Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,671 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Mar 13, 2016 13:21 |  #1141

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17933913 (external link)
I contacted RRS the day after I got my pre-order in. Jim said that he expects there to be a new plate with pre-orders available "soon" and that, in a pinch, a flat generic plate like MPR-73 will at least get it mounted.

I haven't seen pre-orders yet. The RRS website is currently misbehaving for me...

Would the 1Dx flat plates work?

1D3, 1Ds3, and 1D4 flat plates are all interchangeable. (heck L plates for 1D3 and 1D4 might be too, but with the L plates the side connectors can be a problem even if the physical body size and shape don't change) To a certain degree, 7D2 and 5D3 flat plates can be swapped as well. I've got a Markins 5D3 flat plate on my 7D2 now.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 13, 2016 14:07 |  #1142

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17933930 (external link)

1D3, 1Ds3, and 1D4 flat plates are all interchangeable. (heck L plates for 1D3 and 1D4 might be too, but with the L plates the side connectors can be a problem even if the physical body size and shape don't change) To a certain degree, 7D2 and 5D3 flat plates can be swapped as well. I've got a Markins 5D3 flat plate on my 7D2 now.

The short answer is that I don't know... :rolleyes:

By flat plate do you mean the bottom plate versus the L-Plate? If so, I can only guess since I haven't touched a 1DxII yet. I think they'll be close and may well work. Heck, the whole L-Plate may work, but it's just as likely that there are subtle differences in the body shape that'll make it just a bit off.

I've read, for instance, that the 1DxII grip is deeper and that may result in a modified profile on the bottom and side.

I wouldn't want to use an older plate if that's the case as it may put undue pressure on the camera by not fitting right.

If you're talking about a generic flat plate (basically a screw in Arca-Swiss adapter) then I think those will work across the board. If RRS fixes their technical difficulties soon I'm going to order one or two of those just to have 'em around for those cameras that don't have Arca-Swiss mounts.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,662 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 13, 2016 15:17 |  #1143

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #17933930 (external link)

Yeah I was looking today and had the same problem. Im looking for some type of protective plate as well. I sit mine down all the time on the ground. Looks like L plate is only thing available that makes sense. Dont really want a bracket but for $75.00 more you get a boomerang bracket from pro media gear. Not sure which way to go

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 13, 2016 17:07 |  #1144

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17933913 (external link)
I contacted RRS the day after I got my pre-order in. Jim said that he expects there to be a new plate with pre-orders available "soon" and that, in a pinch, a flat generic plate like MPR-73 will at least get it mounted.

I haven't seen pre-orders yet. The RRS website is currently misbehaving for me...

Thanks Eric! I appreciate the update.

Their website has been down for several days now, so I'm going to give them a call on the telephone on Monday to see if they are accepting pre-orders yet. I'll provide an update as soon as I hear more.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,783 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 14, 2016 05:28 |  #1145

David Arbogast wrote in post #17932664 (external link)
I was joking. Everyone else here took it the right way. ;)

My gear is near-optimal for what I shoot, so of course I'm not going there. But, that doesn't mean I can't express my admiration for the 1DX II does it?

Let's have a little fun here, OK? Too frequently you seem prone to taking an argumentatively reactive response to things. It hindered you from seeing my post in the right light. :)

Na my reply was also a bit of fun. i was only kidding too bro!

Yes you have some nice pics but mines are better ;)

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,918 posts
Gallery: 1798 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 14, 2016 05:51 |  #1146

BPS thanks for the manual download link.
I just did a perusal over the last hour and a half, very reminiscent of
the 7Dii, kissing cousins I believe.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,276 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 14, 2016 05:56 |  #1147

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17934723 (external link)
Yes you have some nice pics but mines are better ;)

Hope that last sentence was in jest as well...I never made a claim about my pics being nice or better than anyone else's; I never even joke about that.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,586 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Mar 14, 2016 05:59 |  #1148

for those worried about the battery price, did you see that the wireless transmitter is $600 USD?

WOW.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 14, 2016 08:22 |  #1149

David Arbogast wrote in post #17934735 (external link)
...I never made a claim about my pics being nice or better than anyone else's; I never even joke about that.

That's because you have class.

I'm going to ignore the other guy now. It seems like he is just out to provoke people.

My Gear List

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,946 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 14, 2016 08:28 |  #1150

I am about 90% sure he won't ever have one either? Might be a good idea to add to the list for a while anyways. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 14, 2016 08:32 |  #1151

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17934737 (external link)
for those worried about the battery price, did you see that the wireless transmitter is $600 USD?

WOW.

Yea, that's priced really high. But the worst one of all is the battery charger, which is discounted to $399 at B&H and Adorama. (If you buy it from Canon, they want $540.)

$400-$540 for a battery charger? Really?

I don't care if I just spent $6K on an (awesome) camera body, the accessory pricing is downright price gouging! If Canon were to sell their accessories for a more reasonable price, I bet they would sell more and make a bigger profit in the end.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 14, 2016 09:59 |  #1152

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17934737 (external link)

WOW.

bps wrote in post #17934816 (external link)
Yea, that's priced really high. But the worst one of all is the battery charger, which is discounted to $399 at B&H and Adorama. (If you buy it from Canon, they want $540.)

$400-$540 for a battery charger? Really?

I don't care if I just spent $6K on an (awesome) camera body, the accessory pricing is downright price gouging! If Canon were to sell their accessories for a more reasonable price, I bet they would sell more and make a bigger profit in the end.

Cheers,
Bryan

The wireless transmitter is 5ghz professional grade wireless ac for transferring raw files. Until there's a cheap fast alternative elsewhere, I see no reason to complain about this. The previous 1D and concurrent D5 transmitters cost this much, and eyefi and camranger are incredibly slow. I'll probably buy the transmitter eventually for studio workflows.

I'd rather have a $600 fast transmitter than a $300 slow one.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 14, 2016 10:33 |  #1153

bps wrote in post #17934191 (external link)
Their website has been down for several days now, so I'm going to give them a call on the telephone on Monday to see if they are accepting pre-orders yet. I'll provide an update as soon as I hear more.

I just got off the phone. I ordered the MPR-73 just so I have something for my older bodies and, if needed, the 1DxII when it arrives.

They haven't yet opened pre-orders on the 1DxII plate.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,586 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Mar 14, 2016 10:35 |  #1154

idkdc wrote in post #17934885 (external link)
The wireless transmitter is 5ghz professional grade wireless ac for transferring raw files. Until there's a cheap fast alternative elsewhere, I see no reason to complain about this. The previous 1D and concurrent D5 transmitters cost this much, and eyefi and camranger are incredibly slow. I'll probably buy the transmitter eventually for studio workflows.

I'd rather have a $600 fast transmitter than a $300 slow one.

not really a complaint, just an observation. The likelyhood of me ever owning a 1D X MkII is very close to zero, but it is surprising that the transmitter costs so much, there are plenty of wifi devices that operate on the 5ghz band and are a hundred bucks or less.

My 6D, while obviously on a whole 'nother level, is 2.4ghz but still supports the newer 802.11x transfer standards, which is what determines speed, not the ghz.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc. (5 edits in all)

Mar 14, 2016 11:00 |  #1155

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17934926 (external link)
not really a complaint, just an observation. The likelyhood of me ever owning a 1D X MkII is very close to zero, but it is surprising that the transmitter costs so much, there are plenty of wifi devices that operate on the 5ghz band and are a hundred bucks or less.

My 6D, while obviously on a whole 'nother level, is 2.4ghz but still supports the newer 802.11x transfer standards, which is what determines speed, not the ghz.

It costs that much because there is no competitive alternative for that specific purpose. Look at every other wireless camera solution for every brand out there and they're all slow as mollases until you get into the $$$$ high end drone live view remotes. Until then, you might want to incorporate this into your observation. My 6D sucks for wireless tethering, as do my friends' A7 cameras as well; all of them require some form of jpeg for usable tether speeds to my knowledge. 5ghz just means less interference, in effect faster speeds because of less interference from other 2.4 Ghz devices saturating the air. If the 6D is 802.11ac, it sure doesn't act like it. Transfer speeds are slow even on JPEG, unless there's some setting I'm missing somewhere.

Basically, you're not paying for the cost of components, but rather the implementation. If no competing implementations are ever truly on par for speed, there exists no reason to lower the price of the item. Those who truly need RAW wireless tethering will have to pay the asking price until competition exists.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

sponsored links

273,170 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.