Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
Thread started 29 Feb 2016 (Monday) 17:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Favorite Point & Shoot for concerts

troutbreath
771 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 29, 2016 17:24 |  #1

Hello! Long time member ... long time away.

I have a habit of visiting music festivals in the Spring/Summer. Due to the camping conditions, I have been shy about breaking out a DSLR for these trips. Some summers the dust is just too much to bear, I cannot imagine what it would do to my camera.

So, with that in mind, I have a "tough" point & shoot. I went with the Olympus TG-2 when I last bought one. It will survive a tough weekend, has a 2.0 aperture. But, the zoom is lacking and it really seems to underperform in low light, even wide open. It has found its way into a few pools/oceans -- don't think I'm completely unsatisfied. I just want better shots at these festival shows.

What's your preferred P&S for such events?

Canon Digital Rebel XT, Canon 30D, Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8 L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM, Canon EF-S 10-22 USM, Canon EF-S 18-55mm, 430 EX Speedlite, 580 EXII Speedlight
Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO EX DG HSM, Sigma 1.4x APO TC
Canon Rebel S 35mm, Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO Macro

sponsored links
BushWacker
Goldmember
2,181 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 01, 2016 00:58 |  #2

I shoot a lot of festivals in Northern California and I haven't found a good one either. They are limited by the sensor size for low light and saturation so they might not ever get the job done right. Most better lenses have rubber seals and the camera sensor can be cleaned regularly. If you want the good shots I think you have to have the good equipment.

"When I shoot something I use a Canon!"
-------------- Gear List | flickr (external link) --------------

Nethawked
802 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 01, 2016 12:10 |  #3

I have the same bad habit. I got my start in concert photography by smuggling in DSLR & lenses into festivals, taking some good photos and being recognized. I will be at several this summer and fall in the mid-Atlantic region.

I agree, point & shoot isn't going to give you much satisfaction, especially if you're planning on zooming in on artists from the crowd. Among other hurdles, the bazillion smartphones held up recording the event will be a PITA, and digital zoom after a certain point really sucks. That said, this thread kind of blew me away, but I think she was close to the stage.

Nothing short of a high end DSLR that handles high ISO is going to give you acceptable results at night, but most of the top P&S should give you some satisfaction during the day as long as you understand the limitations. I'd take a look at some of the recent megazooms like Panasonic Lumix, Fuji Finepix, Sony, Canon or Nikon and choose based on your budget. I'd recommend some of the Fuji mirrorless but they're likely to be rejected during security check.

PNPhotography
805 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 01, 2016 17:32 |  #4

I have a Canon G15 that I use and it's not bad at all as long as it's not too dark.Good luck in your search.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

skifurthur
Goldmember
1,313 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 02, 2016 08:18 |  #5

I use the Olympus Stylus 1 as a backup/easy to carry camera. It is fairly clean up to ISO800 but I've gotten solid photos at ISO3200 with some careful NR and post. The thing that sold me on this camera was the 28-300mm constant f/2.8. As with any "tool" it takes some investigation and practice to understand all its strengths and weaknesses, but once you put in the time you will get results.

www.amsaddler.com (external link)
Capturing the passion of performance

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender

littlemt
131 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 03, 2016 17:27 |  #6

I just shot Big Sandy a few nights ago with my Sony Cyber Shot point and shoot. It fits in the palm of my hand, easy to 'sneak' in and has great IQ, in fact this Cyber Shot was so powerful I just bought its upgraded one with one of the best sensors made.

Clean ISO3200, I never use flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BushWacker
Goldmember
2,181 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 04, 2016 19:12 |  #7

Super quality, pretty amazing for such a small package...

littlemt
131 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Mar 06, 2016 03:25 |  #8

BushWacker wrote in post #17923863 (external link)
Super quality, pretty amazing for such a small package...

I love its black and white in camera files. It is so easy to carry this tiny camera.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

BushWacker
Goldmember
2,181 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 06, 2016 04:41 |  #9

Wow, I'm VERY impressed. I want one...

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 20, 2016 22:09 |  #10

EOS M with 22mm or better an Alpha 6000 sony with an old manual range finder (Large F) lens attached.

No PnS come even close, though these combinations looks a lot like one.

No one can say you didn't shoot the image by anything but a top of the line DSLR!

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

littlemt
131 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 28, 2016 19:16 |  #11

samsen wrote in post #17979132 (external link)
EOS M with 22mm or better an Alpha 6000 sony with an old manual range finder (Large F) lens attached.

No PnS come even close, though these combinations looks a lot like one.

No one can say you didn't shoot the image by anything but a top of the line DSLR!

I disagree, the IQ from the Sony Rx1 is far superior to the EOS and the Alpha 6000. But it isn't a fair fight considering the point and shoot Rx1 is using a full frame sensor.

BushWacker
Goldmember
2,181 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 03, 2016 14:19 |  #12

Seems to all boil down to sensor size no matter what the camera is...

BJWOK
Cream of the Crop
6,220 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 05, 2016 18:55 |  #13

The iPhone 7+ is pretty sweet for concerts.

My name is Benon (BJWOK are my initials) :)
www.bjwok.com (external link) <<-- NEW LIGHTROOM CC & LIGHTROOM CC CLASSIC PRESETS FOR MUSIC PHOTOGRAPHERS
Benon Koebsch - Photographer (external link) (Facebook)
Gives A Minute (external link) (YouTube channel)

sponsored links

4,379 views & 1 like for this thread
Favorite Point & Shoot for concerts
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.