Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,026 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 08, 2016 13:12 |  #1021

bps wrote in post #17928226 (external link)
Time to show a little love for the video shooters in the crowd! Check out this 3-min video for some real-world examples of what you can do with the Canon 1D X Mark II.

The Making of "FREEDOM":
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=xITQ6dLRLVI (external link)

Cheers,
Bryan

I just wet myself a little, the detail is exquisite.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 08, 2016 13:23 |  #1022

I would love to have such close access to a track.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-PQWrc9xOu0 (external link)

Another 4K video
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=S5Cbfp5gFg8 (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 08, 2016 13:41 |  #1023

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17928286 (external link)

Another 4K video

Love it! Keep em' coming folks!

Bryan

My Gear List

sploo
premature adulation
2,382 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 08, 2016 16:37 |  #1024

I'm fairly certain that lying on the track is somewhat frowned upon during race day ;-)a

(though being serious, if you can get to the Goodwood Festival of Speed you can get very close to some very nice machinery)

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,289 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 08, 2016 18:34 |  #1025

Another 4K video

If the dirt isnt flying over your head then your not close enough  :p this guy was in the bleachers:twisted:

My son and Ivan Tedesco

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 08, 2016 19:27 |  #1026

Fantastic photographs Mike!!

Bryan

My Gear List

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 08, 2016 22:31 |  #1027

Played with one. It's definitely quieter than the 1DX Mark I. Tried it, the D500 and D5, the XPro-2, and the A6300. Liking the 1DX Mark II, the D5 and D500 the most over the mirrorless options, tbh. Will try out some more cameras tomorrow with some extended loaners.

1DX Mark II 1080p in 120fps is only internal, fyi. Uncompressed HDMI out only goes to 60 fps at 1080p for those who were wondering.

Fun stuff.

1DXII(2) | 5D4 | D850 | 8-800mm

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,768 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 09, 2016 06:26 |  #1028

idkdc wrote in post #17928798 (external link)
Played with one. It's definitely quieter than the 1DX Mark I. Tried it, the D500 and D5, the XPro-2, and the A6300. Liking the 1DX Mark II, the D5 and D500 the most over the mirrorless options, tbh. Will try out some more cameras tomorrow with some extended loaners.

1DX Mark II 1080p in 120fps is only internal, fyi. Uncompressed HDMI out only goes to 60 fps at 1080p for those who were wondering.

Fun stuff.

You cant really compare those pro full size gripped DSLR to a mirrorless as they are apple and oranges.

Until we see a mirrorless 1dx/d5 type camera, its unfair to compare

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 09, 2016 06:27 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #1029

He's not comparing them as equal replacements, he just tested several bodies, and stated how he seemed to like the DSLR design over mirrorless design for his own personal use.

It would be like somebody that went out to test lawn mowers, some walk-behind push mowers and some zero-turn mowers, only to find out they really didn't like the walk-behind versions that much. They are not comparing them as equals, but rather deciding which style suits them best, if they had to choose between different methods of manicuring the lawn.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,768 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 09, 2016 06:29 |  #1030

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17929023 (external link)
He's not comparing them, he just tested several bodies, and stated how he seemed to like the DSLR design over mirrorless design for his own personal use.

But thats comparing them. He tested/compared both and prefered DSLR's.

i said it is unfair to do so because its apple and oranges.

If i am after a fast action camera, why would i look at any mirrorless camera when none does the job?

compare/test the d5 and 1dx. thats more reasonable. But a 1dx vs a A6300?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2016 06:31 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #1031

How is it unfair that he decides he likes DSLR style over mirrorless? He tried both kinds and LIKES one kind over the other. That isn't unfair at all. He wasn't trying to make a point on which is better than which for the general populace, but rather what he likes and would use, IE. his opinion for his own use.... not yours or mine.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,768 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 09, 2016 06:52 |  #1032

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17929025 (external link)
How is it unfair that he decides he likes DSLR style over mirrorless? He tried both kinds and LIKES one kind over the other. That isn't unfair at all. He wasn't trying to make a point on which is better than which for the general populace, but rather what he likes and would use, IE. his opinion for his own use.... not yours or mine.

Your the one who said he did not compare when looking at what you just wrote, he did and i just said its unfair to compare a mirrorless and dslr for sport IMO. again MY OPINION.

i have already stated why its unfair due to the most simple fact that there is no 1dx mirrorless equivalent...

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,892 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 09, 2016 07:19 |  #1033

It's only unfair if you for some reason would like the mirrorless to win. Otherwise it's an evaluation to see what does the job, and in this case the DSLR was found to do it better. Reading your comments, I think that result was obvious to you before he even started, but it may not be to everyone. Myself, I do have a 1DX, but I can admit I'm not that well up to speed on exactly what a mirrorless can do today. And what it can't. So not an unfair comparison, but a good piece of information for some of us.

Anders

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,524 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (8 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2016 07:30 |  #1034

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17929035 (external link)
Your the one who said he did not compare when looking at what you just wrote, he did and i just said its unfair to compare a mirrorless and dslr for sport IMO. again MY OPINION.

i have already stated why its unfair due to the most simple fact that there is no 1dx mirrorless equivalent...

Bob: I think I want to add TV viewing in my basement. So I looked at TVs and projectors. I decided a projector was better.

Johnny: That isn't an apples to apples comparison, each one is vastly different in what they offer and how you use them. You cannot compare televisions to projectors.

Bob: For what I watch, and how I have my setup, the projector is better.

Johnny: That is simply an unfair assessment. For playing video games, TVs are just better.

Bob: Who said anything about looking at this system just for playing video games? I know what I watch, I know my own setup, and I know my needs. The projector will work better for me.

Johnny: Well, IMO you are just not really making a good comparison or analysis of the 2. Until they make a projector that has the contrasts, refresh rates, doesn't need bulbs after 3000 viewing hours, and smart app support of a television, you cannot compare them.

I am pretty sure Bob knows what he wants here, and which setup will work best. I am also sure Bob isn't telling the masses that these are equal and the projector is just better when you compare capabilities/features. For his room and his use and his desires, the projector fits his space and needs better. ;)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,739 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by David Arbogast. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2016 07:43 |  #1035

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17929021 (external link)
You cant really compare those pro full size gripped DSLR to a mirrorless as they are apple and oranges.

Until we see a mirrorless 1dx/d5 type camera, its unfair to compare

But, he also said he preferred the D500 to the 6300. That IS an apples/apples comparison. Nikon and Sony's top aps-c sensor fast-shooting cameras. And, regardless, I see nothing wrong with stating a preference for a DSLR body over the available mirrorless options. :)

It would be nice, though, to see a larger Sony FF mirorless option. Since it is clear that mirrorless does not enjoy any size advantage over DSLR with lenses, why not go ahead and make a bigger body to be more proportionally sized?

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

sponsored links

260,716 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.