Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 21 Mar 2016 (Monday) 13:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Deciding between Lowepro Pro Tactic and Pro Runner (for traveling by plane)

klimraamkosie
900 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2016 13:15 |  #1

Here is the gear I have to carry.

Large
- 70D (x2)
- 8mm fisheye
- Panoramic head (about the size of a 24-105)
- 13inch ultrabook
- Manfrotto 190CX3 CF

Small
- Wireless triggers
- Batteries
- SD cards
- Cleaning supples

Traveling clothes + Toiletries.

-
If there is any space left I'll pack some more lenses.

This is supposed to be 1 bag for travel work for overnight or even 2 nights. Gear + Clothes.

Gear
500px (external link)

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 21, 2016 15:14 |  #2

I prefer the protactic because:

I t fits under the seat and the overhead compatment of all the airlines I used from the Boeing 737-800 for local flights to the Luftansa's Airbus A380. I fit far more gear than your list but not the tripod which I dont think you can carry on anyway. Its far lighter and more compact to carry on your back than the runner. the wont be much space for clothes in the 350, maybe the 450 if you not carrying a suit and tie.The protactic doesnt have wheels btw, you only carry option is in your hand on on your back. There is a about 1kg/2lb weight difference between the bags. I can load my bag and still make the 7kg carry weight restrictions cause I have to take the laptop out when it goes through the scanner. I would pop into a camera store with 10% more gear and clothes than you intending to carry and see if it all fits.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,066 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John from PA.

Mar 21, 2016 15:33 |  #3

FerozeK wrote in post #17943350 (external link)

I fit far more gear than your list but not the tripod which I dont think you can carry on anyway.

The thread at https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1420876 discusses the recent experience of people with carrying on tripods. It seems as though you generally can, although some TSA people may take exception, in which case you will have to check the tripod as opposed to irritating a TSA person. See https://apps.tsa.dhs.g​ov …esults.aspx?sea​rch=tripod (external link) for specific TSA policy.

My personal experience just a few weeks back indicated no issues but I had removed the pointed feet from the legs of my Manfrotto. I was also travelling TSA pre-check which may have some bearing on my ability to pass through with minimal issue.

I also note that FerozeK is from South Africa while all my recent travels have been domestic USA.

klimraamkosie
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2016 15:37 |  #4

FerozeK wrote in post #17943350 (external link)

I t fits under the seat and the overhead compatment of all the airlines I used from the Boeing 737-800 for local flights to the Luftansa's Airbus A380. I fit far more gear than your list but not the tripod which I dont think you can carry on anyway. Its far lighter and more compact to carry on your back than the runner. the wont be much space for clothes in the 350, maybe the 450 if you not carrying a suit and tie.

Thanks for the first hand advice. I'm leaning that way, the reason I'm considering the Prorunner is because it's being marketed as very traveler friendly.

Do you have the 350 or 450? I'm asking because of the ability to put it under the seat would be a bonus if I need to get the larger one.

And no, this will be fairly casual clothing, the work I'm doing does not require suit and tie. If I need that I'll just do a small checked bag.

I fit far more gear than your list but not the tripod which I dont think you can carry on anyway.

I've flown with a tripod many times, no complaints.

The protactic doesnt have wheels btw, you only carry option is in your hand on on your back. There is a about 1kg/2lb weight difference between the bags. I can load my bag and still make the 7kg carry weight restrictions cause I have to take the laptop out when it goes through the scanner. I would pop into a camera store with 10% more gear and clothes than you intending to carry and see if it all fits.

That's a good idea. It may be worth it buying at a local store just to see if everything fits. May not feel great about just going there and not buying.

Gear
500px (external link)

klimraamkosie
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2016 15:39 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #17943368 (external link)
The thread at https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1420876 discusses the recent experience of people with carrying on tripods. It seems as though you generally can, although some TSA people may take exception, in which case you will have to check the tripod as opposed to irritating a TSA person. See https://apps.tsa.dhs.g​ov …esults.aspx?sea​rch=tripod (external link) for specific TSA policy.

My personal experience just a few weeks back indicated no issues but I had removed the pointed feet from the legs of my Manfrotto. I was also travelling TSA pre-check which may have some bearing on my ability to pass through with minimal issue.

I also note that FerozeK is from South Africa while all my recent travels have been domestic USA.

I haven't traveled in about a year with my tripod. It was fairly easy before then. Things may have changed, I'll check those links.

I'm South African as well but live in Houston now. I may travel home, to ZA, sometime in the next two years so that's good to know either way!

Gear
500px (external link)

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Mar 21, 2016 17:28 as a reply to  @ klimraamkosie's post |  #6

Howzit Bru :)

I have the 190bx, weights about 3kg with the head which puts me over the carry on limit unless I travel with my partner. Mango & Kulula will do anything to charge the R350 excess baggage fee so I try and stay in the limits. SAA is very dependant on the mood of the check in clerk. Emirates is a dream to fly with. The also keep wanting to test it for drugs cause the legs are hollow. I have the protactic 350. I carry 1 5d, F4 70-200, 16-35 and 24-70, 600 speedlight, 1 canon charger, 2 eneloop chargers, 30 eneloops in boxes, 1 sekonic 308, 2 plus x pocket wizards, odds and ends like filters, business cards and memory cards. This bag is lighter than the other lowepros. The dividers and the outer bag is about as half as thick as a normal lowepro. Traveling into to SA is not so much an issue as you coming in on an international flight, they worry more about bringing in food or plants. Camera bags are hard to buy unseen. You will never find the perfect bag that fits all your needs, you will land up with several bags that suit most situations.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,066 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by DreDaze.

Mar 21, 2016 18:11 |  #7

is there a reason it only has to be one bag? it would seem like overkill to me as far as the bag size for the amount of gear...you could just use a smaller carry on for clothes/batteries/trig​gers/cards...and then get a smaller bag/backpack for your gear...as for the tripod, i've never traveled with a tripod as large as yours...i normally travel with a mefoto small tripod that can fit into my carry-on bag...recently i wasn't allowed to fly with it coming back from mexico, and had to check it...but i flew there with it in the carry on, so i think domestic flights should be ok

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

klimraamkosie
THREAD ­ STARTER
900 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Mar 21, 2016 22:16 |  #8

DreDaze wrote in post #17943593 (external link)
is there a reason it only has to be one bag? it would seem like overkill to me as far as the bag size for the amount of gear...you could just use a smaller carry on for clothes/batteries/trig​gers/cards...and then get a smaller bag/backpack for your gear...as for the tripod, i've never traveled with a tripod as large as yours...i normally travel with a mefoto small tripod that can fit into my carry-on bag...recently i wasn't allowed to fly with it coming back from mexico, and had to check it...but i flew there with it in the carry on, so i think domestic flights should be ok

The reason is that I only want to take one bag.

Backpack + Carry on is likely too much for the airlines. So I'd like to keep it to one. And I can understand if it's impossible.

Also, the tripod isn't for "travel photography" it's for work and the minimum that I need for what I do. The lighter ones just don't give me the stability I need. That's for another thread. :)

Gear
500px (external link)

sponsored links

6,004 views & 0 likes for this thread
Deciding between Lowepro Pro Tactic and Pro Runner (for traveling by plane)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.