Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 Mar 2016 (Wednesday) 18:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron SP 150-600

FoxShots
31 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 09, 2016 18:31 |  #1

I shoot a lot of Little League Baseball and I am considering purchasing the Tamron SP 150-600. I was looking for some feed back on the lens.

Pro's , Con's?

Thanks in advance!!

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,088 posts
Gallery: 1546 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 09, 2016 23:38 |  #2

FoxShots wrote in post #17929744 (external link)
I shoot a lot of Little League Baseball and I am considering purchasing the Tamron SP 150-600. I was looking for some feed back on the lens.

Pro's , Con's?

Thanks in advance!!

Heya,

Full frame or APS-C or APS-H?

I actually think the Tamron is too long honestly for little league because you're able to be at the sidelines, while at a proleague game, you're in the stands and that's where 600mm really comes in handy. Granted, you can of course use the lens fine at 150~300mm probably all day (on APS-C) for little league. And go for really tight shots at 300~600mm on it, or strictly outfield stuff. But sideline, 3~4 foot bodies standing at the bases, 600mm will actually fill the frame, and way over fill on the bases close to you and home plate, mound, etc.

The Tamron will do fine since you will be shooting in daylight most likely since it's little league and you won't need super fast shutter speeds to stop their action, as they don't move that fast or throw the ball that fast yet.

Depends on the look you want.
Also depends if you're doing it hand held.
And depends on budget.

Personally I would rather have a 120-300 F2.8, but depends on budget.

Also, the Tamron has competition in the Sigma C version, basically same price. Worth looking into.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,598 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 10, 2016 03:45 |  #3

The Sigma beats the Tamron by a long shot regards features. Good for you in use and good for resale.
Optically they seem close enough that there is probably more difference in individual lenses compared to brand.

The reason to buy Tamron is it's around a year ago and Sigma has not been released yet. Today, the Tammy would have to be a whole lot cheaper.

Dave
Image editing OK

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 10, 2016 07:06 |  #4

Here's another vote for the Sigma C over the Tamron. The IQ on my Sigma C is probably a little better than on the Tamron I rented, for static shots. I got caught out with the VC problems on the Tamron, as I need to shoot hand held, while panning at low shutter speeds, 1/160 or less and at 600mm with heavy crops too. The VC was fine with static subjects though, and is now supposed to be fixed with a firmware update. Get the Sigma dock, and as well as being able to do the 16 point MFA in the lens you also get a lot more control over both the AF and OS performance. There is a Sigma firmware update due tomorrow that is supposed to improve the AF performance even more. Here in the UK the Sigma C is virtually the same price as the Tamron, which makes things very hard for Tamron IMO. If you need 400mm or more of focal length on a budget then I don't think anything comes close to the Sigma 150-600 C. You almost have to double the price to get to anything better.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

FoxShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 10, 2016 11:17 |  #5

Thanks, Everyone for the feed back. I will take a look at the Sigma.

vsocks
172 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Mar 10, 2016 21:28 |  #6

I have one of the early Tamron's. Finally sent it in for warranty service so have them look at it - good pictures but keeper rate was lower than I liked due to focus. I assume they did a firmware update. What they wrote on repair order was check and adjust focus & image quality. Disassemble and clean entire lens. Shipped it back out in 3 business days.
Whatever they did was superb - in limited pictures a much different lens with better focus!

Just wanted to report this since some are not high on Tamron and I thought mine was just ok. Now I think I am going to like it much better!

Canon 6D, 70D, Rokinon 14mm, 17-40 F4L, Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.4 T* ZE, 50 f1.8, 85 f/1.8, Canon 24-105 F/4L, 70-200 2.8L IS II, Tamron 150-600 VC, Speedlight 430EX II, 12mm Extension Tube, Canon 1.4X & 2.0X iii Converters

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by ebiggs.

Mar 11, 2016 12:24 |  #7

FoxShots wrote in post #17930527 (external link)
Thanks, Everyone for the feed back. I will take a look at the Sigma.

I have both the Tamron and the Sigma C. Plus I have the S, also. I am going to sell the Siggy C. Not because it isn't as good, better or worse but because I just got the Siggy S.

I consider the Sigma C and the Tamron a "your choice" situation. The IQ is nearly identical. If it is any concern for you the Tamron is better weather sealed than the Sigma C. That might be a decision maker. Both are mostly plastic. Neither come close to the sealing and ruggedness of the S. The Siggy S is mostly all metal. Even the hood! The S is better IQ than both of them too but it weighs a ton.

I think and do use the 150-600mm for most sports I shoot. Football and baseball. I doubt even in little league they will allow you on the side lines. You will still be back behind the fence or close to where the bleachers are.
They don't around here any way. If you want an outfielder the 600mm is nice and if you want first base 150mm is a go.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

pknight
Goldmember
2,655 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 12, 2016 20:58 |  #8

Like vsocks, I have the Tamron 150-600, and I purchased it early on, when the Sigmas were not yet in existence. Also like vsocks, I sent it in for the firmware upgrade to address AF issues. I have no complaints at all about this lens since getting it back.

However, as an owner of the Sigma USB Dock (used with my 30mm Art), I have wished that I could adjust settings on the Tamron the way you can on the Sigmas. I did some checking and found that (a) at current prices at B&H, (b) what used Tamron 150-600s can be sold for, and (c) a rewards credit I have at B&H, I could switch to the Sigma Contemporary at very little cost. Although I have several Tamron lenses, and I like the ones I have, I am not blindly loyal, and would switch if there was a good reason to do so.

Before doing that, however, I went online to read reviews on various sites that I trust. Since the Tamron was around when the Sigmas were released, many of these had comparisons with the Tamron. Generally, the bottom line conclusions were that it was a toss-up, more-or-less. However, one finding reported more than once was that the AF was more reliable on the Tamron. Canon Rumors' review has a video by Dustin Abbott in which the Sigma had difficulties acquiring focus on a static target at 600 mm, and sometimes would take OOF shots despite focus not being achieved (http://www.canonrumors​.com …m-f5-6-3-os-contemporary/ (external link)). In the same review, Abbott compared the Sigma to a Tamron that had received the AF firmware update (rather than comparing the Sigma to earlier results with the Tamron without the update), and found that the Tamron was more reliable in AI-Servo mode than the Sigma. Specifically, he found that, with the Sigma, if focus was not locked on the first image in an AI-Servo series it would never attain focus.

Of course, these are just a sample of many reviews, and perhaps firmware updates for the Sigma will improve its performance, to the extent that these findings are typical. However, my conclusion was that there was little to gain by switching lenses, and I will be using my B&H credit on something else.

Digital EOS 7D Mark II Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

FoxShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
31 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 16, 2016 14:51 |  #9

Thanks again to everyone!

sponsored links

2,754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron SP 150-600
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.