Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,785 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 15, 2016 05:17 |  #6076

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17935450 (external link)
johnf3f wrote in post #17935425 (external link)
I don't actually have a Canon 500 it is a Canon 800mm and no I don't use IS even hand held.

the EXIF data on the photo you posted shows 500mm F4 at 1/800, F10, iso 400 - but it was actually an 800mm F5.6? <snip>

I think you're confusing John's comments with Nordwil57's shot of the Crane

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17933709 (external link)
I haven't been following for a while because after I got mine back from Canon it seemed to be behaving well. I also picked up a used 5D3 and have been using that a bit.

We have an upcoming trip to Yellowstone at the end of May and I'm trying to get some work in with maximum reach, so I'm back to the 7D2 with the 1.4 (and without). After shooting this Sandhill Crane yesterday I'm getting those bad feelings in the pit of my stomach again!

This was the 7D2 with the 500 V.1, no extenders. I shot @ 1/800 @ f10 because I didn't want to miss any focus. The bird was in the same spot for a long time, so no excuses. I ended up with crappy bokeh which maybe f4 or f5 could have fixed, but still a blurry eye. There was just minimal cropping on this pic.

Any thoughts on what I may have missed? I'd really rather it was me than the camera at this point!

edit: I didn't realize exif data was published so I apologize for double dipping. Also I'm shooting firmware V 1.04

Gear List

sponsored links
Nordwil57
583 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Post edited over 5 years ago by Nordwil57.

Mar 15, 2016 12:08 |  #6077

Correct, I'm the one having the 500mm issues with the 7D3. I was thinking of buying FoCal, but maybe I'll try to take the lens and body out this weekend and shoot one of the cardboard focus tools for MFA. Hopefully this turns out to be just a heat shimmer issue. I could tell after each shot, magnifying on the screen, that I wasn't getting a sharp image.

FWIW, if I hadn't mentioned earlier, I started shooting the bird across a creek, AI Servo, center point focus (ended up missing a nice BIF opportunity because of that!) bad results, I figured thermals from the warmer water. After it settled down maybe 20-25 yards from the road, I took a shot through the window, slowly got out of the truck and took a few shots with a beanbag on the hood (truck was off) and then took the majority using a tripod. IS was on, but I believe mode 2? I need to check that.

If I can't get good results after this weekend, I still have time to send it in to Canon once again before our Yellowstone trip end of May.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 15, 2016 14:44 as a reply to  @ smythie's post |  #6078

Thanks - I was beginning to think there 2 of me!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Nordwil57
583 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 15, 2016 14:48 |  #6079

And I was frantically searching for my lost 800 !

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Mar 15, 2016 14:53 |  #6080

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17936320 (external link)
And I was frantically searching for my lost 800 !

:-):twisted:

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

abacus022
Goldmember
1,568 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Jul 2011

Mar 15, 2016 18:04 as a reply to  @ Nordwil57's post |  #6081

Maybe its attached to your 7d3? :)

"I'm the one having the 500mm issues with the 7D3."

Canon EOS R5, R, 7D mkII, 6D
Lenses: Canon 100-400 II, Tamron 28-300, Tamron 18-270, Sigma 150-500, Canon 50, Sigma 28, Sigma 2X TC
www.photographyByAbacu​s.com (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/abacus22 (external link)

Nordwil57
583 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 16, 2016 07:26 |  #6082

abacus022 wrote in post #17936531 (external link)
Maybe its attached to your 7d3? :)

"I'm the one having the 500mm issues with the 7D3."

Lol! Just bought a used 5D3...can't keep up! I'll leave the original without editing for clarity's sake.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

DMZamora
20 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 5 years ago by DMZamora.

Mar 17, 2016 00:16 |  #6083

digital paradise wrote in post #17935656 (external link)
Just to add a world class birder and member here MFA's at minimal focusing distance. He just uses money taped to a wall. Also quite a while ago a member here stated that a company in Europe will MFA those long lenses at about 21 ft. I asked a few more questions but the person never got back. I may try that one of these days for something to do.

Just as an example, Reikan FoCal gives somewhat different results at MFD vs 'RFD' (recommended focusing distance). Apparently it's a matter of what FD you will use more often.

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 17, 2016 02:31 |  #6084

DMZamora wrote in post #17938125 (external link)
Just as an example, Reikan FoCal gives somewhat different results at MFD vs 'RFD' (recommended focusing distance). Apparently it's a matter of what FD you will use more often.

I have never tried FoCal at MFD. I did follow the RFD for longer lenses that they suggested. Real world results look fine. Not sure I would use FoCal and MFD as I don't think it was designed for that. If I do try it I'll just use money taped to a wall, tether to my laptop, use Canon utilities and eyeball it. That is what Liquidstone does - the money part anyway.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Nordwil57
583 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 17, 2016 08:36 |  #6085

Good info. FWIW, I stopped by my local camera store for a gut check of the AF (he calibrates on a regular basis and has a better eye than I do). A quick check in store, focusing on a succession of frames in a display, showed focus to be pretty much on target. I'll pick up a cheap cardboard system this weekend and try myself for practice if nothing else.

Just to confirm, you guys usually shoot in AI Servo at all times as well? Canon said not to because it looks for movement and can cause issues on a stationary object and the camera store agrees. I just hate to change my methods now. Lastly, does everybody shut off IS when shooting from a tripod with a gimbal?

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 17, 2016 10:07 |  #6086

digital paradise wrote in post #17938176 (external link)
Not sure I would use FoCal and MFD as I don't think it was designed for that. If I do try it I'll just use money taped to a wall, tether to my laptop, use Canon utilities and eyeball it. That is what Liquidstone does - the money part anyway.

Yeah, but $10,000 bills AF easier than the stuff you and I use! :)

RodS57
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Mar 17, 2016 10:33 |  #6087

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17938368 (external link)
Good info. FWIW, I stopped by my local camera store for a gut check of the AF (he calibrates on a regular basis and has a better eye than I do). A quick check in store, focusing on a succession of frames in a display, showed focus to be pretty much on target. I'll pick up a cheap cardboard system this weekend and try myself for practice if nothing else.

Just to confirm, you guys usually shoot in AI Servo at all times as well? Canon said not to because it looks for movement and can cause issues on a stationary object and the camera store agrees. I just hate to change my methods now. Lastly, does everybody shut off IS when shooting from a tripod with a gimbal?

AF mode for me depends on planned targets at the time so... You can have your cake and eat it to. Set either the AF-ON or * button to toggle between AI Servo and one shot AF then it doesn't t matter which mode the camera is in as you have instant access to the other focus mode.

As for IS when it is on I forget to turn it off and vice versa. Sometimes this means it is on when it shouldn't be, panning for instance. (Unless you have panning mode). Typically my IS is off as I try to use high shutter speeds.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,463 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Mar 17, 2016 12:16 |  #6088

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17938458 (external link)
Yeah, but $10,000 bills AF easier than the stuff you and I use! :)

I actually had $10,000 in January but it was Costa Rica Colons :-) That was freaky deaky.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Nordwil57
583 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 20, 2016 09:00 |  #6089

Update for those interested. Since the Sandhill gave me a second chance yesterday (way out of it's normal range here), I shot a few with the 7d2 and then with the 5d3 with a 1.4 TC. Here's the flickr link to the 5d3 image (it will have more exif data I imagine) I shot the 5d3 image keeping it in AI Servo.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1683/25296821564_886c888932_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …/rwilhelmsen/25​296821564/  (external link)
Sandhill Crane (external link) by Rick Wilhelmsen (external link) on Flickr

And here's the 7D2 image. I changed AI Servo to one shot but left the IS on on the tripod, so that may have been a mistake. (I had it shut off on the 5d3 shot) Other than that similar set up and IMO the 7d2 image is not as sharp. Better than before, but not what I was hoping for after seeing the pics you guys are posting.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

I still have a little bit of time to play before my trip to Y Stone, but not much! Getting ready to send it back once again if I can't get what I need out of it.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Mar 20, 2016 09:20 as a reply to  @ Nordwil57's post |  #6090

Rick you have no choice, Call and speak to the supervisor...They will get done what you need to be done. Coming from experience, playing with the regular's is only going to add more time to your repair. There is a problem and I think its hard for guys to get just how off your camera is on the forum. I can tell you I know...Its very frustrating on your end trying to relay what your seeing in every image. I hope you get this resolved soon. Don't be afraid to ask for a loner !! although it may not be perfect either.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,520,591 views & 2,732 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.