Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 09 Mar 2016 (Wednesday) 15:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Engagement Photos

Camlee0814
371 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 09, 2016 15:34 |  #1

Would love some critique on a couple of engagement shots i took last weekend. Will be giving them to the client this week and have sent her a couple of previews and she loved them, so just wondering what i could improve on! I do realize the subject is in the middle in all them and need to work on that with the next shoot.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1633/24848276154_518482f0dc_b.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1642/25452710236_f117e54469_b.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1647/24848290024_d7d3b4fde1_b.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1702/25452721986_0cb1a1483e_b.jpg

Canon 6D
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mamaof2
Goldmember
1,361 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2014

Mar 09, 2016 16:34 |  #2

Congrats to the couple

1. Wish they were on top of the hump of the bridge instead of on he other side of it. Feel it is to far away, so they get lost.
2. To harsh of light on their face and wish there was not the heavy shadow on their bodies
3. Guessing these were taken midday? The shadows across the face ruin the picture imo
4. Love the ring :)

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickr (external link)

Amadauss
667 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by Amadauss.

Mar 09, 2016 19:13 |  #3

agree with above. Next time, if you can bring along a friend and have them hold a diffuser over them so the sun is not so harsh or use some flash or a reflector to balance. Or talk them into later day.

1-1Dx II 1-5D Mark 4, 3-5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 2-7D's, 70D, canon 70-200 2.8 L IS II, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 85 1.2, 50mm, 135 mm F2 L, 17-40 , 24-105, Sigma 35 Art and 18-35 1.8, 600 EX's, Elinchrom RX and Phottix 500 strobes

Brad999
420 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by Brad999. (3 edits in all)

Mar 10, 2016 05:05 |  #4

I like the sitting photo the best, as the male is so tall, and as a consequence, has to push his neck out to see down.

For the ballon shot, the grade of the grass tails off to the left, so maybe get him over on that side. You could really take advantage of the elevation of the bridge with him leaning against the rail just over the crest, by a couple of inches, and her leaning into him from the top.

I also like the ring shot, but his shirt sleeve needs to be pulled down.

I think you did well here.

Camlee0814
THREAD ­ STARTER
371 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 21, 2016 16:58 |  #5

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Will keep the little details in mind for the next shoot.

Canon 6D
flickr (external link)

sirquack
Goldmember
2,558 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2013

Mar 23, 2016 11:00 |  #6

Give yourself a little more room on the second and last photo. The crop is so tight on #2 that you almost lose his elbow and her him. The last one, would have benefited by having a little more breathing room on the hands as well.
Definitely agree with the first one just being wrong placement of the couple. Having them at the middle of the bridge would have allowed you to see all of them.
But overall, I think you did a pretty good job.

Name is Ron.
Bodies - 6D/5D3/7D2-Gripped
Lenses - Canon 17-40 F4/24-70 F2.8 II/85 F1.8/Canon 70-200 F2.8 II/F4/Sigma 30 DC/Tamron 150-600
Website (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Camlee0814
THREAD ­ STARTER
371 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Mar 23, 2016 12:21 |  #7

On the first one my thought process was to have the bridge kind of lead the eye to the them. But I see what everyone is saying and I have a couple of them standing on the bridge as well just liked that one for some reason.

Canon 6D
flickr (external link)

rejay14
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 23, 2016 20:43 |  #8

If using Lightroom, bring down the highlights and raise the contrast a touch.. my $0.02

1DX Mark II, 5D Mark IV, 40D,Rebel XT :lol:, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, 100-400L IS II,24-105 II L, 100mmL 2.8 IS, 16-35L 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8L II, Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, Sekonic 758DR, Pixma 9500 II, Pixma 9000 II, Think Tank Airport Accelerator v2.0, Canon 600EX-RT x 5, Profoto B1 Kit with too many modifiers http:// …www.PrestigePhotoPro.c​om (external link) Portfolio (external link)
Concert Photography (external link)

MBB89
256 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Mar 23, 2016 21:16 |  #9

My .02 (which might be worth a lot less than that).

(1) Nice solid shot IMO. I don't love that the subjects blend into the background a little more than I'd like, and I think this shot would be stronger if they were standing on the bridge with her leaning against one of the railings. This would also help the geometry of the bridge lead you to the couple. The highlights in her hair look a bit hot.

Not the most creative shot but IMO every engagement needs 15 or so shots like this (solid and easy).

(2) Also solid. Not much to say other than the crop on his elbow is kinda tight. An easy follow-up to this would be to just have them touch foreheads and smile. 2 for the price of 1.

(3) The balloons aren't really me but if they are your style and clients like it then all the power to you. The woman's pose feels a little flat-footed but isn't horrible. The shadows on the faces are not great, perhaps seek out some shade next time?

(4) Pretty standard, not much to say. I like these shots more when you can see the couples faces in the background somewhere.

General thoughts:
(1) Wtf is the dude wearing? Those shoes should never leave the house IMO.
(2) Try to shoot at better times of day if you can. You had a lot of harsh lighting here and it just makes everything more challenging.
(3) You have the solid stuff down so try some more creative ideas in the future (different focal lengths, perspectives, poses, lighting, etc.).

Roamingbull
628 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Mar 31, 2016 17:08 |  #10

Time of day would have really worked better for you. Understand that is not always possible, but if that is the case, look for more shaded areas. The bridge pic was a good concept, but did not like them cut off that way. either have them further back and the bridge faded out in the foreground, or have them better centered/composed.

Shoes... someone commented on that. You can suggest better stuff, but what they show up with is what you work with.

Ring shot was good, but I thought it was a little flat. Maybe try to get more blur on the background, and here is where fill light would have been great.

Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer....
My web site is Eternal Reflections (external link)
Gear List: Got lots of good stuff of my own, and I use Borrow Lens.com for the rest.

sponsored links

2,632 views & 4 likes for this thread
Engagement Photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.