Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 04 May 2015 (Monday) 10:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tip of the Day: Sparklers and Wedding Photography Don’t Always Mix

Tigerkn
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Tigerkn.

May 04, 2015 10:50 |  #1

My photographer hero! His fingers got burn till the point he had to use his only pinky to push the trigger. I wouldn't know what I would do if I was him :(

“I only had my pinky left, but it saved the day! It had managed to escape the damage done to my hand and fingers so I blasted about 30 frames as fast as I could. I couldn’t concentrate on anything else besides keeping the couple somewhat centered in the frame and in focus. So I shot and shot without thinking about anything like flash recharge time, different compositions, etc.”

http://blog.wppionline​.com …arklers-wedding-accident/ (external link)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

sponsored links
jcolman
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 04, 2015 13:02 |  #2

Brian is a good guy. He shot my daughters wedding and was the man responsible for me becoming a wedding tog. I'm glad to see that his hand has pretty much healed and he's back in business.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 05, 2015 08:50 |  #3

Brian is a good guy. He posted this on a private FB page for DWF photographers and we have reposted to our FB page. We are going to discourage brides from having sparkler exits. I have heard many stories including dress' catching on fire. Photos are cool and all that stuff, but I think its an un necessary risk. This is not the first that I have heard about this.

https://www.facebook.c​om …omentsPhotograp​hy?fref=nf (external link)

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 05, 2015 08:55 |  #4

Jim Coleman. send me a PM. I cant get mine to work right with this new format. Or send me your email address. Have somethig for you.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,597 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 05, 2015 17:27 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #5

Jim@jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 05, 2015 20:02 |  #6

Do you need my email address Mike :)

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Gears (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,038 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 06, 2015 08:35 |  #7

Dam right I do...send it

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,782 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

May 06, 2015 09:06 |  #8

Ouch. What an ordeal.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 23/35/50 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Mar 15, 2016 17:13 |  #9

I won't shoot them... simple as. After seeing a guest at one wedding trying to hold and light 20 or so at once and nearly being burned very badly it is a straightforward no from me. Drunk people and fire shouldn't be mixed.

If people want the shot that badly they can hire someone else.

Peter

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 15, 2016 18:01 |  #10

Wow Peter, that is a strick rule.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by memoriesoftomorrow.

Mar 15, 2016 21:23 |  #11

Tigerkn wrote in post #17936527 (external link)
Wow Peter, that is a strick rule.

Not really. I've been to three weddings where couples tried them. One resulted in 30 odd guests lighting them inside the venue nearly setting off the fire alarms and sprinkler system (which would have destroyed my kit). The other two nearly saw guests getting badly injured.

I'm not prepared to risk myself being around several drunk people in confined spaces in charge or what effectively are fire sticks.

Aside from anything else using them at many venues over here is very risky anyway due to the bushfire risks. Drunk people with ignition devices, high fire risk areas. No thanks.

Peter

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 15, 2016 21:39 |  #12

Most if not all venues in California that I have been through, do it outdoor, not indoor. They either use a bucket with water or medal bucket to collect them all right after the Couple reach the end of the line. So far so good :)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Mar 15, 2016 22:09 as a reply to  @ Tigerkn's post |  #13

Oh it was meant to be outdoors... the drunk guests decided they were lighting them inside though.

Venues won't lift a finger to organise it. There insurance doesn't cover them to do so.

Peter

Tigerkn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,055 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 15, 2016 22:18 |  #14

It is dangerous that the venue is not control the sparkler exit process, indeed.

sponsored links

3,555 views & 1 like for this thread
Tip of the Day: Sparklers and Wedding Photography Don’t Always Mix
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.