Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 12 Mar 2016 (Saturday) 06:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 150-600 Sports/Contemporary Firmware Update for Faster AF

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Mar 12, 2016 06:02 |  #1

Firmware seems to have been released to improve AF speeds 20-50%, please report your findings!

http://www.sigma-global.com …il/150_600_5_63​_S014.html (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links
BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 12, 2016 06:58 |  #2

Having moved house three weeks ago my dock is still hiding in one of the boxes that is as yet unpacked. Will try to find it and see how things go. As I now have open fields all around my new place it seems the perfect time to do a bit of bird photography. We think we have at least four songbird nests in the hedge around our gardens, including possibly a Robin.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Mar 12, 2016 07:08 |  #3

AF seems snappier, but I still get that "Sigma jitter", where the AF ratchets a little bit. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

eddieb1
843 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Mar 12, 2016 07:35 |  #4

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17932652 (external link)
AF seems snappier, but I still get that "Sigma jitter", where the AF ratchets a little bit. Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.

What is the "Sigma jitter" ? Never heard of it.

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 12, 2016 07:38 as a reply to  @ eddieb1's post |  #5

In AI Servo while shooting seemingly stationary subjects while holding down AF ON, Sigma lenses can jitter back and forth. I don't get this with my Canon USM lenses. Very minute adjustments back and forth... It is as if the lens and body argue a bit. It's not a body thing, I have seen this on several bodies with a few of my Sigmas. Sometimes they just lock and don't move, other times meh.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,973 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by BigAl007.

Mar 12, 2016 09:56 |  #6

Well I found the dock and the update is done. The AF is now really snappy, definitely quicker than it used to be. This is the first time I have really seriously tried it out on static targets like this, but I did notice a little bit of jitter with BBF/AI Servo. My other Sigma lenses are not HSM, I have had it once or twice only with my 20-40 EX DG f/2.8 but never noticed it on the cheap 28-300. I'm shooting on a 50D.

I shot a few hand held out of my bedroom window of one of the local Robins, through the double glazing. Focus looks OK but they all look a bit soft on the camera LCD at max zoom. Two panes of window glass will do that though. Time to get the bedroom furniture arranged so I can set the camera up on the tripod and open the window in order to shoot.

Alan

Oh something else I noticed after downloading the test shots I did is that the lens description has changed in LR, I'm still using LR4.4. Instead of just having the focal length it is showing the full makers name and model designation.

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Orogeny
978 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Mar 15, 2016 14:19 |  #7

Haven't had the chance to use it on anything challenging, but the little bit of testing I have been able to do makes me real anxious for some time off to go test it on some small birds or birds in flight. The lens really snaps to focus, although I do understand what you are calling "Sigma jitter".

Tim

There's someone in my head, but it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

LBinAZ
69 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 21, 2016 16:07 |  #8

This is firmware version 1.02 for the Contemporary Lens, and version 1.04 for the Sports lens..... just to clarify. I just updated my 150-600 C, will take it out over the weekend and see if I can tell a difference in the AF speeds! May also throw on the Canon 1.4TC v2 and see how the AF speed is with that combo now.

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Mar 23, 2016 12:30 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17932652 (external link)

"Sigma jitter" boy that's a new one! My S doesn't "jitter" and I have never even heard of that phrase.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 23, 2016 16:40 |  #10

You have never heard of the term jitter? It is a very common technical term in electronics.

Stregone
232 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 23, 2016 19:04 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #11

I've experienced jitter with canon lenses.

flickr (external link)
500px (external link)
[Youpic] (external link)

Jeff ­ Donald
39 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Mar 24, 2016 02:09 |  #12

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17932681 (external link)
In AI Servo while shooting seemingly stationary subjects while holding down AF ON, Sigma lenses can jitter back and forth. I don't get this with my Canon USM lenses. Very minute adjustments back and forth... It is as if the lens and body argue a bit. It's not a body thing, I have seen this on several bodies with a few of my Sigmas. Sometimes they just lock and don't move, other times meh.

All of my Canon lenses jitter, including 300mmf/2.8, 100mm macro (possibly the worst), 15mm Fisheye (another bad one), and 17-40mm. The lens that does it the least is the 24-105mm L. It doesn't matter the body either. The jitter occurs with 3 different 1 series bodies and the 7D MkII. Chuck Westfall has written that this is normal in AI Servo.

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Joined May 2002

Mar 24, 2016 04:51 |  #13

I don't believe the ratcheting is normal. I have had sigma do this on a 1d3 but canon lenses didn't. After the the 1d3 was sent in for their mirror box recall, the sigma stopped doing it. Then my 1d4 had the same issues. I have not seen this with canon late model lenses. There is something amiss in AF communications, tolerances, etc. I have seen this with older canon lenses too, but not with any of the mkii lenses. Often when a manufacturer knows something is a little off, will they call it normal. It is a common joke in the software industry to call a long lasting and known software bug a "feature". It just means that either a solution isn't known yet or the fix hasn't been prioritized.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,601 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 24, 2016 05:52 |  #14

http://www.dictionary.​com/browse/jitter (external link)
verb (used without object)
3. to behave nervously.

I'd say that's a good match for the described lens "feature"

I have found a common way to experience jitter is fitting an extension tube (and even more so if teleconverter also fitted) to a lens and attempting to AF. My 100-400 II will do it with all 3 bodies I own but is well behaved without the tube.

Dave
Image editing OK

TeamSpeed
THREAD ­ STARTER
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Mar 24, 2016 07:30 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #15

It is definitely a combined lens/camera behavior. It is almost like the camera body tells the lens to focus to X, the lens tries, but doesn't have enough finely graduated gearing to quite get there, and goes too far, the camera says, whoa, back up a bit, and the lens goes back, but again focus is not quite right yet again, and it gets into this twitchy sequence.

I have seen some sigma and canon lenses on some bodies that in AI Servo, don't do this either. I haven't quite nailed down the conditions or combinations, but it does affect my shooting from time to time.

AI Servo should remain locked on a non-moving target without creating a situation where you run a burst as it does this jitter, causing a number of OOF images. You shouldn't have to go to One Shot with still objects. You never know when that bird is going to launch off a branch. :)

IMAGE: https://teamspeed.smugmug.com/Animals/In-the-Wild-Yonder/i-XqTpmsS/0/XL/5P1B1094-XL.jpg

In any case, it appears nobody has had any issues with the upgrade?!

sponsored links

6,601 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 150-600 Sports/Contemporary Firmware Update for Faster AF
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.