Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 15 Mar 2016 (Tuesday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thinking of selling the Canon gear and going full Fuji...

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 15, 2016 13:44 |  #1

It was kind of unthinkable for me before, but I was looking through LR the other night, and unless I missed something, I've only taken about 2000 shots with my 6D since getting it in early 2013. 3 years, 2000 shots! It's really relegated to a specialty use camera mostly for shooting events. My personal photography has all been with smaller cameras.

I'm considering going full-on Fuji because I really ended up liking the X-T10 more than I thought. I didn't realize how useful that articulating LCD is until actually having it on a body I use a lot, and the AF improvements have really improved the usability of Fuji cameras.

Also, one strength of the 6D and primary reason for keeping it was the high-ISO performance. But I think technique wise I've gotten better at post-processing high-ISO images and using black and white or just being comfortable keeping some grain in images. ISO 6400 is no sweat for my Fuji, especially because the colors hold together extremely well even at that ISO. And with the use of the faster f/1.4 lenses, I think ISO higher than that would be emergency use for me.

That being said my Canon kit is extremely minimal. 6D body and 24-70ii. So another part of me thinks maybe I should keep it around...

As far as what I'd do with the money if I sell, probably not more gear. I MIGHT consider adding an X-T1, but I might also just use the X-T10 primarily and wait until an X-T2 is announced, and then consider picking that up or maybe a cheaper X-T1 at that time.

sponsored links
TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,185 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Mar 15, 2016 14:39 |  #2

well before i got my 7dm2 i thought of switching to Sony as a guy at work does 2nd shooter for weddings. he picked up a a7 and a a7r (i think that is them) and he is loving them. So much his 5dm3 just sits now. now he just got the a6300. I was going to go A77ii but decided going 7dm2 as i got a bonus and made it doable.

now even to this day I am still contemplating as canon gear is expensive and I dont make money at this..

but back to you... it sounds like you sold yourself to doing it so Id say go for it. You may like it or you may end up buying back and having both. Guy at work is contemplating selling his 5md3 and going for a 7dm2 as he just cant let canon go yet... and i say Yet...

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Mar 15, 2016 15:29 |  #3

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17936263 (external link)
As far as what I'd do with the money if I sell, probably not more gear. I MIGHT consider adding an X-T1, but I might also just use the X-T10 primarily and wait until an X-T2 is announced, and then consider picking that up or maybe a cheaper X-T1 at that time.

I'm in the process of doing a similar thing. I intend to get an X-E2 to tide me over until the price drops a little on the X-Pro2. It all comes down to what features you require, and how much you can afford to lose/spend.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 15, 2016 15:35 |  #4

PineBomb wrote in post #17936349 (external link)
I'm in the process of doing a similar thing. I intend to get an X-E2 to tide me over until the price drops a little on the X-Pro2. It all comes down to what features you require, and how much you can afford to lose/spend.

Yea, I think the big allure of the X-T1 over the X-T10 is the bigger EVF. The eye relief on the X-T10 is fairly poor, so does make using it a bit of a chore for someone that wears glasses like me. But that being said I'm becoming more and more of an LCD shooter.

Fred ­ G. ­ Unn
39 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 15, 2016 16:47 |  #5

I'm in a very similar situation. My 6D hardly gets used at all anymore as I use my X-T1 for just about everything. I mostly have kept it and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS for sports, especially indoor sports like swim meets where the lighting is terrible. For outdoor sports I've gotten pretty good with the Fuji 50-140 + 1.4x and it's quite literally half the weight of my gripped 6D with the 70-200. The blackout period in the viewfinder while shooting sports on Fuji still takes some getting used to though. If the X-T2 (when it arrives this summer-ish) is better at higher ISOs, had better autofocus, and better video quality, then I think I'll finally sell off the last of my Canon gear.

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 15, 2016 16:52 |  #6

Do you guys think there's any value in keeping the 24-70ii and just selling the 6D body?

I am planning on keeping my other Canon body, the SL1, mainly because I will only get peanuts for it if I sell it. It's going to look ridiculous, but at least in a pinch if I really wanted to use the 24-70 I could use it on my SL1. I like the lens a lot, and I'm sure it will be a definite re-buy if in the future I get back into Canon (say if the 6D II blows me away or for some other reason), so keeping it might be a good idea?

Selling the 6D wouldn't be as big of a deal since sooner or later I will prob get a new body even if I stay in the Canon ecosystem.

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by PineBomb.

Mar 15, 2016 17:22 |  #7

PineBomb wrote in post #17936349 (external link)

That was fast. Most of my Canon kit just sold. Only one thing left to do....

Sorry for the derail. Others might disagree, but if your only other Canon is the SL1, I think I'd sell the 24-70, and put the money toward Fuji glass.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

Fred ­ G. ­ Unn
39 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 15, 2016 17:57 |  #8

PineBomb wrote in post #17936492 (external link)
Others might disagree, but if your only other Canon is the SL1, I think I'd sell the 24-70, and put the money toward Fuji glass.

+1. OP, what Fuji lenses do you have anyway? I didn't see them (or your X-T10) in your sig.

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 15, 2016 18:00 |  #9

Fred G. Unn wrote in post #17936523 (external link)
+1. OP, what Fuji lenses do you have anyway? I didn't see them (or your X-T10) in your sig.

16-50 kit lens and 35mm 1.4. Will probably replace the 16-50 with the 18-55 in the near future, but otherwise I actually don't really need any other lenses for my photography.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,262 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by FarmerTed1971.

Mar 15, 2016 18:22 |  #10

2K shots in 3 years?!? Sell it man... WTF are you keeping it for?

Make the jump... you won't miss it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

The ­ Dark ­ Knight
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,187 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 15, 2016 18:25 |  #11

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17936553 (external link)

I know right?! I am going to have to run it through one of those programs that gives a more accurate shutter count if/when I do sell it, but I was pretty shocked when I checked out LR over the weekend and saw the number of images taken with the 6D.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,262 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Mar 15, 2016 18:29 |  #12

Just do it. You can buy a few new Fuji lenses and have a killer kit.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Fred ­ G. ­ Unn
39 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Mar 15, 2016 20:59 |  #13

Obviously it depends on condition, but judging by completed listings on eBay and figuring maybe $950 for the 6D and $1,400 for the 24-70, you could easily put all that $ towards a 16 f/1.4 and a 56 f/1.2 and have a great 3 prime set with your 35 (and 23 covered with your X100S ). You'd still have quite a bit of $ left over to put towards a X-T2 when it comes out, or you could sell the XC 16-50 and put the remaining $ toward the 18-55 or 16-55 if you want a zoom.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,635 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 15, 2016 22:27 |  #14

The Dark Knight wrote in post #17936526 (external link)
16-50 kit lens and 35mm 1.4. Will probably replace the 16-50 with the 18-55 in the near future, but otherwise I actually don't really need any other lenses for my photography.

The 18-55mm is a fantastic lens, it's the only standard zoom that I've ever really enjoyed using and don't hesitate to reach for.

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #17936553 (external link)

I agree! :)

Too funny how much this thread reminds me of my dilema a little over a year ago. I bought an X-E1 as my "the 6D is too dang big sometimes" camera and quickly found that I was rarely missing the 6D. In the 6 months or so that I had the X-E1 I pretty much only took the 6D out for paid shoots or for low light outings, so I sold the 6D and got the a7R to see how it would do as an all around camera (logic being that it's FF so would be better than the X-E1 at high ISO but about as small), then quickly realized that it didn't live up to my high ISO needs so I sold it and got the a7S. I love the a7S, figured I wouldn't need the Fuji anymore because it wasn't that much smaller so I sold it... shortly after that I missed it like crazy so I bought an X-E2 and now my a7S is largely finding itself in the same position my 6D was in :eek:

There really is just something special about the Fuji system. I see people talk about how much better value the a7 lineup is all the time because it's FF and therefore inherently better... I call BS. There's definitely certain things that FF is better for, but as a whole the Fuji system is so much nicer of a system. The lenses are fantastic, small and relatively cheap; the bodies are very well designed with great ergonomics and features; the firmware support is absolutely amazing and Fuji doesn't gimp their lower tier cameras in hopes to shoehorn you into buying the higher end ones, they've used the same sensor in all of their line up until the X-Pro2 and I'd be really surprised if that sensor won't be their new standard for the next generation (X-E3, X-T2, etc.) and they continue to support their cameras even after new one's have come out.

So I say, yeah, make the jump and don't look back ;) As soon as Fuji makes a camera with clean ISO12800+ full color images I'm pretty sure I'll dive into it as my only system too.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,490 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 16, 2016 02:59 |  #15

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17936790 (external link)
The 18-55mm is a fantastic lens, it's the only standard zoom that I've ever really enjoyed using and don't hesitate to reach for.

I agree! :)

Too funny how much this thread reminds me of my dilema a little over a year ago. I bought an X-E1 as my "the 6D is too dang big sometimes" camera and quickly found that I was rarely missing the 6D. In the 6 months or so that I had the X-E1 I pretty much only took the 6D out for paid shoots or for low light outings, so I sold the 6D and got the a7R to see how it would do as an all around camera (logic being that it's FF so would be better than the X-E1 at high ISO but about as small), then quickly realized that it didn't live up to my high ISO needs so I sold it and got the a7S. I love the a7S, figured I wouldn't need the Fuji anymore because it wasn't that much smaller so I sold it... shortly after that I missed it like crazy so I bought an X-E2 and now my a7S is largely finding itself in the same position my 6D was in :eek:

There really is just something special about the Fuji system. I see people talk about how much better value the a7 lineup is all the time because it's FF and therefore inherently better... I call BS. There's definitely certain things that FF is better for, but as a whole the Fuji system is so much nicer of a system. The lenses are fantastic, small and relatively cheap; the bodies are very well designed with great ergonomics and features; the firmware support is absolutely amazing and Fuji doesn't gimp their lower tier cameras in hopes to shoehorn you into buying the higher end ones, they've used the same sensor in all of their line up until the X-Pro2 and I'd be really surprised if that sensor won't be their new standard for the next generation (X-E3, X-T2, etc.) and they continue to support their cameras even after new one's have come out.

So I say, yeah, make the jump and don't look back ;) As soon as Fuji makes a camera with clean ISO12800+ full color images I'm pretty sure I'll dive into it as my only system too.

How will the affordable X-E2 compare in iso performance to the 6d?

I'm seriously considering a Sony A7s or A6300 as a casual camera for family documentation.

I'm currently shooting a Panny GH3 as a video/stills camera for good light outings. I even wished the GH4 would have clean high iso images at ISO 5000 in challenging light but the Raw files fall apart. Any sort of aggressive noise reduction makes plastic skin texture. My Oly E-m5 is a very nice stills camera great for "good light shooting". I let my 6, 9 yrs old daughters use my M43 gear as a learning tool for photography. The new M43 20mpx sensor seems to hit a wall in the physical limitations for ISO performance. Economically I may just buy a Panny GX8 for a new casual video rig that does not overheat shooting 4k.

My problem is that I want a decent video rig as well as good high ISO performance. This is where an A7s or A6300 seems to outperform the fuji system's AF tracking.

If I just settle for a stills camera what am I to expect with an X-E2? I highly doubt it can even match or even be close to a 5dmk2 high iso performance. Cost wise the X-pro2 is still well over 2 grand so this is quite an investment for a casual kick around camera. I'd really like to play with a fuji raw file to see how well I can push and pull the file. If the X-E2 cant truly hold it's own well over ISO5000 without falling apart I'll consider the fuji.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links

9,841 views & 15 likes for this thread
Thinking of selling the Canon gear and going full Fuji...
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.