Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,113 posts
Gallery: 1853 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 14, 2016 15:11 as a reply to  @ post 17934944 |  #1156

I've not a need for wireless tethering/transmitting but my attitude would be just thankful that it exists, that Canon
made the effort to offer it for those who realy need it and happy the more affordable previous gen still works.
To put it into perspective, on my level I'd prefer pinch zoom when in playback ;)
Speaking of playback I was scimming the manual again and the in camera raw developing features aren't bad
at all for someone with previous gen transmitter that just has to get a jpg off to the clouds.

If you just have to get connected, say you're a hobbyist like me and insist on some camera control via
your phone I've connected the 7Dii to my Droid via a TP-link module-

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3940/15715856485_474f830ed9_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pWKS​AR  (external link) Camera info via TP Link Router (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Mar 14, 2016 15:17 |  #1157

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17935207 (external link)
I've not a need for wireless tethering/transmitting but my attitude would be just thankful that it exists, that Canon
made the effort to offer it for those who realy need it and happy the more affordable previous gen still works.
To put it into perspective, on my level I'd prefer pinch zoom when in playback ;)
Speaking of playback I was scimming the manual again and the in camera raw developing features aren't bad
at all for someone with previous gen transmitter that just has to get a jpg off to the clouds.

If you just have to get connected, say you're a hobbyist like me and insist on some camera control via
your phone I've connected the 7Dii to my Droid via a TP-link module-
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pWKS​AR  (external link) Camera info via TP Link Router (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm using in addition to a camranger at work. Cheap - only $30 for the TP-link and $8 or so for the app. Basically the same hardware as the camranger with some third-party firmware.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 14, 2016 15:50 |  #1158

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17934924 (external link)
I just got off the phone. I ordered the MPR-73 just so I have something for my older bodies and, if needed, the 1DxII when it arrives.

They haven't yet opened pre-orders on the 1DxII plate.

Thanks Erik! Appreciate the update.

Bryan

My Gear List

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 14, 2016 15:51 |  #1159

David Arbogast wrote in post #17934735 (external link)
Hope that last sentence was in jest as well...I never made a claim about my pics being nice or better than anyone else's; I never even joke about that.

doesnt anyone have any sense of humour around here? i was only joking man. i never compare or say my work is better then someone as well.

Cant believe some people are taking offense such as the bloke who said he will ignore me?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,457 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 14, 2016 16:09 |  #1160

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17935246 (external link)
doesnt anyone have any sense of humour around here? i was only joking man. i never compare or say my work is better then someone as well.

Cant believe some people are taking offense such as the bloke who said he will ignore me?

I do have a sense of humor; love to laugh and appreciated your post. It's why I actually hit that "like" button on your post before even before posting my reply. I'm sorry not being sure about the last joke - I thought it was, but just wasn't 100% certain, so I asked. Like I said, it's not a place I go with my jokes so I was in unfamiliar territory. Now I know! :D

I also "liked" Bryan's (bps) post too, because I genuinely appreciate the very kind words he has expressed towards me. Everyone appreciates that! :)

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, Sigma 35mm F/1.2, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 15, 2016 02:39 |  #1161

i dreamed last night i had a 1dx mk1 and was taking it for a spin before deciding on the mk2 version!

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Ambient ­ Light ­ Studios
57 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 15, 2016 22:57 |  #1162

I am anxiously waiting for the release of this new beast. Not sure if anyone can yet answer this question but I am curious about the AF system. I have the 7dMii and they bragged about the new AF system being used in that. Now they say this has a new AF System. Does Anyone know how they compare. I assume the 1DXmii is even better than the already amazing 7Dmii system.

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
19,113 posts
Gallery: 1853 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Mar 15, 2016 23:27 as a reply to  @ Ambient Light Studios's post |  #1163

Even if I had the 1DXii in hand I'd be the last to tell you.
I still don't understand the AF of my 70D, 1Div, or 7Dii.
All I do it select the center + the 4 points around it and try my best
to keep that on my bird.
I used to feel down about my simplistic use of the AF systems but
I watched a Scott Kelby interview with some bigtime pro's and they said
they use the center point only.
Now I feel better.

But I read one guys blog and he keeps ALL points active.
When I asked him about nailing a wing tip versus the eye he (and this is
with 7Dii) he said yes it does happen but with more and more frame rate
the odds are you'll get what you want.

Thus my desire for speed , 14 speeds :)

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by idkdc.

Mar 16, 2016 01:07 |  #1164

Read Chuck Westfall's interview illuminating the difference between the 7DII and 1DX autofocus systems. (65 cross type vs 41 cross type, double-cross-type vs. single, sensitivity, etc). There are pros and cons both ways.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
10,029 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 16, 2016 03:02 |  #1165

Ambient Light Studios wrote in post #17936821 (external link)
I am anxiously waiting for the release of this new beast. Not sure if anyone can yet answer this question but I am curious about the AF system. I have the 7dMii and they bragged about the new AF system being used in that. Now they say this has a new AF System. Does Anyone know how they compare. I assume the 1DXmii is even better than the already amazing 7Dmii system.

I would think they tweak the 1d series to be a little better but even if they had the same AF system the 1d would be quicker because of the higher voltage Battery -more so when a tc is on series II lenses .

Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htm (external link)

Mark0159
I say stupid things all the time
12,899 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2003

Mar 16, 2016 03:07 |  #1166

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17936841 (external link)
Even if I had the 1DXii in hand I'd be the last to tell you.
I still don't understand the AF of my 70D, 1Div, or 7Dii.
All I do it select the center + the 4 points around it and try my best
to keep that on my bird.
I used to feel down about my simplistic use of the AF systems but
I watched a Scott Kelby interview with some bigtime pro's and they said
they use the center point only.
Now I feel better.

But I read one guys blog and he keeps ALL points active.
When I asked him about nailing a wing tip versus the eye he (and this is
with 7Dii) he said yes it does happen but with more and more frame rate
the odds are you'll get what you want.

Thus my desire for speed , 14 speeds :)

you know at the end of the day, as the photographer holding your camera in hand trying to capture the photo you want, everything is up to you. There is no right/wrong way to use the camera. If you get results you want and like then don't worry about what everyone does.

If however you think there is a better way to get what you want then by all means learn it.

Mark
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/52782633@N04 (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD | Canon Speedlite 550EX -|- Film | Canon EOS 3 | Olympus OM2 | Zuiko 35mm f2

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
235 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 16, 2016 03:32 as a reply to  @ GyRob's post |  #1167

It's not just the voltages...the main factor is the extra processor(s). Dual processing and the dedicated AF processor, which is an older generation D!igic make the AF lock and track better.

sploo
premature adulation
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Mar 16, 2016 04:19 |  #1168

Ambient Light Studios wrote in post #17936821 (external link)

It looks as though it's more an evolution of the 1Dx MkI system than the 7DII. That said, one of Canon's websites was talking about the improved iTR system from the 7DII (hinting that perhaps they consider iTR in the 7DII to be better than the original 1Dx).

Other than more (in fact, all) points being sensitive to f/8, and the centre point working down to -3 EV, the main change (based on early reports) seems to "just" be that it's faster and more reliable at tracking and locking focus. I.e. no amazing headline figures on paper (e.g. Nikon D5, 153 AF points), but apparently much better than its predecessor in use.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by bps. (3 edits in all)

Mar 16, 2016 05:17 |  #1169

docholliday_sc001 wrote in post #17936986 (external link)
It's not just the voltages...the main factor is the extra processor(s). Dual processing and the dedicated AF processor, which is an older generation D!igic make the AF lock and track better.

And as an add-on to the excellent comment above, another facet that improves AF performance on the Canon 1D X Mark II is the 360,000-pixel RGB+IR Metering sensor. The iTR uses that sensor to understand, track, and follow subjects.

There are several refinements in the new Mark II that lead to greater AF performance.

Bryan

My Gear List

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 16, 2016 08:33 |  #1170

Wow, I didn't see this coming! Of course I expect certain people to receive the first batch...I just didn't expect it to happen this early. Maybe, just maybe...ours might arrive a little earlier than expected.

http://www.canonrumors​.com …as-reach-first-customers/ (external link)

Bryan

My Gear List

sponsored links

284,913 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.