy from them, and $30-40 on a $450 item doesn't seem enticing enough. Take the family out for a dinner on a Friday night and you'll spend double that.

Anyway, this is a non-issue.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,667 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Mar 11, 2016 00:22 |  #30

Amamba wrote in post #17931209 (external link)
I know that if I got a misbehaving lens from Amazon, they would exchange it without giving me any grief.

This can vary widely depending on the actual seller on Amazon. There are several times when I've had to spend days arguing with the seller and then Amazon to even get a refund.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

sponsored links

11,646 views & 26 likes for this thread
Greentoe - overhyped and be careful
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.