Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 09, 2016 08:13 |  #1036

apersson850 wrote in post #17929056 (external link)
It's only unfair if you for some reason would like the mirrorless to win. Otherwise it's an evaluation to see what does the job, and in this case the DSLR was found to do it better. Reading your comments, I think that result was obvious to you before he even started, but it may not be to everyone. Myself, I do have a 1DX, but I can admit I'm not that well up to speed on exactly what a mirrorless can do today. And what it can't. So not an unfair comparison, but a good piece of information for some of us.

but teamspeed said he wasnt making a comparison. you and i both know he was.. That is most of what this debate between me and teamspeed is about.

he thinks there was no comparision, just a test?? but there is a comparison that was made

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,670 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 09, 2016 08:14 as a reply to  @ post 17929083 |  #1037

Exactly. I have held many cameras, and something like the 7D2/5D3 fits my hand nearly perfectly. Even the SL1, which has a larger body than many of the mirrorless, is uncomfortable to use for me, I have to be a contortionist to use it. When you shoot around people milling around carelessly, you want to have a very good grip on your camera gear. One more reason I love hand straps, both for easing hand fatigue with long lenses, and for security.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,670 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 09, 2016 08:17 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #1038

You completely missed my point. The comparison was made to style and form of camera (ergonomics, size, etc), not features. That is a fair assessment. Comparing feature and performance is a different type of comparison, and that was not the intent of that reply from what I can tell.

Let's just agree to disagree, it was his assessment for his own opinion, and it cannot be called unfair since he figured out what was best for him.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 09, 2016 08:17 |  #1039

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17929073 (external link)
Bob: I think I want to add TV viewing in my basement. So I looked at TVs and projectors. I decided a projector was better.

Johnny: That isn't an apples to apples comparison, each one is vastly different in what they offer and how you use them. You cannot compare televisions to projectors.

Bob: For what I watch, and how I have my setup, the projector is better.

Johnny: That is simply an unfair assessment. For playing video games, TVs are just better.

Bob: Who said anything about looking at this system just for playing video games? I know what I watch, I know my own setup, and I know my needs. The projector will work better for me.

Johnny: Well, IMO you are just not really making a good comparison or analysis of the 2. Until they make a projector that has the contrasts, refresh rates, doesn't need bulbs after 3000 viewing hours, and smart app support of a television, you cannot compare them.

I am pretty sure Bob knows what he wants here, and which setup will work best. I am also sure Bob isn't telling the masses that these are equal and the projector is just better when you compare capabilities/features. For his room and his use and his desires, the projector fits his space and needs better. ;)

There is no point going further because you stated clearly that the bloke wasn't comparing yet now you are changing your tune.

I stand by what i said, its unfair to compare mirrorless to dslr for sports action photography and that is my opinion, not factual and there hasnt been no indication by you or others that make me change my mind.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,670 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2016 08:19 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #1040

You quoted me at the same time as I had changed my reply a bit to clarify. You are still hung up on the very original reply. This was the changed text just as you submitted your reply to me back then. Perhaps you missed the clarification edit.

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17929023 (external link)
He's not comparing them as equal replacements, he just tested several bodies, and stated how he seemed to like the DSLR design over mirrorless design for his own personal use.

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 09, 2016 08:20 |  #1041

David Arbogast wrote in post #17929083 (external link)
But, he also said he preferred the D500 to the 6300. That IS an apples/apples comparison. Nikon and Sony's top aps-c sensor fast-shooting cameras. And, regardless, I see nothing wrong with stating a preference for a DSLR body over the available mirrorless options. :)

It would be nice, though, to see a larger Sony FF mirorless option. Since it is clear that mirrorless does not enjoy any size advantage over DSLR with lenses, why not go ahead and make a bigger body to be more proportionally sized?

Mirrorless are smaller and slower and not as robust as a dslr for sports and there is no tele lenses above 200mm to support any mirrorlesss setup for IQ and AF.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by mwsilver.

Mar 09, 2016 08:21 |  #1042

Sorry guys, but this argument over semantics is going nowhere and has the potential of getting testy and unpleasant.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,670 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (3 edits in all)

Mar 09, 2016 08:23 as a reply to  @ mwsilver's post |  #1043

Bah, neither of us will get ugly, and my editted clarification on the reply that ruffled feathers should be sufficient. :)

Now, make insults about my dog, and we might have a fight. :lol:

Once we get a full frame sensor of the 1DX2 on a phone, then it's the end of the world as we know it. Mirrorless, and portable, and always accessible... Speaking of that, I wonder how the Light camera (external link) is doing?

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,778 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 09, 2016 08:43 |  #1044

Ok fair enough teamspeed i did not read your edited post.

Anyways back on topic.

I may be attending the photography show hosted in birmingham England and i think they may have a 1dxmk2 to play with

buddy4344
Goldmember
1,532 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by buddy4344.

Mar 09, 2016 09:10 |  #1045

From Andy Rouse on Facebook this morning: I took many pics on this trek (FotoBuzzers your daily fiary will be up tonight) but these are two of my favourites. Feet I hear you say?? Take a careful look. Then look at your feet and hands. Are they so different? Look at the nails, the joints. I have more hair on mine yes but they look so similar. So everytime you wonder about why we should spend money and effort conserving the great apes, remember these shots. Because they aren't just great apes, they are our natural cousins. Think on that one for a while.
Canon 1DX2 Update - been using the silent motordrive a lot, it's much better than the 1DX. Not sure of speed, would say 5-6 fps, but the other day for a test I kept my finger on the shutter and kept shooting until the buffer locked out. I kept on for 250 shots then got bored and gave up as it hadn't locked out! Ok so on full drive it will fill up quicker but still very impressive. Oh one other thing I fund with DPP is that at high ISO the noise profiles are too aggressive so I have been turning them down a couple of clicks. These images here are shot at ISO 12,600, ridiculous detail. Last thing to say, when I compare these images to my 1DX images shot at the same time, they are like two different cameras. The white balance of the 1DX2 seems more natural and the way I can brighten the shadows without noise is fabulous still. More soon but it's nailing it here.

Photos are now back up on FB. I know they are small and they are just FB grabs, but ....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Buddy4344

Gear: Canon 1Dx MkII, 7D MkII, Canon Lenses: 100 macro, 100-400 Ver.IIL IS, 24-105L IS, Canon 17-40, Canon 1.4x TCon, Rokinon 14mm. Kenko extension tubes, Kenko 1.4x pro TCon.and Kiboko 30L and 22L+

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,509 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Mar 09, 2016 16:42 |  #1046

buddy4344 wrote in post #17929161 (external link)
... remember these shots. Because they aren't just great apes, they are our natural cousins. Think on that one for a while.

Hear hear!
My last full scale gallery exhibit, which featured photos I took while in Africa was dominated by the largest print in the center of the gallery of a Baboon, entitled

"For He is Thy Brother",..

...which comes straight from the Bible quote, Deuteronomy 23:7

"Thou shalt not abhor an Edomite; for he is thy brother:"

The Edomite of course being a tribe descendant from Esau, whom Jacob (my Name sake) once opined to his mother, “Behold, my brother Esau is a hairy man, but I am a smooth man." Esau's descendants were known for their particular "hairiness"

I won't get into what I take of that quote as I don't want to trigger a religious interpretation debate, but let's just say those authors knew a lot more about the nature of things than we often give them credit.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Mar 09, 2016 17:15 |  #1047

buddy4344 wrote in post #17929161 (external link)
Because they aren't just great apes, they are our natural cousins.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by buddy4344 in
./showthread.php?p=179​29161&i=i219654262
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

That seriously looks like a human hand.

My personal attitude has changed tremendously over the last few years about 'animals'. I have come to the point where I believe there is little to no meaningful difference between any animal and a human.

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

jcothron
Goldmember
2,844 posts
Gallery: 314 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 09, 2016 17:21 |  #1048

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17929655 (external link)
That seriously looks like a human hand.

My personal attitude has changed tremendously over the last few years about 'animals'. I have come to the point where I believe there is little to no meaningful difference between any animal and a human.

For the most part, animals act more human :) Kidding, but at least their behavior is predictable more often.

John
Gear List|My Flickr (external link)|Website (external link)|
Instagram (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,001 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 09, 2016 17:22 as a reply to  @ wallstreetoneil's post |  #1049

Unfortunately the big difference is that directly or indirectly we are killing them! We have the most advanced (?) brains and we have used them to dominate this planet at the expense of other species.
Don't get me wrong I am not a blinkered tree hugger but we (humans) have gone too far and are only now starting to question our actions. Let's hope it's not too late.............

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,331 posts
Gallery: 1734 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 09, 2016 18:39 as a reply to  @ jonneymendoza's post |  #1050

No tele above 200mm ????
No big deal but this shot taken this weekend by my she-boss with a 300mm Olympus-

https://www.flickr.com …5239057209/in/d​ateposted/ (external link)

And next week even 300mm will be surpassed when the Leica 100-400mm is released for
the Lumix system cameras.

Believe me I know all too well the limitations of mirrorless having seven bodies within arms
reach, but I also know the positives as well. I'm just glad I get to enjoy mirrorless and DSLR.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links

268,754 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.