Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 18 Mar 2011 (Friday) 20:51
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Dear TITLE FAIRY :: Would you please change my title?"
Yes, I want a change
0%
No, leave me alone
49.4%
What is a Title Fairy? (a/k/a the TF)
0%
I don't care -- I just wanted to respond to a poll.
1.1%
I'm too scared to ask for a title change
49.4%

322 voters, 663253 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The Mediocre TITLE FAIRY thread :: Change my title, please.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,751 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 22, 2016 22:06 |  #6286

Wilt wrote in post #17945173 (external link)
Peeps is to Marshmallows as Dominos is to Pizza

One of the truly sad things about living where we do.... Dominos is the second best pizza place in the whole town..... It's very tough to get decent pizza in Florida and esp. here in Gainesville.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

sponsored links
Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,702 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Mar 22, 2016 22:31 |  #6287

Phoenixkh wrote in post #17945182 (external link)
One of the truly sad things about living where we do.... Dominos is the second best pizza place in the whole town..... It's very tough to get decent pizza in Florida and esp. here in Gainesville.

Thanks for the information which leads me to strike FL off my list of potential retirement relocation destinations!  :p

Hurricanes, giant sinkholes, Dominos...what else is wrong there?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,273 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by LV Moose. (2 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2016 22:38 |  #6288

It's full of Floridians.

I jest. What about mosquitos and alligators?

Speaking of pizza, we like Round Table. DiGiorno is very good for frozen pizza.

Hey! I just noticed my title has been lengthened by three words.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,702 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Mar 22, 2016 23:55 as a reply to  @ LV Moose's post |  #6289

I forgot about the bugs! All too many years ago, I worked for a G.E. subsidiary, and there was someone from the G.E. financial management fast track program assigned to work with our company. In that program he had previously had a rotation at a G.E. business in FL. Telling me about that, he described that during that assignment, when he came back to his hotel and unlocked the door to his room, if he was not careful he could be knocked over by the giant Palmetto bugs! <still laugh at that story, in spite of 30 years ensuing

As for Alligators, as a teen I owned two of them! Purchased when they were about 10" long, one passed away but the other one lived until it was 24" long when I donated it to University of CA San Jose's herpetology department before I went away to college. (They had an even larger one that they would take for a walk on a leash!) I thought it was a caiman, but the professor told me it was a real alligator and asked me if I really wanted to give it away (far greater in value than a caiman). So that would not scare me away from living in FL...but giant palmetto bugs (cockroaches) I shudder at the thought.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Inspeqtor
I brought this thread back to LIFE
6,753 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2016 00:48 |  #6290

Wilt wrote in post #17945279 (external link)
I forgot about the bugs! All too many years ago, I worked for a G.E. subsitidary, and there was someone from the G.E. financial management fast track program assigned to work with our company. In that program he had previously had a rotation at a G.E. business in FL. Telling me about that, he described that during that assignment, when he came back to his hotel and unlocked the door to his room, if he was not careful he could be knocked over by the giant Palmetto bugs! <still laugh at that story, in spite of 30 years ensuing

As for Alligators, as a teen I owned two of them! Purchased when they were about 10" long, one passed away but the other one lived until it was 24" long when I donated it to University of CA San Jose's herpetology department before I went away to college. (They had an even larger one that they would take for a walk on a leash!) I thought it was a caiman, but the professor told me it was a real alligator and asked me if I really wanted to give it away (far greater in value than a caiman). So that would not scare me away from living in FL...but giant palmetto bugs (cockroaches) I shudder at the thought.

My wife and I lived in Florida for a couple of years... believe me palmetto bugs are no fun, and they get BIG!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

bubbygator
I can't tell the difference
1,474 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

Mar 23, 2016 07:09 |  #6291

Sounds to me like you snowbirds just haven't heard of pesticide. When a Floridian builds a house, all the ground under the house is treated before construction, then all the inside corners of the house are treated.

The only time I see a bug is when it's dead.

But, I understand - none of the hotel/motel places are treated properly.

Gear List
The avatar is my middle grandson. (the TF can't tell the difference, but the fish is frowning and the kid is grinning)
Sarasota, sunlight, butterflies, fish, Gators, and Seminoles

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2016 07:47 |  #6292

I killed my first scorpion of the season a couple nights ago, in the back yard. The good thing about them is, they eat cockroaches. The bad thing is, they hurt a lot more.

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
12,996 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Mar 23, 2016 08:07 |  #6293

LV Moose wrote in post #17945474 (external link)
I killed my first scorpion of the season a couple nights ago, in the back yard. The good thing about them is, they eat cockroaches. The bad thing is, they hurt a lot more.

I attempt to befriend anything that eats bugs. I don't kill spiders, I relocate them...

Will immaculens.com (external link) gear
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by LV Moose.

Mar 23, 2016 08:22 |  #6294

Immaculens wrote in post #17945498 (external link)
I attempt to befriend anything that eats bugs. I don't kill spiders, I relocate them...

My wife demands that I kill scorpions and black widows (both of which are numerous in the summer months). I have convinced her that the other spiders are good critters. I really like Wolfies, and Nursery Web Spiders hang out with me in the pool. Crevice Weavers kinda mind their own bee's wax until a bug hits their web. Jumpers are fun, of course. I wish we had more Praying Mantids; they're the coolest bugs ever.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 23, 2016 09:17 |  #6295

jay125 wrote in post #17944924 (external link)
Peeps are evil. So are the people who consume them. Just sayin'

Peeps in the microwave, however... the absolute opposite of evil. :twisted:

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Mar 23, 2016 12:03 |  #6296

Erik S. Klein wrote in post #17945581 (external link)
Peeps in the microwave, however... the absolute opposite of evil. :twisted:

You must have a really big microwave if you can get a friend in there. Can't even get a turkey in mine.:-P

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,751 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Joined May 2011

Mar 23, 2016 12:29 |  #6297

daverator wrote in post #17945751 (external link)
You must have a really big microwave if you can get a friend in there. Can't even get a turkey in mine.:-P

and your Thanksgiving guests thank you. We were guests one Thanksgiving where the host swore off oven/stove combinations and only had a microwave.

The meal was ummmmmm "interesting".

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2016 12:35 |  #6298

ick

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

daverator
My title stinks!
2,073 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Mar 23, 2016 13:07 |  #6299

Ha-ha, used to work at a place where we had to have a safety meeting on microwave usage. Seems people were heating coffee too long and they'd grab it to take a sip when it was done, and it would explode when it hit the cooler air all over their face scalding them. Microwaves are vastly overrated and dangerous too!

Dave
7D gripped l T3i gripped | EFS-IS 18-55mm | EFS-IS II 55-250mm | EF 50mm 1.8 II l Tamron 150-600mm | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 vc

LV ­ Moose
23,273 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 23, 2016 13:24 |  #6300

daverator wrote in post #17945809 (external link)
Microwaves are vastly overrated and dangerous too!

They're awesome for making nachos, and boiling a cup of water. A lot of things are dangerous if you don't use them properly.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

sponsored links

963,976 views & 3,057 likes for this thread
The Mediocre TITLE FAIRY thread :: Change my title, please.
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.