Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 01 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting tired of getting Canon 24-70 2.8 L repaired

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 05, 2016 00:18 |  #16

Shooting wrote in post #17923595 (external link)
The green focusing square doesn't stay green very long. I read that you never take a picture with it still mag on 10, than you get the mag back to normal, by then the green square is gone and it is back to white, was that wrong? If that was wrong then no I did not shoot with the focusing on green. But it did look sharp on the lcd. I took a photo of my wife in a chair so nothing moved to change focusing plane and I had it on a tripod. I sent the lens in again but if it isn't fixed this time it is going on ebay. I did not send the camera in because it is not used on the same camera all the time. 2 weeks ago it was tested on a 50D and a 7D by another photographer with the very same results, back focusing with no recognizable face in the basketball team. Trouble is I'm still making payments on the thing.

You can shoot with the mag on 10, the camera doesn't care. Sounds to me like you are inadvertently resetting focus, and then getting focus on something else in the (much) larger green frame at 1x view.

sponsored links
Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 05, 2016 09:45 |  #17

ebiggs wrote in post #17923656 (external link)
I have used the ef 24-70mm f2.8 for years and years with no issues. It has been retired now with the purchase of version II.
That old guy did about a wedding a week so it's not like it set for any time. I used it on my 1Ds Mk III, great combo.

Good for you.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 07, 2016 12:28 |  #18

Just heard from Canon, they are going to repair it (again) for free so we will see what that does. All this for backfocusing at 24mm, amazing.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 12, 2016 16:52 |  #19

Canon just asked for my camera so they can calibrate it and make it work with my camera which is good but my question is, does that mean that the lens will not work well on another camera? Because if my primary camera breaks down and I have to use it on my back up (which is the same model and make as my primary one) does that mean that it will not work well? What if I get another camera in the future? I'd have to send the lens in with that camera for another $298 adjustment?

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 13, 2016 15:12 |  #20

Shooting wrote in post #17933167 (external link)
Canon just asked for my camera so they can calibrate it and make it work with my camera which is good but my question is, does that mean that the lens will not work well on another camera? Because if my primary camera breaks down and I have to use it on my back up (which is the same model and make as my primary one) does that mean that it will not work well? What if I get another camera in the future? I'd have to send the lens in with that camera for another $298 adjustment?

Canon calibrates cameras using a known-accurate calibration lens. And they calibrate lenses using a known-accurate camera body.

They do NOT calibrate your lens to your body, because of the issues you raise.

So you will be good to go!

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 14, 2016 17:44 |  #21

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17934052 (external link)
Canon calibrates cameras using a known-accurate calibration lens. And they calibrate lenses using a known-accurate camera body.

They do NOT calibrate your lens to your body, because of the issues you raise.

So you will be good to go!

Good, thank you for that info. Got the email they are sending it them back today, they only had it one day so I guess it doesn't take long.

Shooting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 16, 2016 14:47 |  #22

Got the lens and camera back today and there was a note in with the lens that said that the back element was incorrectly adjusted the first time causing rear focus and that has been corrected and the camera is performing within specifications. Preliminary testing shows it working just fine. I'll know more next Sat. when I do some bridal portraits and full length at a distance.

sponsored links

5,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Getting tired of getting Canon 24-70 2.8 L repaired
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.