Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 24 Feb 2016 (Wednesday) 08:39
Search threadPrev/next

" 50's Pin-up Style " ?

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 24, 2016 08:39 |  #1

I will follow up with more searching here...but what actually makes a photo fit in this genre? Is it a combination of make-up, dress, and post processing?

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Feb 24, 2016 15:14 |  #2

And pose along with props

hihosteverino
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 06, 2016 11:11 |  #3

IMO, The most you can do to make this Genre come alive is Mu & Hair. The victory curls are a real staple of Vintage Pinup. Everything else will just help enhance the genre. Wardrobe, Props, post work. BW or Color? George Hurrell did a lot of great BW work in the 40's/50's With fresnal lights. Classic Vintage Hollywood Glamour.

If I want to do a vintage theme (which I really don't do much anymore) I always looked at some books I bought, "The Great American Pin-up" Also, there is book on Glen Elvgren "Elvgren" a noted Pin-up artist of that era. They will not only give you great ideas, but poses as well. And the reason I personally try and make my images look illustrated/painted is because of those artists. Not that you asked, but I try and emulate Norman Rockwell's style. I highly recommend you develop your own style.

Few examples of what I'm talking about.

IMAGE: https://robertalvarado.smugmug.com/photos/i-R7PZsqP/0/O/i-R7PZsqP.jpg

IMAGE: https://robertalvarado.smugmug.com/photos/i-WgmRXFg/0/O/i-WgmRXFg.jpg

IMAGE: https://robertalvarado.smugmug.com/photos/i-j6MfXVL/0/O/i-j6MfXVL.jpg

50's style Pin-up (IMO) is fun and flirty. I try and have the model always look into the lens and flirt. Big smiles usually work well but the expressions really run the gamut depending on what concept you're shooting. In general, smiling works.

I used to add a circle behind almost every image I did. Another nod to the artists of that era.
And to pick this image a bit. So I got the hair, I got the "Cute" Factor (even an animal!) Threw in the circle, but the dress isn't really 50's, but hey, I like it anyway. And that's another thing, not sure what you want to do with your photography, but I've always just shot for myself. I'm like a big kid, I enjoy shooting and can't wait to edit. Really, I have a blast doing this. So as long as I'm having fun I'll keep doing it. I mention this as you may want to eventually do it professionally (by the way I don't consider myself a professional, really, I don't) So.... if you do consider getting paid, then you will want to do what pleases others (clients and such) and not necessarily you.

IMAGE: https://robertalvarado.smugmug.com/photos/i-24gmttQ/0/O/i-24gmttQ.jpg

Again, this is all just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

5D MkII and a 24-70L
Modelmayhem profile (external link)

CatchingUp
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,842 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 07, 2016 21:10 as a reply to  @ hihosteverino's post |  #4

Thanks for this. You were the first one to come to mind when I was approached. Thanks

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

Road ­ Dog
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Gallery: 292 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2014

Apr 01, 2016 09:05 |  #5

Following this thread.

My issue is that I can get the clothes and the girls and the cars and the puppies. What I have no idea how to do is the processing. The pin up shots like #4 above is the look we want to try to get.

A friend of mine recently asked me if I could shoot her in a "pin up" style. I'm not charging her, primarily because I suspect this will all end in carnage and tears, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any online tutorials for someone who's using PSE13...

Just shut up and smile...
My Current Line-Up

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,984 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Apr 02, 2016 12:41 |  #6

I look forward to some replies with post tips orv even presets for light room. I love the pin up look. Those examples in this thread were amazing by the way

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

3,991 views & 5 likes for this thread
" 50's Pin-up Style " ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.