Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,652 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 06, 2016 10:55 |  #961

Just read up. These are straight off Jpeg files with speedlights. Skin tones look yummy. Portrait people are gonna love this camera

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,994 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 06, 2016 11:23 |  #962

The birds look good at iso 4000/5000 that speed would be very handy giving this sort of IQ for wild life.

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,652 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 06, 2016 12:02 |  #963

The last shot of the drake hotel was at 8000 ISO at night. I dont see anything I would be concerned about in darks and shadows and the retention and detail looks fricken great

Canon is back in the game

Thanks Sony for kicking everyone in the BUTT. 1Dx2 and the D5 are going to push the boundaries. Cant wait.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 06, 2016 12:52 |  #964

Thanks Mike for posting a link to Bob Davis' pics -- much appreciated! Of course, we'll learn a lot more as time goes on, but I really like what I see so far! It's good to finally see some larger sized files.

Bryan

My Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 06, 2016 13:18 |  #965

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17921018 (external link)
Really enjoying all the talk about every possible future OES body NOT ; Tell me more about the 1DXii ....example to confirm for fastest buffer leave out the CF card, that even writing jpg to the CF will slow down the write to the CFast, correct ?

Hi MedicineMan,

Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you. I was out in the field spending some quality time with some birds and wildlife. (And in particular, a nice snowy owl that's been hanging out in our area!)

Here is some info that will help answer some of your questions:

If you set the camera to record simultaneously to both the CF Card and the CFast Card, the camera has to slow down to meet the maximum performance capability of the CF Card. However, with that being said, the buffer and processing speed of the Canon 1D X Mark II can write full-size JPEGs indefinitely to a UDMA 7 CF Card.

So, if you are writing JPEG to a UDMA 7 CF Card and you're writing RAW to a CFast 2.0 card, then you can take a burst of approximately 170 frames before the buffer would start to slow things down. In a different example, when writing RAW to both slots, then your maximum burst rate would be limited to what the UDMA 7 CF Card can handle, which is approximately 73 RAW images.

Here is what the buffer can handle, compliments of Rudy Winston from Canon USA: (Rudy is awesome BTW, one of the most helpful people around.)

Previous 1D X: approximately 35 RAW images (with UDMA 7 CF Card)
1D X Mark II: approximately 73 RAW images (with UDMA 7 CF Card)
1D X Mark II: approximately 170 RAW images (with CFast 2.0 Card)
1D X Mark II: unlimited JPEGs (with either a UDMA 7 CF Card or CFast 2.0 Card)

So, generally speaking, you can use the figures above to determine the capabilities you'll have based on how you choose to manage multiple cards on the Canon 1D X Mark II.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

My Gear List

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 06, 2016 13:24 |  #966

bps wrote in post #17925701 (external link)
Here is what the buffer can handle, compliments of Rudy Winston from Canon USA: (Rudy is awesome BTW, one of the most helpful people around.)

Previous 1D X: approximately 35 RAW images (with UDMA 7 CF Card)
1D X Mark II: approximately 73 RAW images (with UDMA 7 CF Card)
1D X Mark II: approximately 170 RAW images (with CFast 2.0 Card)
1D X Mark II: unlimited JPEGs (with either a UDMA 7 CF Card or CFast 2.0 Card)

Thank you Bryan!

In short, the 1Dx II has more than twice the buffer of the 1Dx.

I rarely top out my buffer on my 1Dx so I'm pretty confident that I'll be fine with the new model. :)

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,782 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 06, 2016 13:34 |  #967

now here comes the million doller question. is the 1d series overkill for a hobbiest ?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,928 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 06, 2016 13:37 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #968

Completely depends on your disposable income, like any other hobby.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,994 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 06, 2016 13:51 |  #969

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17925724 (external link)
Completely depends on your disposable income, like any other hobby.

Or how many expensive goody's you buy the wife SO you can spend Lots on said hobby without any grief :)

It really does work .

Rob

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 06, 2016 14:04 |  #970

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17925720 (external link)
now here comes the million doller question. is the 1d series overkill for a hobbiest ?

I have friends who like to fish and own boats and tons of gear. I have friends who like fast cars including my neighbor who races his Subaru several times month and the guy up the street who restores Datsuns. I have friends who fly and own planes.

All of them spend WAY more on their hobbies than I do on mine...

So, define overkill? ;-)a

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,652 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by umphotography.

Mar 06, 2016 14:22 |  #971

Its probably overkill for 95 % of the professional market, Including myself. So define the 95%. I could easily keep using my 5D3's. they are probably overkill for 85% of what we do now.

The newer technology makes things easier, allows you to do stuff you could not do in the past, and most of all, gives you better options to do what you do day in day out. Im all about working smarter, less obstacles to overcome, and being consistent with what I want to produce and how I sell what I do.....welcome to the upgrade club...thats what the newer cameras will do for you.

I remember the 5D2 v/s 5D3 debates.....No brainer to people that have to work day in day out. AF was everything on that update. Solved a ton of problems for many

I could still shoot with a 1Dmk111 classic and 40D combo for the majority of what I do. But I darn sure dont want to deal with all the BS I had to deal with in post and with lighting 7 yrs ago, when all i have to do now is use minor OCF lighting or a video light and take a picture, throw a preset at it and its done..........at 12800 ISO v/s 2000 ISO. Yes I remember all the crap we had to go through.....thats a thing of the past now

Thats what technology does and thats why working pros jump all over it....Gives me back my time to go out and play and have a life. Makes my job easier. Makes the images I produce better and quicker to obtain. I shoot a wedding with 3000 images on Saturday and I can deliver files on Monday night if i need to.....Thats what technology does and why a 1D series is totally worth it.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,670 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 06, 2016 14:24 |  #972

Actually, my guess is it's going to be more like an $8,000.00 question. ;)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by sploo.

Mar 06, 2016 15:33 |  #973

umphotography wrote in post #17925503 (external link)
Bob Davis got his hands on a pre production 1Dx2. Take a look. Finally. here are some full size files

https://davisworkshops​.smugmug.com/Canon-EOS-1DXMarkII/ (external link)

and here is his FB page
https://www.facebook.c​om …avis?fref=ufi&p​nref=story (external link)

Well that's impressive - I took the last shot (the Drake Hotel image with the car light trails) and pulled the shadows up hugely. No banding, and plenty of detail (especially considering it's from a JPEG not a raw).

It doesn't look as though you can download the images BTW, so I selected "Original" and just took a screen grab of a portion - that at least should mean I was working on a 1:1 image; as opposed to something that's been downsampled.

EDIT: The photo info claimed 20s at ISO 200 BTW, so a decent low ISO image for testing DR.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 06, 2016 15:50 |  #974

For giggles, I grabbed the ISO 8000 Drake hotel rooftop and pulled the shadows up +100 and pushed the exposure 2.5 stops.

I really like what I am seeing. :)

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,832 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tareq.

Mar 06, 2016 15:57 |  #975

It is late to talk about overkill or is it worthy to spend that much or whatever...... now i have expensive gear sitting and collecting dust and i can't find buyers, but honestly is the buyers are available but not the prices, they buy according to their prices and i want to sell according to my prices, so for how long i keep buying newer gear which are expensive and leave my old expensive gear dying?!!!

About this camera, it is reminding me about 1Ds3 over 1Ds2, or 1D4 over 1D3 or 5D3 over 5D4 or even 7D2 over 7D, this 1DX II definitely better than 1DX but what we can do with 1DX then, i am sure if i get 1DX II then i will hate 1DX because 1DX2 giving me something more, i will always find something in new gear better and more than old version, so it is like we will always put excuses about new gear, it is very clear: " " " I WANT THIS ITEM[GEAR] SO BADLY, BUT I DON'T HAVE THE BUDGET, THEN I DON'T NEED IT,...IT IS OVERKILL " " ", or: "I will wait to see the high ISO or 10k video or 65mp or light speed AF, if it is ok then i am SOLD", it is endless, UNFORTUNATELY.

Now, the only body i am looking for is something with higher than 20mp of 1 series or more than 36mp of Sony and a fast AF/fps[minimum 10] body, i really don't care about high high ISO can go because i didn't shoot in situations where i need ISO higher than 10000, and it will not happen suddenly after 10 years that i will need ISO10000 clean now.

Where i can sell my 1Ds2 and 1Ds3 and 1D3 and 5D classic? even i am willing to sell my Sony A7R, but you have no idea how much i wasted to buy those all brand new and i don't know how you can imagine at what price i must sell them, all are in quality conditions and with their original boxes, and at the end even if i sold them then how much i need to add to get something like 1Dx2 or 5D4 or 5Ds or D900 or Sony A8r.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

273,074 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.